Realtek HD, Line In, Usb Headset out to speaker only

TheGlow

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I've got a bit of an odd one as I have gotten this to work 3 or 4 times but now it just doesn't work anymore.
Setup is I have a 22" LG Monitor with audio out. I have my xbox 360 with hdmi into the monitor, then the line out wire I have going down to the PC, into Line In.
Audio comes out of the speakers just fine. I plug in my MS Lifechat LX-3000, audio still comes out of the speakers for the 360.
Audio from the PC is coming out of the headset just fine.
Now when I did have it work I had went into the Windows Audio settings, to Recording, Line In, Listen, then checked Listen to this device, and set playback to headset. It worked. I tried this about 3 times in March and all was good. Since then I've tried with no luck.
If I set Line in to headset, and show the headsets volumes, it shows the Line In. If I mute the headset, it still comes out of the speakers. If I mute the Line In options, still comes out of the speakers. I set Line In to output to speakers, then mute Line In, STILL comes out of the speakers. If I mute speakers, then it stops.
So it seems this thing regardless of what I set line in to, headset, default or speakers, it goes to the speakers. If I mute the line in options, still plays through speakers.
I've played with it on and off over the months and now find it pretty annoying. Removed drives, put it newest, etc.
Just doesn't make any damn sense.
I see the Line In audio settings jump from Speakers to Headset when I change the "Listen to" setting. Oh yea, and If I uncheck the listen to this device, it plays out of the speakers still.
Quick test, plugged in standard headphones to front panel, it prompted what Jack it should use as, I selected headphones, speakers stopped and 360 audio came out of 3.5mm jack, still not usb.
Edit: switched the wire from Line In to Microphone and it is working as intended. Not sure what side effects this may have, or if it will eventually stop working as well. Very odd.

TheGlow

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
On a side story I opted to finally reinstall Windows 7 after 2 years or so since I had other issues, like ipv6, etc.
Upon fresh install, same behavior, but for line in as well as mic. It just refused to obey any setting I placed into the Windows audio gui.
I did show all disabled/disconnected devices and saw the stereo mixer. Once I enabled that, it allowed sound to come out of speakers and the headset simultaneously. So in the meantime I just lower the speaker volume with the knob all the way and make due. However theres an insane buzzing sound once stereo mixer is on. I have to set line in volume to 0, or it has an echo.
Additionally the stereo mixer sound, from 0-100, I have to set to 3 or 4, anything higher, and I get that crazy buzzing. Funny is its linked to my mouse/screen behavior. Left click dragging to select parts of my desktop results in atari type sound effects. even if the monitor is off. When input changed, its not as bad.
Still would have liked this to work as it is supposed to.

TheGlow

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

If only it were that easy. Set speakers to default, then plug in headset, set headset to default, still to speakers.
I mean, once I uncheck "Listen to this device" shouldn't it, I dunno, disable it?
Nope. Everything comes out of the speakers. I think its just something with how the realtek drivers try and hijack control.
Everything else works perfectly fine. Once Headset is set as default, all my PC sounds come out of speakers, youtube, mp3s playing, etc, once I plug into the line in, JUST line in comes out of the speakers, everything else still out of the headset.