Sign in with
Your question

Do I really need a new power supply?

Last response: in Components
August 11, 2012 3:08:59 AM

okay so I've been having issues lately with my comp freezing up or shutting down at random and have discovered its the power supply. I replaced it about a year ago when I got a new Graphics card the saphire 6570. It was a 500 watt supply by corsair. I plugged in the old supply that came with it which is only 250 watts and everything is running fine. The card says it required 400 watts. I'll admit I don't do anything super heavy or demanding as far as graphics. I really only got the card was because I wanted and HDMI output to use my tv as a 2nd monitor. Gameplay wise I play star wars the old republic. Should I buy a new power suppy?

More about : power supply

August 11, 2012 6:19:22 AM

with a 6570 yes u do at least a 400w
m
l
August 11, 2012 6:55:49 AM

Yes you should be using at least a good 400watt PSU to run that thing. It may have run on a 250watt but I assume you weren't gaming with that? When idle PC components drain far less juice. If you were gaming and the PSU was holding up you have been very lucky.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 12:23:27 PM

animematic said:
okay so I've been having issues lately with my comp freezing up or shutting down at random and have discovered its the power supply. I replaced it about a year ago when I got a new Graphics card the saphire 6570. It was a 500 watt supply by corsair. I plugged in the old supply that came with it which is only 250 watts and everything is running fine. The card says it required 400 watts. I'll admit I don't do anything super heavy or demanding as far as graphics. I really only got the card was because I wanted and HDMI output to use my tv as a 2nd monitor. Gameplay wise I play star wars the old republic. Should I buy a new power suppy?

Without the rest of your specs that's a rather tough call
Then again, it's a pretty low power card

These guys use a highend overclocked I7-975 system for testing
http://techgage.com/article/amds_sub-100_line-up_radeon...

199 watts running 3dmark Vantage ( similar to gaming type loads )
~80% efficiency
~160 watt load or about 65% of a 250 watt psu's capability

Unless your running a system like the one used in the review you really have nothing to worry about
m
l
!