Sign in with
Your question

Overheating CPU

Last response: in CPUs
August 11, 2012 3:25:12 AM

Hi,

I'm having some problems with my CPU (Intel i7 3820) temperature getting way too high.

It idles at around 44-50 degrees C and when under full load can reach up to 80 degrees C.

I have reapplied the thermal paste on the CPU which dropped the temps down to 35-40 at idle and 60 at full load. I did this downstairs which is cooler than in my room.

But when I set everything back up in my room, the temps have all gone back to being high again.

My room is hotter than the rest of the house but it's not that bad and definitely very bearable. I don't actually know the temps downstairs or in my room in as I don't have a temperature measuring device. I know room temperature can affect the the temperature of a CPU but a 10 degree C difference seems a bit excessive.

I'm not sure what is causing it to heat up so badly in my room.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

More about : overheating cpu

August 11, 2012 3:40:22 AM

Buy a house in the artic or move to Siberia....... :p 

If you think those temperatures are very terrible. then get a aftermarket CPU cooler like a Hyper212+
August 11, 2012 4:01:50 AM

80 degrees C is quite high and therefore not good... seems more like a fact than an opinion :) 

I've looked around the internet and it seems that 60-ish at 100% load should be about right (though correct me if I am wrong).

I guess that buying a better CPU cooler is an option but I'm just confused about why a warmer room would cause a 10 degree difference in the CPU temps.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 11, 2012 4:06:42 AM

Sorry, I can't edit my post.

At full load in my room... 80 degrees C

At full load downstairs... 60 degrees C

The gap is huge :/ 
a c 109 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 4:31:48 AM

Toney90 said:
Sorry, I can't edit my post.

At full load in my room... 80 degrees C

At full load downstairs... 60 degrees C

The gap is huge :/ 

Ambient temperatures upstairs and downstairs? This may be the biggest factor IMO
August 11, 2012 9:17:58 AM

mocchan said:
Ambient temperatures upstairs and downstairs? This may be the biggest factor IMO

OP's dilemma is how could the temp increase by that much, seeing as it's in the same house.

Should put a thermometer to check the temps of the rooms.
August 11, 2012 10:15:53 PM

OK so I purchased a room thermometer and my room temp is around 22.5-23 degrees C. Downstairs temp is 20 degrees C.

I also moved my PC back downstairs but the temps are still high (like it was in my room). Now going above 80 degrees C at full load.

I am tempted to reapply the thermal paste but it would be the 3rd time in 2 weeks and am a bit over it :p  But if you guys think it would be a good idea then I'll give it another shot :) 

I only put a thin line of paste across the CPU last time and I didn't spread it. Like I said in earlier posts, it seemed to lower the temps but after carting it back up to my room, the temps have gone back up to what I started with. Now am back downstairs with no change...

a c 109 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 10:18:58 PM

Considering there's only a 3 degree difference between your rooms, I'm more concerned about how well you attached the cooler to your CPU. I'm suspecting it may be coming loose after you're carrying it.

What cooler are you using? If you posted it already, I'm sorry, I must have missed it.
a c 109 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 10:31:39 PM

Toney90 said:
http://www.officenerd.co.uk/info/Intel-RTS2011AC-Therma...(Air-Cooling)-for-Intel-LGA2011-CPU-Sockets-754265

I have screwed it in as tight as the screws will let me. I have tried pulling on the fan and it doesn't budge.

Thanks for clarifying, and now I'm wondering what's going on with your CPU.

It seems odd that it would increase temperatures 20C just by moving your PC upstairs.
August 11, 2012 10:34:57 PM

Yeah, moving the PC shouldn't have affected the paste either right?
a c 109 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 10:49:44 PM

Toney90 said:
Yeah, moving the PC shouldn't have affected the paste either right?

Theoretically, no it should not. As long as your cooler is mounted properly, it should have almost zero effects.

If your CPU is still running hot at the moment, can you take a CPU-Z screenshot? I'm concerned about the voltages now.
a c 104 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 10:51:44 PM

Right, unless your heatsink is loose......
a c 109 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 10:56:08 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Right, unless your heatsink is loose......

OP has already stated the screws were fully on and secure..so I don't think this is the problem.
August 11, 2012 10:57:12 PM

Will a CPUID HWMonitor screenshot work?
a c 109 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 11:00:02 PM

Toney90 said:
Will a CPUID HWMonitor screenshot work?

If you can provide both, it would be better. Since HWMonitor itself won't tell you the CPU voltages.
August 11, 2012 11:06:31 PM

Hope that works.
August 11, 2012 11:09:09 PM

August 11, 2012 11:28:12 PM

Okay, what should I lower them down to?

The guy in that post just defaulted his BIOS and got 1.256V... should I just aim for something close to that? Or just for anything lower than 1.4V?
a c 109 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 11:29:51 PM

Toney90 said:
Okay, what should I lower them down to?

The guy in that post just defaulted his BIOS and got 1.256V... should I just aim for something close to that? Or just for anything lower than 1.4V?

Yes I would recommend just taking it down from 1.4v little by little. See what the lowest you can go is before you start running into instability problems.

Test your CPU with programs preferably like Intel Burn-in Test or Prime95 on SmallFFT's
August 11, 2012 11:31:19 PM

Okay, will do that now, will let you know how it goes.

Also thanks for the help so far! :) 
a c 109 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 11:35:09 PM

Toney90 said:
Okay, will do that now, will let you know how it goes.

Also thanks for the help so far! :) 

Alright, good luck! :) 
August 12, 2012 1:16:01 AM

Back again :) 

So I used prime95 to test the voltages.

At 1.3V I got a max temp of 67.

1.25V got a max temp of 67

1.2V got a max temp of 62.

1.15V got a max temp of 62

Though the last test was done in my room, which is the warmest place in the house :) 

All the idle temps seem to have gone down by about 3-5C across all the cores.

So, I'm at 1.15V right now and it seems fine. Should I keep testing how low I can take it?

Thanks again for all your help mocchan. I really appreciate it!

Here's hoping it stays like this :p 
a c 109 à CPUs
August 12, 2012 1:26:22 AM

You'r very welcome :) 

Though the results are absolutely wonderful, you should probably run Prime95 overnight and see if it shows any errors (or 10+runs of Intel Burn Test if you got that instead) :) 

You can try and get the voltages down even lower if you'd like, but those results are wonder as is!
August 12, 2012 1:29:57 AM

I'll run the Prime95 test now as I'm just about to head to bed shortly anyway.

Good night and cheers :D 
a c 109 à CPUs
August 12, 2012 1:33:31 AM

Toney90 said:
I'll run the Prime95 test now as I'm just about to head to bed shortly anyway.

Good night and cheers :D 

Alright :) 

Best of luck and rest well, bud!
August 12, 2012 5:41:37 AM

Why was the voltage so high in the first place?
If you're going to OC, aim for the highest clock with the lowest voltage....
:) 

was beginning to wonder how your CPU is hotter than mine when the ambient temperature was 10 C lower than where I live.. :lol: 
a c 109 à CPUs
August 12, 2012 8:41:39 PM

greghome said:
Why was the voltage so high in the first place?
If you're going to OC, aim for the highest clock with the lowest voltage....
:) 

was beginning to wonder how your CPU is hotter than mine when the ambient temperature was 10 C lower than where I live.. :lol: 

I'm wondering that as well :lol: 

I'm guessing some Mobo's just default the 2011 CPU to those volts? I'm not sure, but from article I linked from OCN, it sure seems like it.
August 13, 2012 12:55:39 PM

Yeah, the CPU voltage was already that high when I got it.

I tend to not mess with the settings if I can help it :) 

Update:

I ran Prime95 overnight the other night and didn't seem to get any errors.

I stress tested it again last night and it got up to 67C, though the ambient temp was 24.5-25C then. This was at 1.15V. This was a bit surprising... thought my CPU was going back to it's bad habits :/ 

So I lowered it down to 1.1V and tested it again and the temp got up to 63C

So I opened my window and cooled down my room overnight. Got idle temps of 32-38C this morning and stress tested and it got up to 60C. Idle temps are around 35-41 after the testing, so a tad higher but I was guessing that it is normal considering the CPU heats up from all the stress testing.

I wasn't sure if I should lower the voltage anymore as I heard that if it is set to low, it can crash when it idles.
August 13, 2012 1:02:28 PM

I'd say push it ;) 
That's what enthusiast do right?

If you're worried about crashes, then just stick to whatever you've achieved.
August 13, 2012 1:06:22 PM

Good call, nothing to lose. :D 

And TF2 reference, :p 
August 13, 2012 9:13:28 PM

I just got a memory allocation failure, I'm not sure it that's related to what I'm doing.

I'm guessing it's just that my programs are using more RAM than I actually have?

Though at the moment, lowering the voltages more doesn't seem to be making much of a difference in the temps too much.
a c 104 à CPUs
August 13, 2012 9:28:45 PM

I think that means there is something wrong with your RAM...
August 13, 2012 9:34:41 PM

OK :/ 

Does that mean, it's faulty or should I just buy more RAM ? :) 
a c 104 à CPUs
August 13, 2012 9:47:50 PM

When did you get it, in windows?
August 13, 2012 9:53:55 PM

Nah, it was when I was running a game. I don't think its related to lowering the voltage on the CPU but I thought I may as well ask :) 
a c 104 à CPUs
August 13, 2012 10:00:17 PM

Yea that means you are using all your RAM or you have low virtual memory or RAM...
August 13, 2012 10:14:31 PM

Okay, will have to look into buying more RAM another time, thanks for you help jay_nar. :) 

Back on topic, my ambient temps around the PC are now 26/27C according to my room thermometer. I guess, now that my voltages are sorted out I may look into a different cooler for the CPU. Though British Summer is pretty short so I might not need one :D 

a c 109 à CPUs
August 13, 2012 11:13:37 PM

Wow that's nice to hear :)  glad to know your temps are much better now! :) 
August 13, 2012 11:19:29 PM

So I'm looking at some air coolers for my CPU but most of them have these large heat pipes which seem to require more space than my current stock fan.

I have an Asus Rampage IV Gene and the whole area around the CPU slot isn't that wide because of the surrounding slots being fairly close to it.

I was looking at these:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/noctua-nh-d14-2011-dual-...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/arctic-cooling-freezer-i...

I'm not entirely sure they will fit though. I don't want to buy one and end up not being able to fit it in :) 
August 13, 2012 11:30:41 PM

mocchan said:
Wow that's nice to hear :)  glad to know your temps are much better now! :) 

Hey mocchan, they are way better than what I had to start with :) 

Though it seems like the temps aren't lowering anymore as I lower the voltage. I'm just lowering the voltage to keep the temps as they are, if that makes sense?

it was maxing at 62C at 1.15V initially but then it started maxing at 67 at the same voltage.

So I had to lower it to 1.1V just to keep the max at 60C :/ 
a c 109 à CPUs
August 13, 2012 11:38:20 PM

Ahh I see, well 1.1v seems to be very reasonable along with the 60C temperature :)  As long as it's stable! (Still concerned about your RAM error you posted above...what game were you playing? And how many GB of RAM do you currently have installed?)

Also about your air cooler dilemma, I would vote the NH-D14 :)  It's one of my favorite air-coolers :lol: 

May I ask what case you are using? I forgot if you listed it or not, but if you did, I apologise for forgetting. However, I believe any cooler you choose will have enough clearance with your current motherboard. The only thing I would personally be concerned about would be your RAM.

What RAM are you currently using? If the heat-spreaders on them are very tall, the coolers may not fit.
August 13, 2012 11:52:25 PM

I was playing L.A. Noire.

I got a window saying that there was a problem, and that it was a memory allocation failure, and if I wanted to send Rockstar info about problem.

I haven't played the game since it happened (earlier today) but I figured it was because I was trying to use more RAM than I had. I have 4GB installed right now. 2 sticks of 2GB Corsair Dominators (I believe?).

Thanks for the recommendation! I will see if I can get a hold of one over here.

As for the case, am using an Antec 1200.

a c 109 à CPUs
August 14, 2012 12:00:14 AM

Ahhh okay, thanks for clearing that up :) 

I'm not too sure, but I also think that may be the case (RAM).

Anyway you're welcome :)  and your case should be able to support any cooler without a hitch.
August 14, 2012 12:12:12 AM

Yeah, I was checking the NH-D14 and it looks very tall(?) and pipes stick out a fair bit.
That's why I was unsure it would fit in my case or the slot :D 

But I will go for that one then. :) 

Am glad the temps seems reasonable, driving me up the wall for a while. You saved my sanity, haha. Thanks again mocchan :D 
a c 109 à CPUs
August 14, 2012 12:35:44 AM

:)  welcome
!