Toney90

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Hi,

I'm having some problems with my CPU (Intel i7 3820) temperature getting way too high.

It idles at around 44-50 degrees C and when under full load can reach up to 80 degrees C.

I have reapplied the thermal paste on the CPU which dropped the temps down to 35-40 at idle and 60 at full load. I did this downstairs which is cooler than in my room.

But when I set everything back up in my room, the temps have all gone back to being high again.

My room is hotter than the rest of the house but it's not that bad and definitely very bearable. I don't actually know the temps downstairs or in my room in as I don't have a temperature measuring device. I know room temperature can affect the the temperature of a CPU but a 10 degree C difference seems a bit excessive.

I'm not sure what is causing it to heat up so badly in my room.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Buy a house in the artic or move to Siberia....... :p

If you think those temperatures are very terrible. then get a aftermarket CPU cooler like a Hyper212+

Toney90

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
80 degrees C is quite high and therefore not good... seems more like a fact than an opinion :)

I've looked around the internet and it seems that 60-ish at 100% load should be about right (though correct me if I am wrong).

I guess that buying a better CPU cooler is an option but I'm just confused about why a warmer room would cause a 10 degree difference in the CPU temps.

Toney90

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Sorry, I can't edit my post.

At full load in my room... 80 degrees C

At full load downstairs... 60 degrees C

The gap is huge :/

Ambient temperatures upstairs and downstairs? This may be the biggest factor IMO

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

OP's dilemma is how could the temp increase by that much, seeing as it's in the same house.

Should put a thermometer to check the temps of the rooms.

Toney90

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
OK so I purchased a room thermometer and my room temp is around 22.5-23 degrees C. Downstairs temp is 20 degrees C.

I also moved my PC back downstairs but the temps are still high (like it was in my room). Now going above 80 degrees C at full load.

I am tempted to reapply the thermal paste but it would be the 3rd time in 2 weeks and am a bit over it :p But if you guys think it would be a good idea then I'll give it another shot :)

I only put a thin line of paste across the CPU last time and I didn't spread it. Like I said in earlier posts, it seemed to lower the temps but after carting it back up to my room, the temps have gone back up to what I started with. Now am back downstairs with no change...

Considering there's only a 3 degree difference between your rooms, I'm more concerned about how well you attached the cooler to your CPU. I'm suspecting it may be coming loose after you're carrying it.

What cooler are you using? If you posted it already, I'm sorry, I must have missed it.

Thanks for clarifying, and now I'm wondering what's going on with your CPU.

It seems odd that it would increase temperatures 20C just by moving your PC upstairs.

Theoretically, no it should not. As long as your cooler is mounted properly, it should have almost zero effects.

If your CPU is still running hot at the moment, can you take a CPU-Z screenshot? I'm concerned about the voltages now.

Toney90

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
7au1Y

Hope that works.

Toney90

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Okay, what should I lower them down to?

The guy in that post just defaulted his BIOS and got 1.256V... should I just aim for something close to that? Or just for anything lower than 1.4V?

Yes I would recommend just taking it down from 1.4v little by little. See what the lowest you can go is before you start running into instability problems.

Test your CPU with programs preferably like Intel Burn-in Test or Prime95 on SmallFFT's

Toney90

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Back again :)

So I used prime95 to test the voltages.

At 1.3V I got a max temp of 67.

1.25V got a max temp of 67

1.2V got a max temp of 62.

1.15V got a max temp of 62

Though the last test was done in my room, which is the warmest place in the house :)

All the idle temps seem to have gone down by about 3-5C across all the cores.

So, I'm at 1.15V right now and it seems fine. Should I keep testing how low I can take it?

Thanks again for all your help mocchan. I really appreciate it!

Here's hoping it stays like this :p

You'r very welcome :)

Though the results are absolutely wonderful, you should probably run Prime95 overnight and see if it shows any errors (or 10+runs of Intel Burn Test if you got that instead) :)

You can try and get the voltages down even lower if you'd like, but those results are wonder as is!