D3D or Open GL?

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Don't mess with FAT B he's a biker and he'll knock your d|Ük in the dirt.

:cool: <b><font color=purple>Change the sig of the week!</font color=purple></b> :cool:
And where's my COOKIE!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
lol

OpenGL is a better API overall than D3D. It's been going downhill in the past few months, but it's getting better. Of course, so is DirectX (and D3D), so who knows what the future will bring.

For Half Life, definitely OpenGL

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

G

I recall that the Half-Life engine was actually designed with OpenGL in mind, so performance is slightly better on that front. I've noticed that there are serious graphical flaws when I play the expansion packs running D3D.

Sample...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
unreal tournament behaves better in openGL too. (for me anyway)
know of any way to make it brighter? its rather gloomy and the brightness slider bar doesnt work (same as software rendering)

My hamster really wants to give you a big kiss, you sexy hunk you!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Turn up the brightness on your monitor. I keep mine around 85%. UT is really dark, I agree. Rather annoying.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I want to play ut online. I just got the game about a week ago with my sb live. Every time I try to play someone I have to download stuff forever then they kick me before I can play. Is there anyone here that wants to play without a custom map??

:cool: <b>Change the sig of the week!</b> :cool:
what's the dif between pink and purple? the grip

FatBurger

Illustrious
Someone here at work is complaining about the same problem. I'm going to head over to his house this afternoon to see if I can fix it. I'll let you know the results.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
mmmm just put in the WHQL 14.10 drivers.
so far no problems (cept for the usual slow mouse in freespace 2)
and d3d in UT behaves for a change.

and i prefer a working direct3d as the brightness slider bar actually works!

My hamster really wants to give you a big kiss, you sexy hunk you!

mpjesse

Splendid
I personally prefer DirectX as it supports more special effects (pixel shading and vertex shading, which only the Radeon 8500 and GF3 do). OpenGL is faster however- but more buggier as it's an open API. Half Life was designed around OpenGL though. In all reality, it won't matter since the MX400 is more than enough for half life.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Actually OpenGL features all these features and more. For example with the extensions you get 3D textures and GeForce3 HSR features. These aren't included in DX8.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

mentat_void

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2001
OpenGl by far! D3D sux compared to OpenGl in every game i have played. FOr instance in HL in D3D I get around 30 to 50 fps, then in OpenGL and get 60 to 99 fps! And the same quality!!! ANything that Microshit does, someone else does better. Also playing UT in Glide gets me about 80 to 170 fps, but I play it in D3D and get a wopping 50 fps. OpenGl is the best no questions asked. And all of the above was played in 1024*768 res. Of course my voodoo performed better in all these catagories than my current Geforce 2 mx 200. Of course you know who owns nvidia? M$. And now with voodoo out of the game what videocards do we have a choice in? There is no real competition anymore thanks to M$ and AOL bullshit thats floating around. Now that that sonofabitch Bush and Cheney is in office, M$ gets prefferential treatment from big brother. Of course with the our fuggin *ailing* economy, Bush has an excuse to make sure M$ rapes us all. Sense when does a president *give* orders to a judge to let a defendent of? I thought there was a constitutional thing about freedom of courts? We live in a fascist state allright.

800 Duron
ASUS A7V-E
128 ram
Geforce2mx
2#20 gig(5400&7200)
Win98se/Mandrake8