Sign in with
Your question

???How's this for a gaming rig???

Last response: in Systems
April 28, 2012 1:31:24 PM

I'm a first time computer builder and i am looking to build a computer that will last me a while without having to buy today's "latest and greatest". as i said before i am a first time builder so if there is any issues in this configuration then please go ahead and say so. my budget is $1500 on the computer itself i did not factor monitor or the keyboard and mouse. i have been researching for info about what parts to get and this is what i have come up with.

-CPU-AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core

i will not be overclocking right now but i bought the fan to leave myself the opportunity

-CPU fan- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.

it got great reviews and i want a fan because i feel that i will break anything with cooling liquid in my computer and spill it on my parts ;D

-Graphics Card- Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit

i was VERY unsure about this. please help enlighten me with pro's and con's. i also plan to run these in crossfire

-RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws-X 16 GB : 4 x 4 GB Memory - DIMM 240-pin - 1866 MHz

i know that you say that all of this is overkill but i plan on giving 8gb of it to my minecraft server so i can have hundreds of peaple play without lag

-Case- Thermaltake Level 10 Series Level 10 GTS Snow Edition Mid Tower

OR

NZXT Phantom 410 White

the NZXT is cheaper so i am most likely going to go with it for $$$ purposes. if you know any cool full tower cases i will look at them. (dont care if it is mid or full, i have plenty of disk space)

PSU-Corsair TX750 V2 -750 Watt

i don't think i will ever need any more wattage. Right? it is semi-modular and BRONZE certified 80 PLUS and all that good stuff

-Motherboard- ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional AM3+ AMD 990FX

goes with the theme of red i just realized i had. but i dont quite understand socket types??? help
plz

-HDD- Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB

IDK the rpm. i did not say on the newegg page and i didn't know where to look to find that info

-SSD- Corsair Accelerator Series 60GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

need help understanding SATA

Other Questions
-do i need a special kind of cable to connect to an hd monitor or can i use a standard VGA cable
-how big is a 1ms delay,2ms,3ms...

thanks to all of you that take the time to help me

More about : gaming rig

April 28, 2012 1:39:06 PM

i5 2500 k is a much better CPU.
8 Gb should do you fine. Find something with these specs. DDR3 1600 CL9 (or lower) 1.5 V
get the Radeon 7850 or 7870. Performance and power draw is better
WD Caviar Green should be 5400 RPM. Maybe you can get 1 or 2 Tb instead of WD Blue/Black. They're faster.
m
l
April 28, 2012 1:40:58 PM

Sorry missed the part about using the rest for server. In that case that should be fine. 1866 MHz however is not much of an improvement in terms of performance compared to 1600 MHz. Might be worth it to just get the 1600.
m
l
Related resources
April 28, 2012 2:44:19 PM

l0v3rboi said:
i5 2500 k is a much better CPU.
8 Gb should do you fine. Find something with these specs. DDR3 1600 CL9 (or lower) 1.5 V
get the Radeon 7850 or 7870. Performance and power draw is better
WD Caviar Green should be 5400 RPM. Maybe you can get 1 or 2 Tb instead of WD Blue/Black. They're faster.

but what parts would i have to change out if i switched to the intel CPU?

if i put in two hdd's would i have to run them in RAID 0, or could i just use them as two separate drives?
what are the Pro's / Con's of running hard drives in RAID?
m
l
April 28, 2012 3:12:53 PM

Intel would be much better for your use. 2500k CPU and a z77 chipset motherboard. ASRock makes a nice mobo in the $120 range for a z77. Thats all youd have to change, and make sure your memory is 1.5v.
m
l
April 28, 2012 3:31:26 PM

The 6950 2GB video card is a really good card. I have one running in Eyefinity setup-3 23" screens@ 1080P which gives me a resolution of 5760x1080.
My PC specs are:
2600K cpu, 16 gigs ram, 120 SSD, 1 TB etc...
I mainly do FPS games but play some others like racing, 3rd person, strategy games.
So I would just change the CPU and motherboard to Intel.
If you use Steam let me know and I could add if you have any questions.
m
l
April 28, 2012 8:18:30 PM

sam_the_man said:
but what parts would i have to change out if i switched to the intel CPU?

if i put in two hdd's would i have to run them in RAID 0, or could i just use them as two separate drives?
what are the Pro's / Con's of running hard drives in RAID?

You need 3 Tb of space? Lol. I could barely fill my 500 Gb external HDD. I haven't done RAID before so I can't be of much help in that area.
m
l
April 29, 2012 3:39:50 AM

you might be lol-ing right now but with 3tb i am never going to need more space for all of the HD video i am going to be capturing
m
l
!