Is Xbox DVD double layer player? DVD7 and DVD9 Playing?

The Mfg. Date of my Xbox is 2005-01-15. Someone told me they thought the
Xbox DVD player could read double layer DVDs and that Halo 2 was a double
layer DVD game. Is this true? I lean toward doubting it.

If it is true then...if I mod my Xbox and burn a DVD7 or DVD9 program to a
double layer DVD will it work/run/play in the modded Xbox?

Thanks for the info.

Brian
10 answers Last reply
More about xbox double layer player dvd7 dvd9 playing

    Yes, Halo 2 is Dual layer. However, I'm not sure if the xbox will read a DL
    burned disc.
    <Brian@null.nuts> wrote in message
    > The Mfg. Date of my Xbox is 2005-01-15. Someone told me they thought the
    > Xbox DVD player could read double layer DVDs and that Halo 2 was a double
    > layer DVD game. Is this true? I lean toward doubting it.
    >
    > If it is true then...if I mod my Xbox and burn a DVD7 or DVD9 program to a
    > double layer DVD will it work/run/play in the modded Xbox?
    >
    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > Brian

    I can tell you from experience that the "Thomson" drive (reported as
    the worst of the bunch) plays Verbatim DVD+R DL discs so I suppose the
    Samsung drive and the other would too. And yes they're some game DL
    disks, Halo 2 being one of them. Others are Jade Empire and Rallisport
    Challenge 2.

    "Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote:

    >Yes, Halo 2 is Dual layer. However, I'm not sure if the xbox will read a DL
    >burned disc.

    Hmmm...So you are saying the Xbox can read a dual layer DVD-ROM but not a
    dual layer DVD-R type? I would think that modding the Xbox would take care
    of whatever code issues might prevent this but I suppose not if the
    physical dual layer read is different between the two types of DVDs?

    Thanks.

    Brian

    > "Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, Halo 2 is Dual layer. However, I'm not sure if the xbox will read a
    >>DL
    >>burned disc.
    >
    > Hmmm...So you are saying the Xbox can read a dual layer DVD-ROM but not a
    > dual layer DVD-R type? I would think that modding the Xbox would take
    > care
    > of whatever code issues might prevent this but I suppose not if the
    > physical dual layer read is different between the two types of DVDs?

    modding doesn't have a whole lot to do with it... if the media and the drive
    are incompatible, you'll get nothing... all the mod allows you to do is read
    stuff they don't want you to, but it won't help read a format that the drive
    cannot handle

    the xbox comes with 4 different drives, each with different compatibility
    result

    it's not always about the standard, it's about the particular media.
    (i.e. not all cd-rs are read, not all cd-rws etc.etc.) and the
    different optical drives muddy the water further.

    Plus, Halo 2 is pressed, media off your PC is burnt which again makes a
    big difference

    what the heck are you saying man??

    DVD-R DL are quite literally brand new to the market. I doubt too many
    people have laid they're paws on them (unless you live in Japan). If
    you're talking about DVD+R DL, they're not dying at all. There are
    expensive because they are not in high supply right now but they're not
    that old either (albeit not brand new such as the - variant). + has
    always been slightly less compatible with DVD players but that's why
    most burners allow you to change the booktype before burning. Even
    still, 89% of older DVD players play'em ( - is 93%) and just about
    every new one does or should. The second layer doesn't make a
    difference. I suggest you do a litte research before typing next time.
    Likewise, If your DVD player wont play a dual layer, you'd best not buy
    the $1.99 Apex special anymore.

    http://marketnews.ca/news_detail.asp?nid=733
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

    "nways"

    for the sake of resolution, what are you hinting at Brian?
    A 7 Gig program? Gimee a break.....Are you asking if a pirated Halo 2
    (or any 4.5+ gig game) will play on a modded xbox via Dual Layer media,
    the answer is yes......sheeeesh......Go buy a 3 pack at Walmart,
    they're 19 bucks now.

    Wait...hold on a second...

    If Halo 2 is DL and will play on all Xboxes then doesn't that confirm that
    its four different DVD players all will read DL games?

    Are you saying that they all will read DVD-DL-ROMs but only some, and not
    the Phillips DVD player, will read DVD-DL-Rs? If so, is this the end of
    the line or is anyone working on figuring out how to write a DL-R that any
    of the Xbox DVD players will read?

    I guess the easiest and maybe better route is still to install a larger HDD
    since you can then play large DVD7 & DVD9 (DL games?) off it and they will
    load faster too?

    Thanks.

    Brian

    <Brian@null.nuts> wrote in message
    > "Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, Halo 2 is Dual layer. However, I'm not sure if the xbox will read a
    >>DL
    >>burned disc.
    >
    > Hmmm...So you are saying the Xbox can read a dual layer DVD-ROM but not a
    > dual layer DVD-R type?

    Possibly, not many DVD players will read a DL DVD-R, which is why they are
    dying a slow death.

    ohhh, and unlike you, I'll provide you a link as to the validity of my
    statement. I have learned something new as well. Apparently the Thomson
    drive is better than most people has thought, seeing as how it'll play
    a DVD+R DL (given you burn it right [booktype, force Xbox Compatiblity)
    and the Samsung drive will not.

    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=383728&hl=dvd\+r+dl

    Any more conclusions brain child prodigy?

Console Gaming DVD Xbox Video Games