Is Xbox DVD double layer player? DVD7 and DVD9 Playing?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

The Mfg. Date of my Xbox is 2005-01-15. Someone told me they thought the
Xbox DVD player could read double layer DVDs and that Halo 2 was a double
layer DVD game. Is this true? I lean toward doubting it.

If it is true then...if I mod my Xbox and burn a DVD7 or DVD9 program to a
double layer DVD will it work/run/play in the modded Xbox?

Thanks for the info.

Brian

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yes, Halo 2 is Dual layer. However, I'm not sure if the xbox will read a DL
burned disc.
<Brian@null.nuts> wrote in message
> The Mfg. Date of my Xbox is 2005-01-15. Someone told me they thought the
> Xbox DVD player could read double layer DVDs and that Halo 2 was a double
> layer DVD game. Is this true? I lean toward doubting it.
>
> If it is true then...if I mod my Xbox and burn a DVD7 or DVD9 program to a
> double layer DVD will it work/run/play in the modded Xbox?
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Brian

theone

I can tell you from experience that the "Thomson" drive (reported as
the worst of the bunch) plays Verbatim DVD+R DL discs so I suppose the
Samsung drive and the other would too. And yes they're some game DL
disks, Halo 2 being one of them. Others are Jade Empire and Rallisport
Challenge 2.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote:

>Yes, Halo 2 is Dual layer. However, I'm not sure if the xbox will read a DL
>burned disc.

Hmmm...So you are saying the Xbox can read a dual layer DVD-ROM but not a
dual layer DVD-R type? I would think that modding the Xbox would take care
of whatever code issues might prevent this but I suppose not if the
physical dual layer read is different between the two types of DVDs?

Thanks.

Brian

Mike

Splendid

> "Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>>Yes, Halo 2 is Dual layer. However, I'm not sure if the xbox will read a
>>DL
>>burned disc.
>
> Hmmm...So you are saying the Xbox can read a dual layer DVD-ROM but not a
> dual layer DVD-R type? I would think that modding the Xbox would take
> care
> of whatever code issues might prevent this but I suppose not if the
> physical dual layer read is different between the two types of DVDs?

modding doesn't have a whole lot to do with it... if the media and the drive
are incompatible, you'll get nothing... all the mod allows you to do is read
stuff they don't want you to, but it won't help read a format that the drive
cannot handle

the xbox comes with 4 different drives, each with different compatibility
result

theone

it's not always about the standard, it's about the particular media.
(i.e. not all cd-rs are read, not all cd-rws etc.etc.) and the
different optical drives muddy the water further.

Plus, Halo 2 is pressed, media off your PC is burnt which again makes a
big difference

theone

what the heck are you saying man??

DVD-R DL are quite literally brand new to the market. I doubt too many
people have laid they're paws on them (unless you live in Japan). If
you're talking about DVD+R DL, they're not dying at all. There are
expensive because they are not in high supply right now but they're not
that old either (albeit not brand new such as the - variant). + has
always been slightly less compatible with DVD players but that's why
most burners allow you to change the booktype before burning. Even
still, 89% of older DVD players play'em ( - is 93%) and just about
every new one does or should. The second layer doesn't make a
difference. I suggest you do a litte research before typing next time.
Likewise, If your DVD player wont play a dual layer, you'd best not buy
the $1.99 Apex special anymore.

http://marketnews.ca/news_detail.asp?nid=733
http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

theone

"nways"

for the sake of resolution, what are you hinting at Brian?
A 7 Gig program? Gimee a break.....Are you asking if a pirated Halo 2
(or any 4.5+ gig game) will play on a modded xbox via Dual Layer media,
the answer is yes......sheeeesh......Go buy a 3 pack at Walmart,
they're 19 bucks now.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Wait...hold on a second...

If Halo 2 is DL and will play on all Xboxes then doesn't that confirm that
its four different DVD players all will read DL games?

Are you saying that they all will read DVD-DL-ROMs but only some, and not
the Phillips DVD player, will read DVD-DL-Rs? If so, is this the end of
the line or is anyone working on figuring out how to write a DL-R that any
of the Xbox DVD players will read?

I guess the easiest and maybe better route is still to install a larger HDD
since you can then play large DVD7 & DVD9 (DL games?) off it and they will
load faster too?

Thanks.

Brian

<Brian@null.nuts> wrote in message
> "Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>>Yes, Halo 2 is Dual layer. However, I'm not sure if the xbox will read a
>>DL
>>burned disc.
>
> Hmmm...So you are saying the Xbox can read a dual layer DVD-ROM but not a
> dual layer DVD-R type?

Possibly, not many DVD players will read a DL DVD-R, which is why they are
dying a slow death.

theone

ohhh, and unlike you, I'll provide you a link as to the validity of my
statement. I have learned something new as well. Apparently the Thomson
drive is better than most people has thought, seeing as how it'll play
a DVD+R DL (given you burn it right [booktype, force Xbox Compatiblity)
and the Samsung drive will not.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=383728&hl=dvd\+r+dl

Any more conclusions brain child prodigy?