Sign in with
Your question

Monitor Randomly Shuts Off

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2012 6:22:20 PM

Hey all, I have an odd monitor problem.

I have a HANNspree HF237 monitor hooked to a GTX-570 via DVI cable.

Starting yesterday, my monitor will randomly go black. But the LED light near the power button stays blue (blue means it is powered on and receiving a signal, and amber means no signal).

If I turn the monitor off and then back on, it will show my screen for about 2 seconds before it goes black again, but the LED still stays blue.

If I restart the system, the problem goes away, at least for a little while.

I tried hooking up the DVI cable to the other DVI port on my GTX-570 and that did not solve the problem.

I purchased this monitor in December 2009, so it is not that old.

I did not update any drivers or anything else since yesterday.

I am running a Core i7-975 with 12GB Corsair Dominator and an Intel 320 series 120gb SSD. My GTX-570 was made by Galaxy and purchased in December, and has worked flawlessly since then. I have never had a single other problem with my system.

It seems like I might need a new monitor, but I wanted to rule out anything else before I go spend $200 on a new display.

Thanks.

More about : monitor randomly shuts

a c 91 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2012 6:35:23 PM

could you try another monitor or you got a tv that you could plug the mobo to be shure that is the monitor not the graphic card aand if your motherboard got a onboard graphic card would try that with your monitor and remove the gtx 570 before doing this
m
l
February 20, 2012 6:37:54 PM

I have my TV I could plug it in to, but the issue is so random and I cannot replicate it. It just happens for a while then stops. I suppose I could plug my computer in to my TV for the rest of the day, but my family might not be happy...
m
l
Related resources
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2012 6:54:25 PM

if it does it on tv then you graphic card need a rma
m
l
February 21, 2012 12:52:42 AM

Yeah I am going to hook my laptop up to the display for a few days and see if it still happens.

Also, something else just happened today. I hit the windows key + L to lock my computer and then I turned off the monitor and walked away for like 10 minutes. I came back and turned on the monitor, clicked my portrait to log in (I don't have a password), and as soon as the desktop came up the display disappeared.
m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2012 12:57:32 AM

laptop test then if monitor work good if you could get a spare graphic card for test be fine if test card work then the gtx 570 graphic card need rma
m
l
!