Frustrated son requires an 8 pin atx to 6 pin pci-e crossfire 5870s

wozuby

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Hello, my son is the process in cross firing 5870 and he has already 1 fitted for a while now. All the psu leads are being used including 2 x 6 pin pci-e for the already fitted card. He has a spare psu leads which are 2 off 8 pin male ( must clarify not female) and he has 1x 8 pin female to 6 pin pci-e adapter which came with his Thermaltake 850 w psu and he requires another 8 pin female to 6 pin pci-e adapter lead. For the life of me can i find this cable no!! just the oppersite.
Any advise or links to where I can buy this lead will be a god send. We have emailed Thermaltake and still waiting on a reply.

wozuby

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Thanks for your quick replies really apreciate it. The model is W0131 and it's simular to your image Kari but it has 6x6pins and 1x 8 pin but they are all used up but it has 2x 8pin coming out of the main power leads if that makes sense? hence why we have only the 2x 8pins leads left.

It would be great if TT where to send us some adapter leads. I dont understand why we cant get hold of the cables ?

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
re you sure you have that 8 pin connector in the right place? I suspect it actually goes to the CPU power supply on the motherboard. Or maybe I misunderstood your description.
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-850M 850W
PCI-Express Connector6 x 6+2-Pin. Connectors should be there. Maybe they look like 8 pin but the 6 pin and 2 pin separate.

Kari

Splendid

from that link
"Four 6pin PCI-E connector for Multi-GPU Graphic Cards."

edit: you might wanna edit the thread title, '8pin atx' is sometimes used to mean the 8pin EPS connector that goes into mobo, it delivers power for the cpu, and has different wiring than the 8pin pci-e power connector

wozuby

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

Sorry if its confusing not pc literate. If I could post a photo I would.

All we need is a 1x (as we have 1 already) 6pin pci-e male to fit in the 5870 and other end a 8 pin female to fit the 2x 8pin male cables direct from the psu lead .

HTH

wozuby

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

I know every one is doing there best to understand this awful thread of a dad trying help his son, I really have not got a clue and im trying my best to help you guys to help me, the pc has been given to a local pc shop and he says get the cable and i will fit the other card etc. He said thats all I need, Im sure ive confused you all.

Sorry I do not know Kari what 8pin atx and 8pinEPS are?

wozuby

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

No not 1 cable on there is what were are after!!

ok i will try again to explain, from the psu we have 2 x 6 pin pci-e ( cables plugged into the psu) and the ends of those are plugged into the 2 x 6pin 5870. so no more 6pins left over.

But coming out of the psu are hard wired cables (not plugged) and out of those are 2x 8pin pci-e which probably for a nvidia card ? of which do not the ati 6 pin. Therefor the ends of these are 8 pin male we have a adapter 8pin female to 6pin pci-e male to fit another ati card so we need 1 more cable.

Does this now make sense( fingers crossed).

Thanks again for all your help guys.

wozuby

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

Sorry Kari :eek:

You can't educate this old dog Kari :non:

I will try again tomorrow as its late, i tried clicking the insert image hoping to send a photo but heh no luck with that either.

Thanks again for your all your help

wozuby

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Thermaltake have replied and are sending replacement cables, great news, I will let you know how we get on and thanks all very much for your help, but still puzzled why we can't find anyone selling these cables!!

regards

wozuby

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

Yes issue was solved, Thermaltake sent me 2 cables free of charge, sent from Germany, great service.

We were very surprised, it was like looking for hens teeth.

Thanks again for all your advise.