Sign in with
Your question

Building my PC: 1st boot no boot issue

Last response: in Systems
April 28, 2012 3:40:34 PM

Hi,

I am building my 1st PC. I got all of the stuff in the US but I'm now overseas.

Processor: Intel i7 2600k
Motherboard: Intel DZ68BD
RAM:p atriot Div2ViperXtremPC3-1800 1600MHz 8GB(2x4GB) KIT
HDD:WD1002FAEX Caviar 1TB,7200rpm, 64MB, SATA 6G
Power Supply: Ultra 650w
Video Card:GeForce GT430
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400R

In the US I pre-assembled mobo-processor-RAM-HDD-VideoCard and PSU, without a monitor, and turned it on by hand to check if the assembly ran. Results: standby led turned on, all the fans ran and I felt that the HDD was moving.

Unfortunately after I bought the hardware, and once overseas, I read that Intel recommended 1333MHz RAM sticks; therefore I contacted Patriot's Technical Dep. and they emailed back informing that the 2 KITs, I bought, totaling 16GB RAM would run OK.

Trial 1. Turning it on after putting together mobo, processor, RAM, HDD, connecting PSU, video card, connecting Case's wiring to headers and hit the F2 key to see the BIOS. Results: "NO SIGNAL" on the monitor, no warning beeps from the mobo's speaker, the HDD led doesn't turn on, no boot and I can't Restart the PC by pushing it's button; nevertheless the processor fan, standby led, video card fan and front/back fans do run (to the touch it seems that the HDD runs). I turned off the PSU and unplugged it.

Trial 2. I removed the Video Card and turned the PC on with the monitor connected directly to the mobo and hit the F2 key to see the BIOS. Results: the results were exactly the same as in trial 1.

Trial 3. I removed additionally 3 sticks 4GB each and turned the PC on and hit the F2 key to see the BIOS; Results: the results were exactly the same as in trial 1.

Trial 4. I reinstalled 1 stick 4 GB, thus having the matched pair in DIMM 1 and DIMM 2 and hit the F2 key to see the BIOS. Results: the results were exactly the same as in trial 1.

Trial 5. I moved the BIOS Configuration Jumper from its original position (1-2) "Normal" to (2-3) "Configuration" and hit F2 key to enter the BIOS; Results: the results were exactly the same as in trial 1.

I have the feeling, as a wishful thinker, that it is only a matter of replacing the 1600MHz RAM with 1333MHz RAM modules.

I would be very grateful to read your opinions on my trials, suggestions on further trials, and recommendations on anything you feel necessary to solve my no-boot issue.
April 29, 2012 2:10:19 AM

:bounce: 
I'm one step ahead thanks to Chaz21's recommendation in divj's post "New build no boot", dated 04-28-2012 at 10:16 AM, to look into http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste.... It seems as Patriot's Tech Dep. is right and the sticks will work!

1.) The result of the above link Step "6. Have you tried booting with just one stick of RAM installed? (Try each stick of RAM individually in each RAM slot.)" was: inserting one stick into DIMM 4, my PC BOOTED! :pt1cable: 

2.) Now I'm looking for the manufacturer's specs to manually change the RAM speeds; so far I've got the following:

• Specifications
SPEED MEMORY TIMINGS VOLTAGE SETTINGS
PC3-12800 (1600MHz) 8-9-8-24 1.65V

From the above I understand from Patriot's specs that Memory Timings are as follows:
Memory Multiplicator: 12 : DDR3-1600
Memory Voltage: 1.65v
tCL = 8, tRCD = 9, tRP = 8 and tRAS = 24

3.) Nevertheless the BIOS System Setup at Performance> Memory Overrides> Memory Configuration has the following additional values that I have to look for:
tRFC, tRRD, tWR, tWTR, tRTP, tRC,tFAW and the possibility of setting CDM to Automatic, 1T or 2T. For the CDM I'll set it at Automatic.

I would be very grateful if you please make any comment, tips, suggestions and recommendations that you see fit. :??: 

m
l
!