Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrade now, later or buy new

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 28, 2012 4:14:20 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Either one month, or after win 8 relase , or after haswell

Country: Canada

Budget Range: 1300 dont' have to spend this. I probably won't be getting another computer for 4 years. We have an infant at home. I have been saving birthday gifts and christmas gifts, so my wife has no issue with me spending this money.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: GAMING, Currently play swtor. I play other gams like civ 5 and witcher 2

Parts Preferences: whatever is best for gaming.

Overclocking: I have never over clocked,

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 2nd monitor I use for web surfing and music player well gaming

Memory: 8GB


Current System
CPU E8400 3.00GHZ
GPU RADEON 5870
Antec 300
Cosair 750W PSU


Option 1 I am considering a few options. One upgrade the motherboard and cpu and (I belive memory) don't think I can use my current stuff. I was thinking of going ivy bridge. I think my PSU should be good. Its a number of years old, will that be a problem. I could keep the video card and put some cash away and buy a new one in a year.

Option 2 Wait tell win 8 comes out. Use my current computer as a 2nd pvr in my basement for when i want to watch some stuff well exercising. Then buy a whole new system (ivy bridge)

Option 3 Wait tell haswell comes out and buy a whole new system. I would probably have an extra 300 to 400 dollars at this point to spend.


Will I see a huge difference in option 1 since I would be keeping the same GPU, and are there any problems witht the PSU or case with installment issues?

Will I gain any advantage waiting for haswell?

Thanks for your time in advance

Cheers

More about : upgrade buy

April 28, 2012 4:22:29 PM

Waiting almost always helps as the same system a month from now will likely be cheaper. Of course while that is usually the rule that can sometimes bite you as the ups and downs of HD availability and prices in the last year has demonstrated.

I would say that trying to reuse the PSU is probably the one thing I wouldn't do - particularly if you are moving to a newer architecture. While a HD is usually the first thing to go, PSUs are usually next in line unless you always keep your system attached to a UPS - and not just a battery backup and surge protector but one where the system is always running off the internal circuit. Otherwise the PSU is absorbing every over and underrun.

I'd say it somewhat comes down to WHY you're thinking of getting the new system. If you're itching to do a build as a bit of recreation in it's own right, then now is as good a time as any. However it sounds like you are getting decent performance with your current system, and so could hold on for a bit. In which case I would consider both price, and the amount of time you have on hand. With an infant at home, you might find that it's easier to get a couple of uninterrupted hours in a few months than it is now.

Just some thoughts for you to consider :) 
April 28, 2012 4:32:40 PM

I, for one, would definitely wait for Haswell. Not to buy one mind you, but for the price drop that will inevitably come to the Sandy's. They have proven time and again to be the premier CPU's on the market today and while they'll probably lose that title to Haswell they'll be no less valuable. If the 2500k is worth $225.00 (ca) today how much more would it be worth at $175.00? If you can struggle through a bit more you'll have the added benefit of being able to buy the GTX680 (the best GPU out there) because by then it should be readily available. :) 
!