~CCleaner... Is it worthy???

Status
Not open for further replies.

FnIrish

Feb 10, 2011
I have some questions about the program CCleaner:

1: Does CCleaner actually work?
2: When CCleaner shows that it finds Registry Errors, are they actually Errors?
3: What Exactly does CCleaner actually fix?
4: Is CCleaner worth using as a Diagnostic Tool on Customer's Computers?
5: If CCleaner is not recommended, then what would you use in place of?

I would really appreciate feedback on all of these questions. I really just want a Diagnostic Tool that will check for all types of Errors and have the capability to repair and/or delete leftover, unused program files, folders and such without corrupting any important/used OS Files for ALL versions of Windows and/or Mac.

If you have an other program that you recommend I am up for suggestions.

Thank you.

Solution
CCleaner isn't a miracle cure. It's simply a nice tool for tidying up a system. I use it commercially in my IT department at work, on every single PC I touch, and I use it on every single PC that comes my way privately. It's never caused a single problem, not once. I use it to clean all the application options, and I use it to clean the registry. I don't even backup the registry anymore, because I'm that confident in it. Not only does it clean up the fragmented, unneeded, and unwanted crap on a system, but wiping the free space can improve performance (though the process takes time). I've even had CCleaner resolve some run time errors.

As an uninstaller, it's not the best. I prefer Revo Uninstaller, though CCleaner does the...

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
CCleaner just get's rid of your temp files and cleans it out a bit.... like washing your hands... registry wise... I don't use it, trust or think about using anything.... Every Cert I have done has recommended not to use them... they usually create more errors than they fix... So don't use the registry side of CCleaner IMO. I got a Super clocked rig and Im fussy most of the time on what goes onto it/ comes of it data/application wise... and I don't think I would benifit from CCleaner that much at all...

dleavitt

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
1). I guess so. It finds and deletes stuff, which is what it is supposed to do.
2). Don't really know
3). Cleans up temp files and all the junk that accumulates in the background when you use a computer.
4). I use it personally, but I'm probably not as demanding on myself as customers would be. :D The truth is that it really doesn't do much (not necessarily a bad thing), but for cleanup it does well.
5). Another program I've used is EasyCleaner. Not as fast (maybe more thorough, but not sure), not as pretty interface wise, but has some cool features like a chart that breaks out disk usage.

I've used CCleaner without any problems, but only on my personal computers. Even the registry cleaner has caused no problems. Then again, I don't know if it has done any good either.

skaz

Distinguished
Yes its worthy. I use it to clean up all my junk files and I also use the registery cleaner. When you choose to use it CCleaner will prompt you if you would like to make a back up of the registery first. It helps get rid of all those unused registery entries that might be left over from software.

Zero_

Distinguished
I use it, on my PC and on those that I fix. Mainly as a way of cleaning up hard drive space caught up in various temps and occasionally, for a registry cleanup. Haven't run into any problems so far, and it works wonders on older PC's (P4's etc).

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
The only way anyone can tell if it does what it says it does is if you clone two Hdd's and run a CC on one... then run a benchmark...

And then load the OS again (don't run a CCleaner) and run another benchmark

> Same Rig
> Same Spec's

And at the end of that I would tell you that it wouldn't increase the performance of a PC by much at all. If anything 1-1.5% at the absolute max. Go ask a local Microsoft Certified Tech at a computer store.. they will say the same.

Not to mention it works differently with every OS/Hardware and user's application..

Read more here;
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?56837-official-CCleaner-thread

Dogsnake

Distinguished
PC World Mag. recently tested a variety of cleaner type utilities on a variety of computer types (lappys, gamers, jack of all trades) and they found that there was no benifit to them it terms of system speed up (http://www.pcworld.com/article/195859/are_registry_cleaners_worth_it.html). CC is a convenient way to clear cached data from browsers, temp files and similar items. No one should use a reg. cleaner unless they are knowledgeable and review each trace being flagged.

amdiesen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
1: Does CCleaner actually work?
2: When CCleaner shows that it finds Registry Errors, are they actually Errors?
*cleaner, not error "fixer"
3: What Exactly does CCleaner actually fix?
*nothing
4: Is CCleaner worth using as a Diagnostic Tool on Customer's Computers?
*if diagnosis is needed then this is not your solution. if diagnosis is not needed and this is a customer's computer you only risk breaking it.
5: If CCleaner is not recommended, then what would you use in place of?
*a clean OS install will improve boot time.

CCleaner is fantastic as a general tool, but manage your expectations.
1- cleans misc unwanted files from your computer including hotfix uninstallers. A good analogy would be that it sweeps the floor, does not mop it.

2- cleans the registry of entries that are no longer used such as "unused file extensions". Same sweeps instead of mops.

3- offers a method of wiping unused space on any attached hdd, maintaining the OS and working data. From 1 - 35 overwrites, this locks the car door but does not protect you from someone willing to break the window.

4- offers an on/off toggle for start-up programs; although autoruns is better.

5- has a better program uninstaller than windows itself!

FnIrish

Feb 10, 2011
I am really just trying to see if there is an actual Decrappifier/Registry Cleaner that is up to par with how I myself do the service of decrappifying a customer's computer without the Tedious Manual Registry Cleaning.

They are pretty much all the same.

They don't fix registry, they just remove broken keys.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I use the registry cleaner option on CCleaner however I always take the tick off the unused extensions option.

I've never had any issues and it has actually solved a few issues for me as well. Mainly when an application has added a right click option for explorer which has been left over during the installation.

The file cleaner is good and the un-installation tab/section saves a lot of time especially on windows XP or older.

Its best to run the file cleaner before running any AV or ad/mal/spyware scans as it will reduce the scan time massively.

A not so publicized thing about CCleaner is the portable build (link to download page) which can be ran off a flash drive or from a network location.

CCleaner is probably the best utility for cleaning all those temp files off your PC. You can easily recover a few GB using it.

Its registry cleaner is simple, and doesn't do as good a job as some of the other options out there. But I've yet to run into a single problem using it either.

CCleaner is a must install for all PC's, in my mind.

thatguychuck

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
I use it to tidy up, both file and registry wise. Even without proven performance gains, I think most enthusiasts are OCD enough to run it pretty regular.

It's even more helpful with non enthusiasts, everyday users that don't really know all the ins and outs of their PC or it's software. I recently ran through a laptop for a friend of mine that has basically been on "default" mode since they bought it. CCleaner reported it had accumulated over 5 gigs of temporary, removable files and well over 1000 removable registry entries.

OK, but are u sure that CC is the culprit here?

And it could be excluded from the cleaning.

I've never heard of anyone complaining about CCleaner. In 99% its user fault if something like this happened.

Anyway the system restore could help here, wouldn't?

Or repair or re-install of the app itself should do it, if sys restore would fail.

I hope u agree that the user is in fault here : )

Like any tool, it depends on whether it's used appropriately. For removing temp files and other jink I use Steven Gould's Cleanup which is much more limited in its scope and I'm not afraid of users breaking their systems with it.

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?Itemid=69&id=15&option=com_content&task=view

As for Ccleaner, I use it to "clean up" after program uninstalls. For example, if I just uninstalled a nVidia GFX card, I might want to clean out the registry of all things nVidia before installing the new card.

I would not use it to find errors and "select all" to remove them as there's bound to be an entry or two that actually belongs. Again, used to find and remove specific registry entries, it's great tool, but using anything to blanket remove all things it "thinks" are unnecessary is playing w/ fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.