Help With processors

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
Hi I'm thinking of buying a pc Link http://www.misco.co.uk/product/196030/Greenline-Dell-T5400-2-x-Xeon-E5440-160GB-4GB-RAM-DVD-Rom-Windows-7-Pro-Refurb-Workstation-PC

And it says it has 2 x Xeon E5440, Does this mean it has 1.6+1.6GHz
And double the specs of a single E5440?

Thanks (First ever TH Post)

It has Dual Xeon E5440s. Meaning that there are 2 physical CPUs inside that computer. Each CPU also has 4 cores each. So a total of 8 physical cores spread across 2 physical CPUs.

That computer isn't quiet, just so you know ahead of the time before buying. It also uses FBDIMM DDR2's, not regular DDR2's, so if you want to upgrade the RAM, it will cost you an arm and a leg. The FBDIMMs are also slower than regular DDR2 (due to buffering and the chipset limitations), so that computer is not actually very fast, even by standards in its day (Intel 45nm Wolfdales+DDR3 configurations).

G

Hmm.. I'm in a budget of £300, to play cod mw3 for maybe an hour a day, so not too hard core, on medium setting, this looked to be the best specs for a cheap price, do you know of any sites or models worth looking at?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
Hmm.. I'm in a budget of £300, to play cod mw3 for maybe an hour a day, so not too hard core, on medium setting, this looked to be the best specs for a cheap price, do you know of any sites or models worth looking at?

Well if you are looking to game... First I'd look locally if you have some community sites to see if anyone is selling a used computer for that price. Secondly, that workstation doesn't have a good video card (which can be very costly) for playing games. If you are on a tight budget, you should allocate a greater proportion of money on the GPU if you plan to game.

That machine, even if you purchased it, would require a GPU upgrade to play newer games like the one you mentioned. The Quadro 4600 is old, and probably slow in games.