Sign in with
Your question

Need help determining weekest points in custom build...

Last response: in Systems
April 28, 2012 7:34:18 PM

Hi everyone,

I have $1200 in my personal discretionary fund that I'm thinking of putting towards my PC. I'm noticing a bit of lag in my system, especially when playing games in NVIDIA Surround. I don't necessariliy want to sink the entire 1200 into my PC, but I would if it means a lag free gaming experience.

I think my current specs are pretty good, but I'm a bit of an amateur, and I have no ideo where the weak points are.

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
Power Supply: Corsair TX850M Modular Power Supply
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.07ghz
Hard Drives: 300 GB Intel Solid State Drive (OS & Games)
2 TB Seagate Baracuta (Data)
500 GB Western Digital Hard Disk Drive (Work)
Optical Drive: LG BH12 Super Multi Blue 12x Blue-Ray Drive
Graphics Cards: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 570
Monitors: 3x LG Flatron W2442PA (24" X 3)
Keyboard: Razer Arctosa
Mouse: Razer Naga
Memory: 6 GB Kingston

I would appreciate any suggestsions, thanks!
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2012 8:36:30 PM

I would say its the graphics card. They probably don't have enough vRAM. They're are going to be some versions of the GTX 680 with 4gb of memory. Get one of those.

Have you tried overclocking your CPU? If not, you could try that. It's pretty easy and will greatly improve your performance. Just get a new cooler (like the cooler master Hyper 212+)

Also, get some more RAM while your at it. Get a 12GB (4GBx3) memory set. This is preferable to getting three more 2gb DIMMs because there is more overclocking potential if you don't populate all the DIMM slots.
April 28, 2012 8:46:56 PM

chronicide said:
Hi everyone,

I have $1200 in my personal discretionary fund that I'm thinking of putting towards my PC. I'm noticing a bit of lag in my system, especially when playing games in NVIDIA Surround. I don't necessariliy want to sink the entire 1200 into my PC, but I would if it means a lag free gaming experience.

I think my current specs are pretty good, but I'm a bit of an amateur, and I have no ideo where the weak points are.

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
Power Supply: Corsair TX850M Modular Power Supply
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.07ghz
Hard Drives: 300 GB Intel Solid State Drive (OS & Games)
2 TB Seagate Baracuta (Data)
500 GB Western Digital Hard Disk Drive (Work)
Optical Drive: LG BH12 Super Multi Blue 12x Blue-Ray Drive
Graphics Cards: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 570
Monitors: 3x LG Flatron W2442PA (24" X 3)
Keyboard: Razer Arctosa
Mouse: Razer Naga
Memory: 6 GB Kingston

I would appreciate any suggestsions, thanks!

Hi,

Your system seems like a very decent gaming system personally I don't see a need for you to upgrade anytime soon. As for the lag in the games is it something you have noticed recently in games that used to run smoothly or just new games running slightly slow? Nvidia surround is pretty taxing on any system and two 570s in SLI are very potent. You can try dialing back the settings in certain games to achieve more playable framerates.

On the other hand if you really must play the latest games in Nvidia surround on ultra/max you can invest in a pair of 7970s which go for around $500 and possibly a new cpu such as a 3750k, this would mean you would have to buy a new motherboard though. If you don't really fancy buying a new CPU and motherboard you can alway try to overclock your current i7 950 which would mean you should invest in a new cooler (Are you using the stock one?).

Sorry about the wall of text. Hope this makes sense and helps :) 
!