6870 vs 6850 for a460 CM psu!!

hello Guys!!!
i asked this question before,,,,,i have been told here that's gonna work
but lots of other people told me it's NOT gonna work!!!

i just built a new pc!!
CPU:AMD FX6100 (BULLDOZER)
RAM:G.SKILL RIPJAWS 8GB(2X4GB 1600)
MOBO:GIGABYTE 880(VERY BASIC MOBO
HDD:500 OLD WD + 320 OLD WD(i have no idea about the RPM)

but i have made a BIG Mistake!!!
i bought cooler master elite 311plus with a 460 standard PSU,,,i thought it's enough for this graphic card!!!
BUT,,,,,i found out that it's 70% efficient only,,,,so i dunno if it's gonna work or not!!!
i will not over clock anything,,,,,i will even get the sapphire stock version!!!
so i wanted to know if this 460W STANDARD PSU will be enought for the sapphire 6870 or even if there's another version that uses less power i could get it!!!
or should i just go for the 6850!!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

p.s: i live in Egypt so it's kinda different in prices (usually more expensive!!!)
4 answers Last reply
More about 6870 6850 a460
  1. what is the amperage on the 12v rail?
  2. what do you mean??
  3. The Cooler Master Elite Power 400W and Elite Power 460W are exactly the same power supply with a different label (and price tag).

It is simply unbelievable that Cooler Master rips people off in this manner.

Even though the label on the Elite Power 460W shows two +12V rails it really has only a single rail rated at 27 Amps.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 25 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

The Cooler Master Elite Power 460W (None PFC: RS-460-PSAR-J3 / Passive PFC: RS-460-PSAP-J3), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 27 Amps and with its one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is only sufficient to power a system with a single Radeon HD 6850.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Western Digital Graphics