Will DFI sell AMD processors?

Will DFI make AM2 more attractive to you?

• Yes, it will allow higher clock speeds, and easier overclocking

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • NO, core 2 duo is king

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • No, i don''t overclock and will by AMD for budget

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I thought this was kinda odd when i read this on a few forums, and it seems to be a theme.

People who claim to be hard core overclockers are waiting for the new DFI AM2 board with 590 chipset. They talk about how they were thinking about getting core 2 duo, but now that this board is coming out they will probably switch to AMD. Now i can't understand this reasoning unless they are considering something i'll get to in a minute.

I consider AMD, even though i like them, as budget at the moment. They can only compete at the low-mid range, and mid range is a trade off between overclockers and non. So for these "extreme" overclcokers it seem contradictory to by a budget chip and not overclock much more than has already been done. Especially when people with x6800's are getting like 4.5ghz and stuff. The highest i've seen an FX-62 get is about 3.1ghz and i don't think this board will change that. Now i do understand that this board makes overclocking easier, but again results and intel ...

The ONLY reason i can think of is that they are considering down the road with K8L and such, and that this board will help then but none of them mentioned that.

My point is that this seems to be a big selling point for AM2 for people i assumed would have bought intel no questions asked. I'm asking for some sort of reason :wink:

PS. Please don't flame me about the title, it seems fair to me.

kmjohnso

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I've got it. They are just looking for a challenge and overclocking a C2D is too easy. A new board will not make the chip overclock more if its not FSB limited and the old board has reasonable options. Or maybe they're just on a super budget and cant afford a a C2D.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I donno, i really don't.

Like people call me an AMD fanboy and i guess i am to an certain point but i don't understand how a new board would change someone's mind about a cpu 8O , unless it had to do with other componets aswell that would only work on that board.

I really want to just buy an AM2 board now, the asus m2n32 sli and get it but i'm getting a 1900xt and having the possibilty to get crossfire would be nice, but there arn't any quality boards out there so i'll stick with that.

DFI re-invented itself a few years ago from your average run of the mill mobo maker to one of the most respected or the most respected manufacturer of enthusiast level Athlon 64 motherboards. I too once considered getting one of their mobos last year when I was contemplating my A64 X2 build.

But then I discovered DFI mobos had issues with Seasonic S12 PSUs. After that I heard and read a lot about Conroe, and now I have a complete Conroe rig sitting at home. Unfortunately I don't have the time to fire it up and install Windows XP.

Anywaste, getting back on topic. I believe the enthusiasts are just hyping themselves up because DFI mobos are known to be stellar performers and the nVidia 590 chipset only add fuel to the fire. All-In-All, I think they are setting themselves up for a huge disappointment because their expectations will exceed what DFI and nVidia can deliver.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
I've bought 2 DFI boards in my like. A P2XBL (i440BX) and a DFI Lanparty UT NF4-SLI DR.

DFI definatly revamped itself as a company. They make the best AMD boards... but they still lag Asus in the Intel department. I wouldn't hold off for anything having to do with AM2. If someone wants to buy K8L then wait off on a purchase until K8L and AM3 arrive then purchase. AM2 is a waste of time and money (unless you're on a SUPER tight budget and absolutely need to buy now).

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you're in the market for a new PC today. Core 2 Duo is the answer. There are absolutely no reasons to go AM2 (other then those mentioned already above) and DFI making an AM2 board based on the NF590 doesn't change that.

Well that's my 2 cents.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I donno, i really don't.

Like people call me an AMD fanboy and i guess i am to an certain point but i don't understand how a new board would change someone's mind about a cpu 8O , unless it had to do with other componets aswell that would only work on that board.

I really want to just buy an AM2 board now, the asus m2n32 sli and get it but i'm getting a 1900xt and having the possibilty to get crossfire would be nice, but there arn't any quality boards out there so i'll stick with that.
Just look at the difference a BIOS update can make on the ASUS P5B Deluxe. :wink:

7x allowed a further increase to a FSB speed of 494, which is where the 6700/P5B maxed out. Even at a 6X multiplier 494 seems the limit of the FSB with this CPU and board. Comparing this to our highest FSB overclock of 362 with this board in the Conroe Buying Guide we would conclude that ASUS has significantly improved the overclocking of the P5B. The ability to choose and hold lower multipliers allowed the bus speed to increase from 360 to 494.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2822&p=2

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I thought this was kinda odd when i read this on a few forums, and it seems to be a theme.

People who claim to be hard core overclockers are waiting for the new DFI AM2 board with 590 chipset. They talk about how they were thinking about getting core 2 duo, but now that this board is coming out they will probably switch to AMD. Now i can't understand this reasoning unless they are considering something i'll get to in a minute.

I consider AMD, even though i like them, as budget at the moment. They can only compete at the low-mid range, and mid range is a trade off between overclockers and non. So for these "extreme" overclcokers it seem contradictory to by a budget chip and not overclock much more than has already been done. Especially when people with x6800's are getting like 4.5ghz and stuff. The highest i've seen an FX-62 get is about 3.1ghz and i don't think this board will change that. Now i do understand that this board makes overclocking easier, but again results and intel ...

The ONLY reason i can think of is that they are considering down the road with K8L and such, and that this board will help then but none of them mentioned that.

My point is that this seems to be a big selling point for AM2 for people i assumed would have bought intel no questions asked. I'm asking for some sort of reason :wink:

That is definitely possible. DFI became synonymous with enthusiast. They have the best OC boards of all manufs even Abit. Plus, with nForce 590 you can get a factory OC on the PCIe, RAM and HT.

Corsair has DDR2 that runs easily at 1200MHz and have recently released RAM @ 1120MHz stock @ CAS4.

Everyone know sthat AM2 is more sensitive and responds better to the higher clocks and lower latency. Core 2 seems to have a finite limit on increases with faster RAM.

I would say that people would love to go K8L, but unfortunately for them K8L will NOT BE ON THE DESKTP EXCEPT IN FX class. People will though be able to go with the BullDozer desktop model swhich should debut around the same time as K8L.

I'm surprised they haven't talked about tape out for it since its a dual cor K8L.

Anyway, I don't find it surprising that people are staying with or moving to AMD. They have been the enthusiasts choic for the last 2-3 years. DFI didn't exist before FX55, I believe. They came out of nowhere with t he best OC board and anybody who considered themselves a tweaker went out and bought them.

They even outdid their nVidia board with their CrossFire board ( in terms of max bus speed and max clock).

AMD is still the choice until more mobos are available for Core 2. There is only ONE SLIx16 board on Newegg and it is well above $200. The average Core 2 board has only one PCI x16 and many don't support higher than DDR2 667.

That will not attract enthusisats. They don't even have support for the SLI RAM so AMD will continue to gain enthusiast share.
And I also saw an HP X2 4200+ 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD, 5in1, DVDLightscribe, etc for

$599

Now we all know that AMD rules below E6400 and that you can get a greater increase from AM2 OC, though the same OC may keep the Core 2 ahead.

kmjohnso

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Here's AnandTech running all overthemselves again. They didn't do the test right at all and mis quoted themselves (372 reported):

The overclocking capabilities we have measured thus far are with our standard E6700 CPU at a 10X multiplier. While this will not show the true FSB potential of the board, it does show a board's capability with the second highest performing Core 2 Duo and what can be expected with the fixed multiplier CPUs on average.

There max FSB in the new article was realized with a 6300 at stock multiplier.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Eh....DFI also makes MB's for Intel CPU's also.
They have a very nice one for Intel Duo.

In the past 10 years I have used mostly Asus but they always die on me under heavy use (caps fail).

After going over to DFI I will never go back to Asus.

When I would RMA to Asus I had to wait 10 working days (even though the address was here in California). A few weeks ago I "thought" that I had a problem with a DFI 8 chnl sound module (I didn't) so I called them on the phone,gave them my ser. # and they PUT A NEW UNIT on the FedEx that same day...I got it the next day,and I did not even have to send the old unit in!

For those who did not know DFI's "onboard sound" is a stand alone unit which frees both the MB and the sound unit from interacting against one another.

exarrkun

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
actually, DFI is making a board with the 590 chipset
it is surposed to come out somewhere in october...
this is the reason why i haven't got a conroe rig myself. yet. :wink:

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

That is definitely possible. DFI became synonymous with enthusiast. They have the best OC boards of all manufs even Abit. Plus, with nForce 590 you can get a factory OC on the PCIe, RAM and HT.

Corsair has DDR2 that runs easily at 1200MHz and have recently released RAM @ 1120MHz stock @ CAS4.

Everyone know sthat AM2 is more sensitive and responds better to the higher clocks and lower latency. Core 2 seems to have a finite limit on increases with faster RAM.

I would say that people would love to go K8L, but unfortunately for them K8L will NOT BE ON THE DESKTP EXCEPT IN FX class. People will though be able to go with the BullDozer desktop model swhich should debut around the same time as K8L.

I'm surprised they haven't talked about tape out for it since its a dual cor K8L.

Anyway, I don't find it surprising that people are staying with or moving to AMD. They have been the enthusiasts choic for the last 2-3 years. DFI didn't exist before FX55, I believe. They came out of nowhere with t he best OC board and anybody who considered themselves a tweaker went out and bought them.

They even outdid their nVidia board with their CrossFire board ( in terms of max bus speed and max clock).

AMD is still the choice until more mobos are available for Core 2. There is only ONE SLIx16 board on Newegg and it is well above $200. The average Core 2 board has only one PCI x16 and many don't support higher than DDR2 667.

That will not attract enthusisats. They don't even have support for the SLI RAM so AMD will continue to gain enthusiast share.

$599

Now we all know that AMD rules below E6400 and that you can get a greater increase from AM2 OC, though the same OC may keep the Core 2 ahead.

Woah!! After going through that post my boots are soo full of bull sh!t I'm having a hard time cleaning it off. It's like watching the O'Reilly factor during the Malmedy Massacre fiasco.

Good thing is I will set it all straight, bad thing is I have to go home.. works over. But as soon as I get home I'll set this all straight... :p

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

$599

Woah!! After going through that post my boots are soo full of bull sh!t I'm having a hard time cleaning it off. It's like watching the O'Reilly factor during the Malmedy Massacre fiasco.

Good thing is I will set it all straight, bad thing is I have to go home.. works over. But as soon as I get home I'll set this all straight... :p

Well you ought to recognize BS. But all of that is true. if you doubt, link. You know you're just jealous cause you're a little cog in a little wheel.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

$599

Well you ought to recognize BS. But all of that is true. if you doubt, link. You know you're just jealous cause you're a little cog in a little wheel.

A Cog in a wheel eh? And yes I do recognize BS.. as it's all I see you post..:p

Lol

According to local PC stores PC Cyber and ShopRBC enthusiasts are NOT staying with AMD. The only people staying with AMD are fanboys (much like some fanboys of Intel stayed with the Pentium D *vomits*). So the term "people" should be changed to "fanboys".

Another piece of mis-information. The only boards that only support up to DDR2-667 are budget boards. They're not what tweakers and Enthusiasts use...lol. You go on to praise DFI on the AMD side (high end boards) but then claim that the majority of Intel boards do not support basic features (and you look to the budget boards as proof). Me thinks you're selectively choosing here. It's pretty obvious.

SLI Ram is nothing more then a marketing name for quicker memory access among other things. All nVIDIA nForce 5 series (570/590) can technically support it. It's up to the board maker to implement it. As there is NO REAL DEMAND for it.. it's barely implemented. It's actually quite useless.

And how exactly does AMD rule the Core 2 Duo E6300? What AMD CPU in the Core 2 Duo E6300's price range matches it's performance, overclocking ability, power consumption and all around feature set? Common let's hear it..:p (E6300 performs about on par with an AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+).

Now as far as your claim that Intel Core 2 Duo doesn't scale well with RAM speeds.. it depends. You see it's not that AMD's K8 AM2 scales well.. it's that it has a POOR DDR-II Memory controller implementation. It needs PC2 6400 just to keep up with a socket 939 PC 3200 system. Therefore the more bandwidth you give it the closer it comes to being able to reach it's potential.

Core 2 Duo can also scale well given it's provided with a wider FSB. Intel's next 1333MHz FSB should rectify this. Again.. careful how you word things.

MatTheMurdera

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006

$599

Now we all know that AMD rules below E6400 and that you can get a greater increase from AM2 OC, though the same OC may keep the Core 2 ahead. Baron... please, stop now. I used to think that people were over reacting to your posts, but man, your reallllllllllllllly streaching facts.
C2D scales worse than AMD in RAM speed yes, but it doesnt matter if its still signifigantly better than AMD. AMD may have been the enthusiast's choice, but those times are pasted man, C2D is just simply much better, and after all isnt that what enthusists want? You are saying the average C2D Mobo doesnt have more than 1 PCI epress slot, well guess what, SLI isnt average! We are talking enthusists, that means enthusist Mobos, not average ones! Average Mobo doesnt support DDR2 667? If the average enthusist has 200+ bucks to spend on RAM they wouldnt be buying a Cheap mobo!

"And I also saw an HP X2 4200+ 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD, 5in1, DVDLightscribe, etc for
$599"

What does that have to do with anything?

"Now we all know that AMD rules below E6400 and that you can get a greater increase from AM2 OC, though the same OC may keep the Core 2 ahead."

We? Ive seen the Price/Perf chart, and it doesnt agree. Only $300+ AMD procs match the E6300. As for AMD having better performance per clock in OCing, why then does an E6400 clocked at 2.13 beat a 4800+ at 2.4?

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Actually, the invariant impact on performance with respect to ram is a strength and not a weakness --- you don't need high flying suped up uber RAM with tight timings that costs and ARM and a leg to realize great performance.

The good news is that the high end of RAM is expected to increase in performance and what is currently top dog will no doubt drop in price.

MatTheMurdera

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Your right my mistake, but why havnt they put the E6300 on yet? You would think that would be one of the most important processors considering the size of the low end market.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
The highest i've seen an FX-62 get is about 3.1ghz and i don't think this board will change that.

The OCing record for an FX62 is 3.6GHz by OPPAINTER.

WOW, i am impressed and surprised since i thought the speed was limited by gate response or something and not heat. I wonder how they got it so high. 8O

I have a complete Conroe rig sitting at home. Unfortunately I don't have the time to fire it up and install Windows XP.

If you've got time to read and post to Tom's, you've got time to set up your new rig...

Actually, I was downloading some work files I sent to my personal account from the office so that I would finish up some analyses at home. During the downloading time, I decided to quickly jump to THG for a quick read or two.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I have a complete Conroe rig sitting at home. Unfortunately I don't have the time to fire it up and install Windows XP.

If you've got time to read and post to Tom's, you've got time to set up your new rig...

Actually, I was downloading some work files I sent to my personal account from the office so that I would finish up some analyses at home. During the downloading time, I decided to quickly jump to THG for a quick read or two.

Standard work-avoidance excuse. I've used similar approaches a hundered times myself, so in other words, that don't work. Do the work at work, then you have time to build your rig at home.

No excuses, this is SERIOUS BIDNESS! Talk to me!

Standard work-avoidance excuse. I've used similar approaches a hundered times myself, so in other words, that don't work. Do the work at work, then you have time to build your rig at home.

No excuses, this is SERIOUS BIDNESS! Talk to me!

No, not really. I actually took the day off to finish up my build and do other things. But work is work and the SVP I report to needed the analysis ASAP because of a meeting that was move up two days ahead of the original schedule at the last moment.

The good news is my PC is up and running now, and because I did work from home for a few hours, it didn't count as a vacation day.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
No, not really. I actually took the day off to finish up my build and do other things. But work is work and the SVP I report to needed the analysis ASAP because of a meeting that was move up two days ahead of the original schedule at the last moment.

Insufficient bandwidth in your pre-fetcher.

The good news is my PC is up and running now,

That's cool. What's the rig spec?

The good news is my PC is up and running now,

That's cool. What's the rig spec?

Core 2 Duo E6600
MSI 975X Platinum
Radeon X1900XT
2GB of Corsair XMS DDR2 667 (4-4-4-12)
Cooler Master Centurion 532 Case
Seasonic S12 500 PSU
Scythe Ninja HSF
Soundblaster Audigy 2 (from my old PC)
NEC 3550A (From my old PC)
3 160GB IDE Hard Drives (from old PC)
2 Yate Loon 120mm Fans

It's up and running, but not optimized or overclocked yet.

I wanted a 975X chipset 'cause I didn't want to replace my three IDE hard drives yet. Not going for ultra high overclocking, therefore DDR2 667 RAM should be more than enough.

My good 'ol Athlon XP-M 2600+ with a Radeon 9800Pro will be given to my cousin.