Sign in with
Your question

SCSI troubleshooter needed

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
May 19, 2001 5:40:52 AM

Sorry for the long post, but I am in need of some serious, expert SCSI troubleshooting help! I have an AMD K6-II 450Mhz, Win98SE, 384MB RAM, EIDE 10GB HDD, EIDE CD-ROM, and EIDE CD-RW. I recently upgraded for digital imaging purposes adding a Polaroid SprintScan 4000 and Epson 1270 printer. The SS4000 comes with an AdvanSys ABP3922 SCSI card. After completing the installation, my system locks-up randomly but persistently. Sometimes within a few minutes, othertimes after several hours. When using Photoshop 5.5 and Silverfast Ai5 Scanner Driver the system will USUALLY work for a few hours, but SOMETIMES locks-up within a few minutes. I have found that using the internet causes the system to persistently lock up very quickly (sometimes during login, othertimes after a few minutes of surfing).

If you are interested in lending a much need helping hand, please email offline at macphoto@netzero.net. I have tried a whole array of things with no success. I have also tried the manufacturer's tech support. Polaroid even purchased a system like mine to perform tests. Their initial tests resulted in a working system. I should be so lucky. Thanks.
May 21, 2001 2:51:39 AM

I'm no SCSI expert, so the only suggestion I have is to check your drivers.

=T
Good luck
May 22, 2001 4:02:47 AM

It could be an IRQ sharing problem, especialy if your modem and SCSI card are on the same IRQ.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine
Related resources
Anonymous
May 22, 2001 5:16:43 AM

Thanks Kwonger and Crashman, I have looked at all the drivers I can think of. The motherboard, modem, scanner, and video card. All appear to be correct and current. I even looked into the motherboard's and SCSI card's bios and both are current. I verified all the devices on the PCI bus have unique IRQ's, no sharing. The three devices on the PCI bus are the SCSI, a generic lucent 56K modem and generic sound card. What are the possibilities of plain old incompatability? Does this happen anymore? Should I replace the SCSI card, the modem, or even the motherboard and processor? What about the video card? I read on MicroSuck's website that with AMD systems and Win2K the AGP video card can go belly up. I verified the AGP driver and updated even though I'm running WIN98SE. Any more thoughts anyone? Thanks for all your assistance.
May 26, 2001 11:25:43 AM

I had an advansys scsi card in my system when my adaptec card died on my, the system at the time was a k6-3 450 on a gigabyte 5ax board. I'd get exactly the same problem as you. I now have a did=fferent setup, still with the same card and works fine, my suggestion is to get another card (I wont buy an advansys (actaully advansys is iwill) again- I keep meaning to replace it). I had trouble with the card right from the start, the drivers came on cd- GOOD IDEA especially since both my cd drives are scsi!!, couldnt boot from it, it was just cheap crap. then again, it didnt cost much, like most things in life- you get what you pay for.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
!