Start Button

November 26, 2004 9:03:04 PM

I want a desktop that is only for children's homework with no access to other
programs and no access to the internet/music. I need to either lockout the
Start Button or learn how to customize what programs are on the All Programs
list in the Start Button. Thanks.

More about : start button

Anonymous
November 27, 2004 4:27:21 PM

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:03:04 -0800, Michael Stephensen <Michael
Stephensen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I want a desktop that is only for children's homework with no access to other
>programs and no access to the internet/music. I need to either lockout the
>Start Button or learn how to customize what programs are on the All Programs
>list in the Start Button. Thanks.

Set up separate user account for kids

Password protect your own

Transfer shortcuts that you do not want them to access from:-

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu

to:-

C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Start Menu

Leave in the "All Users" start menu only those you are happy for the
kids to use.

--
The Aussie Bomber
Carn The Dons!!

HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];279783

"Michael Stephensen" <Michael Stephensen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want a desktop that is only for children's homework with no access to other
> programs and no access to the internet/music. I need to either lockout the
> Start Button or learn how to customize what programs are on the All Programs
> list in the Start Button. Thanks.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 9:07:32 PM

If XP Pro...

You can use the Group Policy editor (Gpedit.msc) under the following
location to configure Start menu features:
User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer

The registry entries are DWORD values. A value of 1 is enabled, and a value
of 0 is disabled.

Policy: Disable Logoff on the Start Menu
users from adding the Logoff button to the Start menu.
Registry Value: "StartMenuLogoff"

Policy: Disable and remove the Turn Off Computer button
prevents shutting down Windows using the standard shutdown user interface.
Registry Value: "NoClose"

The registry values can be used in Home or Pro.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:AD99604E-A834-4AA3-8050-86310E0C87FB@microsoft.com,