Sign in with
Your question

Unusual Problem Please READ!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 11, 2012 6:30:39 PM

Basically my issue is that when I have my heatsink (Arctic Freezer 13) installed, the computer will run fine, when placed on its side horizontally, and will perform what at what I would expect it to, I'm comparing this when i'm playing COD4 and expect 250fps constant, however when I stand my computer up vertically, the FPS drops to around 70-80fps and is stuttering up and down, the CPU cooler is fully screwed on, and i've tried at least 50 times with it screwed on different tightness. When i replace the CPU cooler with the stock AMD cooler supplied with my processor it runs perfectly fine when the PC is vertical, however it sounds like a jet engine is taking off in my room when under load and is entirely unbearable.

Here is the rest of my rig : (I'm assuming this is a CPU issue, but maybe i'm mistaken? I've never encountered or heard of an issue similar to this, so if anyone can offer some assistance I'd greatly appreciate it).

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4 GHz
8GB Corsair Vengeance SDRAM DDR3 CL9
500GB Hitachi Deskstar
Asus HD6850 1GB Black Edition
Iiyama ProLite E2200WS 22in
MS Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO Motherboard
NZXT Source 210 Elite

More about : unusual problem read

a c 84 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 6:43:38 PM

did you replace the cooling paste with new one when you put the freezer on or the amd cooler back
August 11, 2012 6:46:26 PM

No I haven't changed any of the thermal paste, do you think that could be the problem, it does seem a little dry, could that be what's causing it?
Related resources
August 11, 2012 6:56:05 PM

I'm out of thermal paste at the moment, i'll have to pop into town tomorrow and pick some up.
a c 84 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 7:06:39 PM

when you replace a cooler it is always better to put new thermal paste but clean the old one first,get a good quality one like the mx4 or similar
August 11, 2012 7:49:59 PM

scout_03 said:
when you replace a cooler it is always better to put new thermal paste but clean the old one first,get a good quality one like the mx4 or similar

So the thermal paste could actually be causing the performance to reduce drastically? In terms of heating its not getting hot, the CPU is rarely going over 45 degrees under load while gaming.
a c 337 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 7:55:47 PM

Since changing orientation makes a difference, and since the stock cooler doesn't have this issue... I can only assume it is a problem with the Arctic Freezer. If could be that the fan motor looses its magnetic center when vertical, but regains it when horz. Hence the noise, too. If the fan speed changes when the noise occurs, it is a good chance the speed/cooling is affected. This would indicate a bad bearing.
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2012 8:30:00 PM

it spins up because it needs to. AMD cool and quiet is turned on in the BIOS. The processor gets hot the fan spins more. Stop using your computer until you can put new thermal paste on.( of course you know to remove old first... ????
!