Wireless Bridge

Hoopster

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

Hello,

I was looking at the Linksys or the Microsoft MN-740.

On ebay it looks like they are going for about $50.00 or so for the
microsoft model, and a little higher for the linksys.

Has anyone seen any deals on the store for these?

Can anyone recommend one over the other?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hoopster -

"Hoopster" wrote in message
> Hello,
> I was looking at the Linksys or the Microsoft MN-740.
> On ebay it looks like they are going for about $50.00 or so for the
> microsoft model, and a little higher for the linksys.
> Has anyone seen any deals on the store for these?
> Can anyone recommend one over the other?
> Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

I'm not familiar with either of the two products you mentioned above, but if
you are just looking to save a few bucks then I can recommend the following
wireless-ethernet bridge: DLink DWL-810+

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=21

Google and shop around and they often come up ~$30.00. I found good deals
on them in the past so now have four of them. Works just fine with XBox,
PS2, Dreamcast (with BBA adapter), and also has been wonderful to allow
friends to easily connect to my WLAN with their laptops when they don't have
any wireless hardware. Everything built right into the box so no drivers or
anything needed. Intended hardware to use with it just sees it as a simple
ethernet drop. In fact, I use one of these animals with a Solaris box
because of it's simplicity. Its a small, little, "cute" animal as well --
hardly any footprint with it. Configuration is straight forward and simple
as its web based -- simply just point your browser to it's IP (ethernet
connection or over-the-air). Range is pretty good, especially receive.
Often I can see one of my neighbor's SSID's on them when no other wireless
hardware in my WLAN is picking it up.

Its an 802.11b animal, but thats usually more than adequate when all you
need is a pipe to the internet -- in which case your cable/dsl modem is your
main bottleneck anyway. I'm using a Tri-Mode (802.11a, 802.11g/b) router/AP
and a second AP (running as a repeater) as I need to pass a lot of data
around locally (I do video work) and use 802.11a for local traffic. For
internet "appliances" (consoles, media players, ect) 802.11b has proved to
be just fine for an internet-only pipe.

You may want to consider the particular of your router/AP when deciding on a
bridge though. Manufacturers usually have their own proprietary schemes to
allow for "turbo" data rates beyond the vanilla 802.11a/g/b specs. Often if
any hardware on an SSID is not capable of one of these "turbo schemes" then
that capability is disabled for everything on that SSID. I'm using all
DLink (with turbos) that allow (in theory and the perfect RF clean lab
environment) 108 Mbs for 802.11a, 802.11g and 22Mbs for 802.11b. Of course,
I never actually get that amount of bandwidth but the turbo does increase
the pipe somewhat substantially.

Cheers!
-E

Hoopster

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

Thanks for the great information. I will take a look at that model

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 20:12:31 GMT, "Eras" <none@nospam.not> wrote:

>"Hoopster" wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> I was looking at the Linksys or the Microsoft MN-740.
>> On ebay it looks like they are going for about $50.00 or so for the
>> microsoft model, and a little higher for the linksys.
>> Has anyone seen any deals on the store for these?
>> Can anyone recommend one over the other?
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Hi,
>
>I'm not familiar with either of the two products you mentioned above, but if
>you are just looking to save a few bucks then I can recommend the following
>wireless-ethernet bridge: DLink DWL-810+
>
>http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=21
>
>Google and shop around and they often come up ~$30.00. I found good deals
>on them in the past so now have four of them. Works just fine with XBox,
>PS2, Dreamcast (with BBA adapter), and also has been wonderful to allow
>friends to easily connect to my WLAN with their laptops when they don't have
>any wireless hardware. Everything built right into the box so no drivers or
>anything needed. Intended hardware to use with it just sees it as a simple
>ethernet drop. In fact, I use one of these animals with a Solaris box
>because of it's simplicity. Its a small, little, "cute" animal as well --
>hardly any footprint with it. Configuration is straight forward and simple
>as its web based -- simply just point your browser to it's IP (ethernet
>connection or over-the-air). Range is pretty good, especially receive.
>Often I can see one of my neighbor's SSID's on them when no other wireless
>hardware in my WLAN is picking it up.
>
>Its an 802.11b animal, but thats usually more than adequate when all you
>need is a pipe to the internet -- in which case your cable/dsl modem is your
>main bottleneck anyway. I'm using a Tri-Mode (802.11a, 802.11g/b) router/AP
>and a second AP (running as a repeater) as I need to pass a lot of data
>around locally (I do video work) and use 802.11a for local traffic. For
>internet "appliances" (consoles, media players, ect) 802.11b has proved to
>be just fine for an internet-only pipe.
>
>You may want to consider the particular of your router/AP when deciding on a
>bridge though. Manufacturers usually have their own proprietary schemes to
>allow for "turbo" data rates beyond the vanilla 802.11a/g/b specs. Often if
>any hardware on an SSID is not capable of one of these "turbo schemes" then
>that capability is disabled for everything on that SSID. I'm using all
>DLink (with turbos) that allow (in theory and the perfect RF clean lab
>environment) 108 Mbs for 802.11a, 802.11g and 22Mbs for 802.11b. Of course,
>I never actually get that amount of bandwidth but the turbo does increase
>the pipe somewhat substantially.
>
>Cheers!
>-E

"Hoopster" wrote
> Thanks for the great information. I will take a look at that model

No problem. Sorry for the long-winded reply. Just figured if you were
looking to save a few bucks then that particular bridge might fall onto your
list and could report that it has worked fine for every application that I
threw at it. Wouldn't spend more than $50 on it though.

The official Microsoft XBox wireless bridge seems to be quite pricey, but
guess the added advantage of being able to config it right from the XBox
dashboard is appealing to some.

Cheers!
-E

I have the mn740, it works fine. Easy to set up. I had to change the
channel on the router from the default of 6 because when my cordless
phone (2.4 ghz) was used it sometimes would cause me to go into the
blue screen/connecting to game screen. Once you set up the mn740 with
your network connection info when it's connected to the xbox, you can
move it to a ps2 and use it too - fyi.