700 Olympus C Series

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 26, 2005 9:30:46 PM

I came from a very basic point and shoot dig camera but I wanted more
options so I purchased a C700 in perfect condition but the manual lacks
detailed help in composing photos using all the detailed camera options
eg:making a basic night shot? I was hoping Olympus would at least offer
a how-to book to supplement the very basic manual...anyone have any
suggested reading?

More about : 700 olympus series

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 8:29:01 AM

"Mystro" <jysn@alum.caltech.edu> wrote in message
>I came from a very basic point and shoot dig camera but I wanted more
> options so I purchased a C700 in perfect condition but the manual lacks
> detailed help in composing photos using all the detailed camera options
> eg:making a basic night shot? I was hoping Olympus would at least offer
> a how-to book to supplement the very basic manual...anyone have any
> suggested reading?

I'm looking at getting a C-5500 and discovered the following about Olympus
Digital Cameras.
Recent models seem to include a "Basic" getting started guide, and a
complete manual on the accompanying CD.
If you don't have the CD ,you should be able to download the complete manual
from

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_c...

If you mean the C 7000 , after selecting it from the above page, you'll see
a Brochures and Manuals link on the LH side.
If it's anything like the C5500 manual , it's about a 15 mg download
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:41:31 AM

Barney Rubble wrote:
> Mystro wrote:
> > I came from a very basic point and shoot dig camera but I wanted more
> > options so I purchased a C700 in perfect condition but the manual lacks
> > detailed help in composing photos using all the detailed amera options
> > eg:making a basic night shot? I was hoping Olympus would at least offer
> > a how-to book to supplement the very basic manual...anyone have any
> > suggested reading?
> ...Recent models seem to include a "Basic" getting started guide, and a
> complete manual on the accompanying CD.
> http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_c...
> ...a Brochures and Manuals link on the LH side.
> If it's anything like the C5500 manual , it's about a 15 mg download

If not, or if you want to explore further afield, may I suggest this article
on composition.
"Why Don't My Pictures Look As Good As The Subject Did?"
http://daystarvisions.com/Docs/Tuts/FAQs/pg1.html#Comp1

This is part of the how-to you are seeking for generally referred to as
photographic technique. There are many worthwhile articles on the subject.
One good resource is this collection, as edited by enthusiasts/experts, in
the Open Directory Project: (some overlap is unavoidable)
http://dmoz.org/Arts/Photography/Techniques_and_Styles/...

--
Lin Chung
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].

Mystro wrote:
> I came from a very basic point and shoot dig camera but I wanted more
> options so I purchased a C700 in perfect condition but the manual lacks
> detailed help in composing photos using all the detailed camera options
> eg:making a basic night shot? I was hoping Olympus would at least offer
> a how-to book to supplement the very basic manual...anyone have any
> suggested reading?

You've got two questions here, I think. The first one deals with how
one goes about shooting something challenging like a night scene. The
second is about the detailed features of the C700 that can be used (or
worked around) in executing a something challenging like a night shot.

The first question is a "photography" question that can be answered by
practice and the study of books. The relationship of f-stop to
shutter speed and ISO sensitivity is generic, as is the problem
of composing a pleasing image.

The second question is largely answered by the C700 manual. In
particular, you need to look up the manual exposure modes and you
need to figure out how to focus manually when you can't see anything
in the viewfinder. I shoot sunsets when I have an opportunity. Some
of the best I've ever taken were done well after it was too dark for
my C700 to focus or set exposure by itself. I focused manually on
infinity and experimented with exposure values until I got what I
wanted. With the C700, a long exposure of a scene that looks black
in the viewfinder can be properly exposed when reviewed after the
shutter closes. Be warned that high ISO values or long exposures
drastically increase noise, and always use a tripod or other sturdy
support.

Paul Allen
!