A SMALL problem over here...

kakauetx

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
So im not really sure if this post should be here so, sorry if im wrong.

I have this PC that is really old but recently added some new parts. The specs are:
Pentium D 3.6gHz, with an ATI Radeon HD 5450 1gb, 1x2GB RAM, and a PSU of 500w.

The problem is that the new parts I added recently were the MOBO and some RAM cause i had problems with the previous one. So if you need to know, the board's model is an ASUS P5G41T-M LX.

The problem that i have is that when i play a game, for example League of Legends, i have these great 60FPS's, before the new ram/board i played at 25'ish, and then, suddenly, the fps go to 10 till i close the game ends. I find that wierd cause i dont know the cause.

Already tried a virus/spyware/malware scan with no success;
Used Ccleaner no clean the registry, with no improvements;
Problems with the disc being full or such are absurd since i have 80% of the dis FREE;
The temps stay basically the same, just change like 4C in general when the fps's drop;
From the inside, the machine is pretty clean and everything appears well connected;

So i was helping someone could help me out with this issue cause im really in need of a stable PC. If you need more info just ask and I will post it

Kari

Splendid

Still sounds like temperature throttling to me, what are the actuall temps?
edit for both, the cpu and gpu...

kakauetx

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
The temperature while idling is CPU 18C GPU 30C.
When playing with good fps's it goes to 28C and 36C.
When the fps drop it goes to 33 and 42

@jyjjy Yea, i think i should get one ._.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Those temperatures don't sound right. 18C is considerably below what ambient temperature would be for most people, and only going up 10C under a full load is very unusual. I'd expect your idle temps to be in the 30s, and load in the 50s to 60s.

Are you sure you're getting the right temperatures? What tool are you using to report them?

kakauetx

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
so in order:
System 32
CPU 21
AUX 53
HD0 30
HD1 27
CPU 52
MB 32
GPU 42

These temperatures are in idle, i only have skype and chrome open

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
You're idling at 52C, not 18. That's pretty damn high, and I'd guess you are indeed getting throttled.

When you installed everything into the new motherboard, you did scrape off the old thermal paste and apply fresh paste, right? If you didn't, that's definitely your problem. Even if you did, I'd recommend scraping it off and applying a fresh coat just to be sure.

kakauetx

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
The problem is i didn't really put the parts together, it was in a shop. If i dont have the thermal paste then they really messed up ._.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Didn't realize a shop put it together for you. Call them up, complain about your overheating and make them fix it. You could be getting hot enough to cause damage to the processor.

52C is not a normal idle temperature, and the shop who did the work should fix the problem they caused.

Yeah, you would still benefit greatly from a new CPU. As I said the one linked above is over twice as fast as yours.