jdbceltics

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Okay all, to start off I really don;t know if this should be posted in the CPU section, or if it even has anything to do with CPU Architecture at all, so please bear with me here.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit on my rig. I have an i7 950 processor.

Here is my problem (or not a problem at all) : In my Local Disk, there are two Program Files folders. One is just "Program Files", while the other one is "Program Files (x86).

My question is, why is it (x86) and not (x64) if I am running a 64 bit OS. Isn't (x86) for 32 bit OS'?

Is this a problem? Or is it possible that the folder is designated for programs that were made to run on 32 bit OS'?

Thanks everyone.

Solution

Wnidows 7 x64 pretty much considers the regular Program Files...

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Wnidows 7 x64 pretty much considers the regular Program Files folder as the folder for Native x64 applications during installation. All 32bit apps will automatically install themselves into the x86 folder.

Program Files (x86) = 32bit
Program Files = x64

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
+1^
And the term x86 is a legacy term relating to the original Intel 8086 processor. Later when the 80386 processor arrived, it implemented the first 32 bit extension of the 8086. The term should have been x86-32, but got shortened to just x86. Now that 64 bit processors are the norm, someone decided to skip the 8086 portion and just name it x64 instead of x86-64.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
Yep, but still you can install any app whether it's 32 or 64-bit anywhere and it'll run it regardless of file location, so it's pretty useless to have to 2 Program Files folder in the first place.

Well it may make it a little easier to organize window's own files but that's about it.