Sign in with
Your question

Choosing a PSU

Last response: in Components
August 11, 2012 8:22:38 PM

So I am helping a friend build a computer. Hes got a Gateway Fx Case with the factory motherboard and and CPU.

http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/DT.GD5AA.001

I need helping choosing a psu since this one is top mounted and I can only find bottom mounted. Hes also putting in a GTX 550 ti since the card this computer came with is no longer there.

Thanks,

Steve

More about : choosing psu

August 12, 2012 12:31:25 AM

top mounted and bottom mounted are absolutly same........................................
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 86 V Motherboard
August 12, 2012 12:40:16 AM

vasilisvvv said:
top mounted and bottom mounted are absolutly same........................................

Except that bottom-mounting a PSU requires longer cables, particularly if you want to route them neatly without having to use extension cables. Some motherboards make the 'neat' thing impossible by putting the ATX12V connector almost in the middle.
m
l
a c 157 ) Power supply
a c 487 V Motherboard
August 12, 2012 2:04:23 AM

InvalidError said:
Except that bottom-mounting a PSU requires longer cables, particularly if you want to route them neatly without having to use extension cables. Some motherboards make the 'neat' thing impossible by putting the ATX12V connector almost in the middle.

You're correct. Most (not all) PSUs designed for top mount don't have as long of CPU and 24 pin cables. If you search on Newegg, go to the details section and link to the manufacturer's product page and check the specs for cable lengths. But the ones for bottom mount will work fine for you. You just have to hide the excess length on a few cables.
m
l
!