Gaming Recommendation please~ AMD/Rad or Int/Nvid

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex3064

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
I'm thinking of Phenom2-x4 960T Zosma w/e Sapphire 6950 2gb for gaming - which is about $500
or i5-2500k w/ 560ti (dunno which one, suggest please)

anyone else got a better suggestion of cpu/gpu combination around $500?

Solution
It depends on your priorities. If you are going to be overclocking the 960T is perfectly capable for now and a while to come and a reasonable choice. The i5 offers much better performance as you can see and will be viable for much longer. The chipset is also superior in terms of upgradeability as LGA 1155 boards will support the next line of Intel processors, Ivy Bridge, while AM3 is already obsolete and Bulldozer turned out to be decidedly unimpressive.

alex3064

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

did, but some people say intel with radeon is okay, but dont work so well together, or something..

The HD6950(1gb or 2gb) and GTX 560 Ti are nearly identical in performance. The GTX 560 Ti is a good deal cheaper and performs better when overclocked so it is the better choice IMO. The processor you go with doesn't have anything to do with the video card really.

It is faster by a rather large amount. Here's a comparison with a different Phenom II x4 with the same clock speed(their performance should be identical);

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=80

This ignores overclocking which only expands the advantage of the i5. The only plus for the 960T is that you can often unlock the 2 extra disabled cores on the die. This is useless in a gaming context however and still won't even come close to matching the i5 even in highly multithreaded tasks.

alex3064

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

so even if 960T zosma is cheap and good, its better to spend extra 100 for i5-2500?

It depends on your priorities. If you are going to be overclocking the 960T is perfectly capable for now and a while to come and a reasonable choice. The i5 offers much better performance as you can see and will be viable for much longer. The chipset is also superior in terms of upgradeability as LGA 1155 boards will support the next line of Intel processors, Ivy Bridge, while AM3 is already obsolete and Bulldozer turned out to be decidedly unimpressive.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.