Is my build okay?

I'm considering building a server to learn all about servers and virtualization and so on.

I don't have a good idea of what exactly I need though.

Servers need lots of RAM in real use and such, but for a home lab use do I need 32 GB or even 16 GB?
How should I future proof? Are hyper-threaded Xeons much better?

I would use this server for anything I can get my hands on through schools and in the future and I guess
that would include things like Virtualization, Windows, Linux, database, file, mail, print, web -servers...

My build:

Intel Server Board S1200BTL ATX 224,90 €

Intel Xeon E3-1220 -processor LGA1155 217,90 €

TWO Western Digital Caviar Black 500 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 32MB 99,90 €

Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz ECC CL9 DIMM with Thermal Sensor 86,90 €

Antec BP 550U-EC Basiq 550W 70,90 €
(I might buy a PSU from Corsair or Seasonic instead, but this should suffice too I think)

Antec Three Hundred ATX-case 58,90 €

TOTAL:
859,30 €

++RAM (Another pair of 2x4GB to get 16 GB):
946,20 €

Or should I just buy a PC to play world of warcraft and drink the rest? (just kidding)
2 answers Last reply
More about build okay
  1. since this is just for you to learn on how about you build a new gaming pc and use the old one as your server.
  2. popatim said:
    since this is just for you to learn on how about you build a new gaming pc and use the old one as your server.

Though this whole build is just a thought I'm considering, I don't really play video games much.
    Would you say that an AMD Athlon 64 X2 with 3GB of memory might run virtualized servers well?
Ask a new question

Read More

Servers Build Virtualization Components