Need Help/Advice for Gaming Build

zoA

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next 2 months (Sorry I can't be more specific, it depends on money basically)

Budget Range: 600-800 (Closer to 600 if possible)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Graphic Design (without 3D rendering), Streaming Videos. Small amount of 3D rendering (3dsmax), music production (Ableton), and Video Editing (Premiere and After Effects)

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, OS (Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit), Power Supply (Corsair TX 750W), Optical Drives, Hard Drive (OCZ Vertex 3 120GB).

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca canadacomputers.com ncix.com

Parts Preferences: Best Product/Match Available (Haven't had any brand loyalty or preference in about 8 years)

Overclocking: At some point, but not needed immediately

SLI or Crossfire: At some point, but not needed immediately

Monitor Resolution: Right now I use 1280x1024

Additional Comments: I'm very out of the loop for hardware at the moment so I'm having a rough time figuring out the right combinations based on price vs need. I'd prefer a quiet computer, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Honestly right now the only thing I've really had an eye on is the i5 2500k, but any option is open right now. Just looking for a solid gaming build that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg and will be somewhat future proof if possible. So basically, what combination of CPU, GPU, MOBO, and RAM will give me the best bang for your buck with a Corsair TX-750W, and OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD. Also, I most likely need a new case for this setup, the cheaper the better.

Hopefully that fulfills what is required to pose the discussion thread here. Let me know if any other information is needed.

Thanks.

zoA

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
MOBO, CPU, RAM and GPU and potentially a case if someone has a suggestion. No additional storage needed (have it covered).

zoA

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Right now I have a seriously old Samsung 955DF (19"), it's old and pretty bad, and I could upgrade for pretty cheap, but it's not a priority so it's not listed at the moment.

Mobo asrock z77 extreme4
CPU i5-3570k
8gb ram (gskill, corsair etc)
Gpu 6870 or 560 gtx (same per this site)
Case corsair 400r or fractal r3
Should come in around 750. Can drop gpu to a 6770 and save 75 (plenty for your resolution).

slomo4sho

Distinguished

It should be a priority. There is no sense in getting a high end GPU if you are going to be viewing through a 19" screen at 1280x1024

zoA

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

Thanks for the reply, definitely thinking the 3570k, just going to wait to see how IB goes for a bit. Any particular reason for the Asrock z77 extreme4? Best performance in that price range? As for the GPU's, I think at this point those two are the front runners. With some research it's looking pretty close, hoping someone can provide some extra details on both. Appreciate the help.

I understand that, but you have to take into consideration that priority refers to what I want to buy right now. Just because I'm not looking to upgrade my monitor with this semi-new build, doesn't mean I don't plan to, it just means I don't consider it as time-important as getting the other listed parts.

I've been poring over mobos for the last several days and settled on the Extreme4.

I was previously going to get the Asus z77 LE but it doesn't support PCI3 x8/x8 if I ever decide to CF/SLI. The next step up ($200) does and the next step down ($135) does but does not have as good as power delivery system.

So I went back to the drawing board and kept seeing good things at all the tech sites about ASRock. Figured I'd get the Extreme6 but did a feature comparison and I just didn't need any of the extra connectors (everything else is the same). You can see the difference summarized here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?280386-Asrock-Z77-Extreme4-amp-Extreme6.-Report-issues-overclocks-and-related-stuff-here!

This will be my first ASRock (used Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI successfully in the past) but I'm confident it's a good choice.

seanmcd91

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I say get the rosewill challenger u3 case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147060

There is a $20 off code, so it is $40. I think it's a great deal for what you get.

Other than that, JED's list is great, pretty close to mine that I will be building here soon.

If you are looking for a good monitor, I can recommend the ASUS vs247h-p, I just picked it up for $160, and it's a great deal: http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS247H-P-23-6-Inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B005BZNDS0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335669712&sr=1-1

licktheenvelope

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Tip that worked for me:

Phone NCIX sales.

I got a great guy in Markham who told me exactly how many 680's were on backorder in every province and what my wait would be like + notified me via email the second they had them to be shipped to the location near me to pickup.

I also got semi-lucky and got basically the last one in their second order for my region out here on the West Coast.