Sign in with
Your question

Enabling GPU from outside Windows.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2012 9:47:09 AM

Hello,

I've had a few issues with my Radeon HD 4870 graphics card.
For instance, I couldn't open my CCC (Catalyst Control Center).
It just did not respond.
So, yesterday I wanted to completely uninstall all my AMD drivers, and then afterwards install them from the disk.

The problem is, I deactivated the onboard GPU on the motherboard, before I uninstalled all my AMD drivers.
When I restarted my PC I expected a 640 by 480 screen, whenever your video card drivers are not installed yet.
But I got an error when starting up, that it couldn't start up without the missing AMD file, from the (deactivated) on board GPU.

It was a stupid mistake, and I would like some constructive advice for how to get my computer working again.

And FYI, I have little to no advanced knowledge about command prompt, BIOS settings etc.etc.
I know how to replace a GPU on the inside of my computer and how to install drivers, but that's about it.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick Huijten

More about : enabling gpu windows

a c 376 U Graphics card
February 21, 2012 9:58:24 AM

You can reset your BIOS to default settings and thereby reactivate the onboard graphics in two ways. Motherboards have a jumper used to specifically reset the BIOS. You would want to find your motherboards manual and it would tell you where the jumper is. Then you unplug the computer, remove the jumper, wait 5 mins or so to be sure about it, then replace the jumper and start it up. Alternately you can do the same but remove the battery on the motherboard instead of the jumper. It is round and silver and shouldn't be too hard to spot.
February 21, 2012 10:25:18 AM

Thanks for the swift respond.
I'll see if that works, if not, I will respond back.
Related resources
February 21, 2012 11:11:42 AM

Battery swap did not work.
Checking if jumper works now.
February 21, 2012 12:54:42 PM

jyjjy said:
You can reset your BIOS to default settings and thereby reactivate the onboard graphics in two ways. Motherboards have a jumper used to specifically reset the BIOS. You would want to find your motherboards manual and it would tell you where the jumper is. Then you unplug the computer, remove the jumper, wait 5 mins or so to be sure about it, then replace the jumper and start it up. Alternately you can do the same but remove the battery on the motherboard instead of the jumper. It is round and silver and shouldn't be too hard to spot.

Okay, so I tried both swapping the battery and using the jumper.
I could see that my computer noticed the BIOS reset, but still gives an error.
The error is, "missing AMDide64.sys". Something in that direction.
That was the original error.
The menu suggests I use my WIN7 disc to repair Windows.
I've gone into a deep mist from there.

Any help would be appreciated.
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2012 1:05:50 PM

Ok but you are getting video visual now when you get into windows correct?, if so the worst is behind you.
February 21, 2012 2:02:24 PM

Yes, there is a visual. But there never wasn't, so that's irrelevant.
February 21, 2012 2:03:27 PM

Well, I am getting a start of the Windows visuals. It starts to load, and then gives an error mentioned above.
!