Sign in with
Your question
Solved

High Pitched Noise

Last response: in Components
August 11, 2012 10:23:57 PM

Sorry if you guys have seen this a hundred times but I can't get this fixed even from googling my issue. So my PC has made a high pitched noise, like one of those mosquito repellent things, since day one. Its aggravated me too much however so I want to permanently quiet my PC. I opened my case and I couldn't pinpoint the noise. Im thinking its the PSU based on google results. However there is a TON of dust and even a spider web in there :o  . So I'm not certain whats the problem. How do I isolate my parts and check what is the problem. Thanks!

Specs:
Seagate 1TB Serial ATA HD
ASUS 24X DVDRW
ASUS P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 P67 LGA1155 MOTHERBOARD
Corsair High Perform Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz (One Stick)
Corsair Builder Series CX600 V2 600W PSU 80+
EVGA GeForce GTX 560
Cooler Master Elite 334 Case

Edit: Forgot to mention it seems to start at the windows 7 login screen

More about : high pitched noise

Best solution

August 11, 2012 10:55:05 PM

With the computer off you can unscrew the PSU and case fans and set them outside the case. It's much easier to tell if they are making the noise if they are outside the case. Turn the computer back on and hold them up to your ear, if the part is making the noise you'll be able to tell. Be careful, it really hurts if you stick your finger in a fan. If it's not one of those parts, you can do that with the graphics card (disabled) and HDD as well. If those pass as well, it's probably the motherboard.
a b ) Power supply
August 11, 2012 11:09:45 PM

For one, clean the parts, and two, I suggest you suggest what AM2A has said...not really the stick your finger in the fans part, but unplug your fans, and try and isolate the noise.
August 22, 2012 12:08:26 AM

Best answer selected by frostyrawr.
!