Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Good CPU upgrade for my rig

Last response: in CPUs
August 11, 2012 11:03:47 PM

Hey all. Havnt posted much in a while since i got help making a new rig and upgrading my brother's. But now upgrade time is back. I just upgraded my GPU from a radeon hd 6850 to a radeon hd 7970 and over clocked it to a comfy 1050 core clock. I have skyrim almost maxed out. Its AA is set to X8 and my Catalyst AA is set to balanced. The game looks and runs great at 60fps in most cases.But i want more lol.
Skyrim is mainly a CPU driven game. My cpu is ok but i want to upgrade. Heres my rig stats:

AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology (I got it overclocked to about 3900 Mhz)

8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory

AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB

650 Watt corsair power supply

1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

GigaByte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard

With this motherboard and set up what type of CPU should i get? I want a fast one for a reasonable price that i could slightly OC. I plan on replacing it myself too.

I also have Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan does this have anything to do with the heat sink fan? I ask because i was wondering if i should get a newer stronger heat sink fan as well.

Any and all advice on the matter is highly appreciated. Thanks guys
Dave

More about : good cpu upgrade rig

Best solution

a c 109 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 11:21:00 PM

In terms of upgrading, it may be better to just try and get the maximum possible OC out of your current chip. I don't think the FX-6xxx or FX-81XX will yield much improvement considering the cost.

That and taking into consideration your motherboard, which isn't meant to be an overclocker at all (my brother has one).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I recommend getting one of these and putting it on your motherboard, then pushing your OC as much as you can. I wouldn't recommend an extreme overclock but a mild 4.5Ghz should be do-able. (My brother has one of those heatsinks on his 970A-D3 so you'll know 100% it works.)
a c 283 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 11:24:41 PM

Honestly, even a small OC on a Phenom II X4 965BE would be better than OC'ing that 4100 any more.
m
l
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 11:27:49 PM

^ Great point.

Considering the 965's are pretty cheap it's very reasonable too. Though it's kind of sad you have to go back a generation of CPU's to get an 'upgrade' :lol: 

I guess it just depends on what OP wants to do :) 
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 11:29:21 PM

mocchan said:
Though it's kind of sad you have to go back a generation of CPU's to get an 'upgrade' :lol: 

I agree. Bulldozer is just hideous. A 4170 is decent enough for gaming and a 81xx is good enough for video editing or 3D modeling, but man, Piledriver better be a lot better.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 11:34:02 PM

Agreed...I'm honestly hoping AMD can make some sort of improvement with Piledriver, it's interesting comparing the Pro's and Con's of the CPU's from each company, it wouldn't be any fun if AMD just flops all of them :lol: 
m
l
August 12, 2012 1:58:50 AM

Thanks for the replys guys. So that brings up even a few more questions. If i go for the Phenom II X4 965BE should i still get the enzotech heatsink considering my motherboard? Also, if im gonna get a new cpu shouldnt i get a better faster one instead of a slower one?
m
l
August 12, 2012 2:05:30 AM

I looked this up. Would this peticular purchase be a good fit for my MB?

m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
August 12, 2012 2:06:51 AM

dmartelli84 said:
Thanks for the replys guys. So that brings up even a few more questions. If i go for the Phenom II X4 965BE should i still get the enzotech heatsink considering my motherboard? Also, if im gonna get a new cpu shouldnt i get a better faster one instead of a slower one?

I honestly don't know much about either the CPU cooler or the Enzotech, but honestly, a Hyper 212 Evo should be enough to OC the 965BE to a pretty high clock (most seem to top out at 4Ghz or so).

That will still be better and faster than a highly OC'd 4100 though. It's just not a good CPU. The only current gen CPU that makes ANY sense to "upgrade" to is a 8120/50, and THAT'S only because of the extra "cores" (well, 8 integer cores and 4 execution units, compared to the 4 integer cores and 2 execution units of the 4100).

Otherwise, a 965BE is the way to go.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
August 12, 2012 2:07:56 AM

dmartelli84 said:
I looked this up. Would this peticular purchase be a good fit for my MB?

Yes.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
August 12, 2012 2:08:07 AM

The Phenom II X4 965 isn't slower by any means. It's quite old, but it's faster than the FX-4100.

Now that may come as a shock to you, but the Bulldozer architecture was a giant flop and doesn't perform as well. Some of the BD line even lose to AMD's old Phenom II X6 CPU's.

You should get the Enzotech heatsink either way, though. Since the VRM's are completely exposed on your motherboard, and it might bring up a few concerns about overheating. Here are a few pics of my brother's board -

m
l
August 12, 2012 2:38:40 AM

Ok kool so far it looks like the phenom is gonna be the way to go. But ive noticed alot of people have the i7 2700k(including you) lol. Would it just be better to switch over that (if its possible)? What i really want to know is what is the best possible coarse of action?
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
August 12, 2012 2:41:19 AM

It would really depend on how much money you are willing to invest.

I wasn't ready to jump ship to Sandy/Ivy Bridge, but I got a deal on a sweet motherboard and my CPU for a price I couldn't refuse :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2012 2:45:17 AM

just wait for pile driver to come out .. they should be releaseing soon.. with in the next 2 - 3 months ..
m
l
August 12, 2012 2:59:44 AM

ok thanks again. pile driver will probly be more compatible with my MB (i believe). so maybe ill just get the enzotech and OC my fx 4100 for now and upgrade later.
m
l
August 12, 2012 3:12:06 AM

mocchan said:
In terms of upgrading, it may be better to just try and get the maximum possible OC out of your current chip. I don't think the FX-6xxx or FX-81XX will yield much improvement considering the cost.

That and taking into consideration your motherboard, which isn't meant to be an overclocker at all (my brother has one).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I recommend getting one of these and putting it on your motherboard, then pushing your OC as much as you can. I wouldn't recommend an extreme overclock but a mild 4.5Ghz should be do-able. (My brother has one of those heatsinks on his 970A-D3 so you'll know 100% it works.)

So i'm gonna take this initial advice temporarily and get the heatsink and OC the 4100, then just wait for the piledriver to come out and try that out.
Considering im a noob when it comes to CPU and motherboard components could you explain to me what the purpose of that enzotech heatsink is. And also, all other knowledge and info you have about overclocking that processor and using that motherboard would be appreciated.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
August 12, 2012 3:26:51 AM

dmartelli84 said:
So i'm gonna take this initial advice temporarily and get the heatsink and OC the 4100, then just wait for the piledriver to come out and try that out.
Considering im a noob when it comes to CPU and motherboard components could you explain to me what the purpose of that enzotech heatsink is. And also, all other knowledge and info you have about overclocking that processor and using that motherboard would be appreciated.

Nah don't consider yourself a 'noob', I find that term to be too harsh. I prefer "new to overclocking" or "beginner" :lol: 

Anyways the purpose of this Enzotech heatsink is so your mosfets can disperse some of it's heat away from itself. When they get too hot...well it can cause your entire rig to 'poof'...which isn't really pretty.

As for overclocking, I suggest you read a few guides before you do anything :)  it'll give you better knowledge on the subject and less risk of you frying your board or CPU.

Also it might be best to look at other people's overclocks and take a look at the settings they used. Keep in mind not all boards and CPU's are the same, so you may not get the exact overclock they get, but it can be used as a guideline.
m
l
August 12, 2012 3:49:24 AM

I cannot see upgrading as providing you with any significant improvement for gaming, we are talking single digit frame increases. If you really want to upgrade, I would wait for Piledriver to come out.
m
l
August 12, 2012 3:30:35 PM

rmerwede said:
I cannot see upgrading as providing you with any significant improvement for gaming, we are talking single digit frame increases. If you really want to upgrade, I would wait for Piledriver to come out.

Well in skyrim in certain towns and situations my framerate drops to about 30-40 and my cpu usage stays at about 80% and the gpu usage drops to about 60-70%. Is this some type of bottleneck? This is really what im tryin to improve. In most cases it stays at 60 which is perfect for me
m
l
August 12, 2012 3:35:23 PM

mocchan said:
Nah don't consider yourself a 'noob', I find that term to be too harsh. I prefer "new to overclocking" or "beginner" :lol: 

Anyways the purpose of this Enzotech heatsink is so your mosfets can disperse some of it's heat away from itself. When they get too hot...well it can cause your entire rig to 'poof'...which isn't really pretty.

As for overclocking, I suggest you read a few guides before you do anything :)  it'll give you better knowledge on the subject and less risk of you frying your board or CPU.

Also it might be best to look at other people's overclocks and take a look at the settings they used. Keep in mind not all boards and CPU's are the same, so you may not get the exact overclock they get, but it can be used as a guideline.

Im about to order this thing but theres an issue, i have a liquid cooling system and it appears the radiator fan woul prevent the heatsink from fitting over the mosfets. (ill post a pic shortly).
Also would this liquid cooling system be sufficient and possibly help enough to not require the mosfet heatsink?

Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan
m
l
August 12, 2012 4:09:55 PM

Heres the pics of the mosfets and radiator fan. (i know its dusty, im gonna clean it with the air sprayer today lol)

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
August 12, 2012 8:40:37 PM

Actually this liquid cooling system is even more of a reason to get the heatsink. You are not getting any airflow at all ontop of the mosfets (even without the heatsink) which could cause some extremely high temperatures.

Is there a different location you could possibly place the radiator? Possibly the top of the case? If not, I wouldn't recommend buying the heatsink as I'm pretty sure it won't fit.
m
l
August 12, 2012 9:46:49 PM

Those pictures dont actually give it a reasonable view. I already ordered the heatsinks :o . i dont think i could put the radiator anywhere else but i think theres more room in thier than it looks like. could you give me an estimate on the height of those heatsinks and ill check to see if theres room
m
l
August 12, 2012 9:53:24 PM

mocchan said:
Actually this liquid cooling system is even more of a reason to get the heatsink. You are not getting any airflow at all ontop of the mosfets (even without the heatsink) which could cause some extremely high temperatures.

Is there a different location you could possibly place the radiator? Possibly the top of the case? If not, I wouldn't recommend buying the heatsink as I'm pretty sure it won't fit.

believe it or not, there is good airflow through that whole area. theres actually about 2 and a half inches between the mosfets and the radiator. i wonder if that will be enought
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
August 12, 2012 11:57:07 PM

I'll measure those for you :)  give me a little bit and I'll be right back.
m
l
August 13, 2012 12:55:27 AM

Thank you very much
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
August 13, 2012 2:32:56 AM

Just a shade over 1 inch height wise already on the motherboard and around a half an inch width wise...3.5 inches length :) 
m
l
August 13, 2012 3:28:36 AM

sweet thank you very much. I believe it will fit
m
l
August 13, 2012 3:28:57 AM

Best answer selected by dmartelli84.
m
l
!