Sign in with
Your question

1000-2000 Gaming/recording PC build

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2012 2:41:57 AM

Hey guys. I'm trying to get going on making up a new PC.

What I want out of it? I want to be able to game comfortably on an average monitor, nothing OMGHUGERESOLUTION or anything, but I want to be able to max out on those lower resolutions at least. I also want to record games from the TV, or for streaming in general. I had a lot of issues with lagging when I did this on my previous PC, so it's one of the big reason I want a new one.

Looking to spend up to around 2k. Obviously, the lower the better, but I don't want to be stingy on anything. I want a monster that I can stream, record games be it Minecraft, WoW, or Diablo 3, and just not.. lag much.

I am mostly sure about the GPU, but everything else? I don't really know what to get. I made up a build so far, but I have no idea about it. Everything I've ever looked up CPU and GPU wise, I've always seen this site, and this forum, so I'm hoping you guys can help me make something I'm happy with.

Here are the list of things I tracked down already. Any ideas for replacement parts would be great, and reasoning for it even better so I can know why what I picked isn't as good, or if it's more bang for the buck without too much of a performance hit. Like I said, I want to be able to max out on my smaller monitor, and be able to put the computer through the stress of recording and streaming on the fly.

Antec P280 XL-ATX Tower Case - The... well. Case. I've got no idea the best thing to get case wise is, but whatever. Not so much worried about the case, as long as it's cool and works.

Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit - 16GB of memory. I'm never sure how much is too much, but I know how much is too little. Is 16GB overkill? Or will that do fine? I read that corsair seems to be a favourite of gaming, so I figured I'd give them a try. I know there's G.Skill, and Kingston and all that, but yeah.

Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core Unlocked Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Sandy Bridge 8MB -The processor. From what I know, this was more or less close to the high end, before you get into those 'super' ones that are upwards of a grand. Is this actually.. well, good enough for what I want? Is there something better? Is it too good? Seemed reasonably priced, so I wasn't sure.

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 SLI 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 DisplayPort USB3.0 Motherboard - I have no idea about motherboards, but I was pretty sure this one did what I had needed it do for the parts I wanted. Motherboards are a mystery to me, so chances are I'll need help with this one.

Corsair Professional HX1000W 1000W ATX 12V 80A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan - The power supply. Wasn't sure how much I needed, but I figured 1000w would be more than enough, just to be safe. It's kind of important and all, and I'd really like to make sure that it's quiet, and doesn't have a horrible buzzing sound. How's this, and is there anything better?

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB 2.5IN SATA3 SandForce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive - SSD - Never had a solid state drive before, but I heard they were amazing. There's 120GB ones, but with how big games are getting these days, I figured something like 240 GB would be better. Not sure on the brand, or what but.. either way, I definitely want to try out an SSD. I'll also be getting..

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbps 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive - OEM - HD - A secondary drive, just for storage purposes. All those random files and downloads can really add up, you know? So I wanted a lot for once. Would an external drive be better for something like storage? My only problem with them is that I think recording and saving is better done on an internal drive.

And lastly..

Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 OC 1000MHZ 3.0GB 5.5GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2XDP PCI-E Video Card - The video card. For the most part, I saw that the 7970 was pretty much high end, as far as single cards go. I know that kepler is out and about, but I wasn't sure if it was as good quality + price was to go ahead and get one of those instead. I can be convinced if an argument or price argument is good enough to get an Nvidia equivalent, but I just heard and saw in benchmarks that this is up there in everything. I'd be willing to buy a second one for Xfire of SLI in the future if I needed to upgrade.

So. How's this build? What would you guys change? I added up all this roughly and it was about 1800-1900 before I newegged it down and hacked away at the price. I could probably knock off some cost with it, but I really want to make sure the build is just right. Can you guys help me out?
April 29, 2012 3:39:15 AM

That PSU is overkill. Swap it for a quality 550W unit for one 7970 or a 750/850W for CF. For gaming, the i7-2600k will provide zero benefits over the i5-2500k. Unless you plan to do something CPU intensive along with gaming, get the i5-2500k and pocket the $100 saved.

What is your monitor's res? If it is less than 1920x1080, the Radeon 7970 is a waste.
m
l
April 29, 2012 3:45:24 AM

azeem40 said:
That PSU is overkill. Swap it for a quality 550W unit for one 7970 or a 750/850W for CF. For gaming, the i7-2600k will provide zero benefits over the i5-2500k. Unless you plan to do something CPU intensive along with gaming, get the i5-2500k and pocket the $100 saved.

What is your monitor's res? If it is less than 1920x1080, the Radeon 7970 is a waste.

It's a smaller monitor. The thing is, when it comes to recording and playing at the same time, it's ridiculously intensive on the system. I'm not sure if it's the CPU alone, or the GPU and the CPU together that can struggle with it.

I just don't want any problems doing whatever I want. If I get a better monitor in the future, if I need to crossfire the video card. I just want something high end, that will slap the things I can't do on my current system very well in the face, and have no problem with it.

I have heard that the PSU is overkill though. I could probably find something less. What're the good brands for quiet PSU? I've had ones in the past that have a hideous buzz that can drive you crazy if it's not facing away from you. Thank you very much for the input! You're the second person to say something about the CPU being overkill, so I guess I have to look into it.

The CPU is new though. I'll have to look into that.
m
l
Related resources
April 29, 2012 3:48:01 AM

You only need CF on 2560x1440 res or higher. I suggested the watts needed for a single 7970, which was 550W.
m
l
April 29, 2012 3:55:49 AM

azeem40 said:
You only need CF on 2560x1440 res or higher. I suggested the watts needed for a single 7970, which was 550W.

Alright, I'll look into the PSU for sure, thanks man! 850W in case I want to CF in the future? Do you happen to know the top brand names as far as PSU go? I just don't want a loud one that buzzes.

What did you think about all the other parts? Fine?
m
l
April 29, 2012 4:13:38 AM

Yes, 850W is going to have enough headroom.
m
l
!