Sign in with
Your question

Power surge from inadequate PSU?

Last response: in Components
August 12, 2012 12:57:18 AM

So I recently built a new computer mixed some parts from my previous build with some new ones. Today (about 2 days after I built it) I had my computer shut off while I was using it and when it rebooted it gave me the screen saying it had just stopped a power surge.

My specs

Mobo- ASUS P8Z77-V
CPU- intel i7 3770k
GPU - XFX Radeon 7970 black edition
Heatsink - Noctua 6 NH-D14

I use a 700w asus PSU (can't say exact model can look up if need be) from my previous build which it worked great on. but now I am wondering if maybe I need to get 800w+ since I haven't really even remotely put any of rig to the test.

thanks any input would be appreciated
-Berict

was looking into maybe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... if an upgrade would be recommended
a c 136 ) Power supply
August 12, 2012 1:23:18 AM

A quick estimate of your power needs would put you around 400W total (with overclock). I would think a better PSU like the XFX model would work fine, even a 650W would do (unless you plan on X-fire later).
I don't know that I would replace the PSU just yet although having a backup one on hand probably isn't a bad idea.
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 12, 2012 1:24:00 AM

It definitely sounds like a possible PSU problem, but too little wattage isn't the cause. It just sounds like the PSU may dying, in general (and since it's an older unit, that wouldn't surprise me).

That system can get away with 550-600W, easily (and AMD only recommends a 500W unit for a 7970).

This would be plenty and is a great unit. PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom $89.99 ($69.99 after MIR)

That XFX unit is great too, but you just don't need that much wattage unless you want to Crossfire at some point.
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2012 1:33:27 AM

I may do crossfire but it won't be in the remotely near future but that leads me into a bit of worry because this PSU was working fine in the other computer which was only roughly 2 years old. I just had the same power surge happen again and I can't seem to find a common factor. I feel I should find the source of the problem before buying new parts
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 12, 2012 1:38:30 AM

I don't remember who makes Asus PSU's (Asus doesn't), but I don't remember them being very high quality either. That's what worries me. It may not be very old, but if it's a lower quality unit like I believe it to be, it doesn't surprise me at all that it's unstable, at the very least.
m
l
!