Computer Keeps Restarting After BIOS post! Help!

Hello,

I was playing a video in VLC player when the video suddenly froze and a loud sound was coming from the speakers. Reacting to this, I promptly did a hard reset on my computer. From then on, my computer will continue to reboot after posting BIOS. It will NOT go into the Windows 7 loading screen. I'm able to go into the BIOS, set boot order and all of that with it not restarting.

I have tried several things to try to troubleshoot this problem:

1) Take out all peripherals (including graphics card, USB stuff, HDD's, etc.)-- the result is that after bios, it will ask for a CD or HDD to boot from. Which I thought would eliminate the power supply and the motherboard from being the issue.

2) One memory module at a time (Kingston HyperX 1600 4x2GB) running 8 passes of Memtest--with no errors present. Tried also booting with one stick at a time--still restarting after BIOS.

3) Reformatting both my HDD and SSD and trying to use each together, then separately to boot windows--to no avail. Still restarting after BIOS posting.

4) Tried another power supply--it was significantly less than my 850W power supply, approximately 500 watts--but I took out my GTX 670 FTW to lower the wattage. It wouldn't even power on my system...lol.

** So I have no clue how to get past the BIOS and boot into windows. My initial guess is that when the video froze and the loud buzzing sound came from the speakers, it was caused by the video driver (GTX 670 FTW) crashing, or the CPU overheating too much. But my room is extremely cool with my air conditioner in, and I have had no previous problems with overheating yet.

--If my CPU did overheat and worst case, even die--the computer wouldn't even be able to post, am I wrong?

--It might be my power supply, but if it posts to BIOS, shouldn't it be okay?

--I can go into BIOS, and even boot from a windows 7 CD.


Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Here are my specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte G77X-UD5H
Processor: i5 3570k
Ram: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600mhz
PSU: Raidmax RX-850 80 plus Gold
GPU: Intel 4000 (on board) + GTX 670 FTW (card)
8 answers Last reply
More about computer restarting bios post help
  1. Reset the CMOS memory the right way as is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
    And when the battery is out, press the power button to discharge all the electricity from the system.
    How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm
  2. nikorr said:
    Reset the CMOS memory the right way as is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
    And when the battery is out, press the power button to discharge all the electricity from the system.
    How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm








    Thank you for the suggestion! However, after resetting the CMOS and resetting the BIOS to it's default state, it is still rebooting after BIOS post. A weird predicament indeed...
  3. Resetting the CMOS would have been my first suggestion, too. Can you boot to Safe Mode? If so, try to do a system restore.
  4. clutchc said:
    Resetting the CMOS would have been my first suggestion, too. Can you boot to Safe Mode?


    Pressing F8 upon booting will not give me the "safe mode" option screen. I'm currently at work now, but when I get home, I will reset the CMOS both ways (taking out battery and CMOS reset button) and I will try again to get to the safe mode menu. But as far as I know, neither of those options are working either!

    But thank you so much for your suggestion!
  5. xenon64 said:
    Pressing F8 upon booting will not give me the "safe mode" option screen. I'm currently at work now, but when I get home, I will reset the CMOS both ways (taking out battery and CMOS reset button) and I will try again to get to the safe mode menu. But as far as I know, neither of those options are working either!

    But thank you so much for your suggestion!

    Generally, you need to continuosly tap the F8 key often as soon as you get the boot screen.
  6. Hi guys,
    The other day in my bios I changed the option of os from wondows to other os and when I saved and exited the pc shut down.
    Then when I turned on my pc there was no display and no power to the keyboard and mouse but the pc was running. This was happening repeatedly.
    Then I pressed the clear cmos button after turning on the pc and since then the pc keeps on restarting , you can hear the fans and light on the motherboard but no display.
    The pc starts for few seconds then again stops then starts . Its like a continuous cycle.
    Its not a ram problem nor the graphic card slot problem.
    Motherboard - gigabyte ga-z87x-oc
  7. I don't have an answer but but I'm in a similar issue. Mine happens when I hard shutdown the PC. My specs are Corsair 300r amd asrock 990fx extreme 3 with and 6300. 8 gigs of corsair ram and corsair builder series 600 watt. I have tried a lot of things like reset bios update it, reinstall windows , tried out several different data cables and different sata ports. Its been going on here and there and today it happened again. I just don't know anymore. I'm assuming its gotta be the power supplie. It is a year and half old and the native data powers adapters all broke that's another issues. Any suggestions would heplp
  8. xenon64 said:
    Hello,

    I was playing a video in VLC player when the video suddenly froze and a loud sound was coming from the speakers. Reacting to this, I promptly did a hard reset on my computer. From then on, my computer will continue to reboot after posting BIOS. It will NOT go into the Windows 7 loading screen. I'm able to go into the BIOS, set boot order and all of that with it not restarting.

    I have tried several things to try to troubleshoot this problem:

    1) Take out all peripherals (including graphics card, USB stuff, HDD's, etc.)-- the result is that after bios, it will ask for a CD or HDD to boot from. Which I thought would eliminate the power supply and the motherboard from being the issue.

    2) One memory module at a time (Kingston HyperX 1600 4x2GB) running 8 passes of Memtest--with no errors present. Tried also booting with one stick at a time--still restarting after BIOS.

    3) Reformatting both my HDD and SSD and trying to use each together, then separately to boot windows--to no avail. Still restarting after BIOS posting.

    4) Tried another power supply--it was significantly less than my 850W power supply, approximately 500 watts--but I took out my GTX 670 FTW to lower the wattage. It wouldn't even power on my system...lol.

    ** So I have no clue how to get past the BIOS and boot into windows. My initial guess is that when the video froze and the loud buzzing sound came from the speakers, it was caused by the video driver (GTX 670 FTW) crashing, or the CPU overheating too much. But my room is extremely cool with my air conditioner in, and I have had no previous problems with overheating yet.

    --If my CPU did overheat and worst case, even die--the computer wouldn't even be able to post, am I wrong?

    --It might be my power supply, but if it posts to BIOS, shouldn't it be okay?

    --I can go into BIOS, and even boot from a windows 7 CD.


    Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

    Here are my specs:

    Mobo: Gigabyte G77X-UD5H
    Processor: i5 3570k
    Ram: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600mhz
    PSU: Raidmax RX-850 80 plus Gold
    GPU: Intel 4000 (on board) + GTX 670 FTW (card)


    I've had the same problem, like slender man noise coming out of left speaker then it freezes, I've dusted off everything, then noticed in the BIOS screen the HDD isn't being read properly as it continuously kept restarting, so I removed it and dusted it off and put back in, worked like a charm
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs BIOS Computers