Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading To xfire 6870's

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2012 2:24:08 PM

Hello I am wanting to upgrade to crossfire 6870's and i want to know what else i will need to upgrade to do that here is my computer:

Gpu: Saphire 6870
Mobo: 970A-G45
Cpu: Phenom 2 960T @ 3.6ghz (i will try to get it to 4 when my new cooler arrives)
Psu: 550w

Will my cpu bottleneck it?

More about : upgrading xfire 6870

February 21, 2012 2:55:55 PM

To be honest, I'm more concerned about your chipset. The 970 and specifically that board may have 2 identical card slots. But the bottom slot only has 4 PCIe lanes to work with. There are benchmark results here that indicate a fairly significant decrease in performance for having a card on an x4 slot. nVidia doesn't even enable SLI on the board because they it's a detriment to performance. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pcie-geforce-gtx-48... 990FX motherboards aren't too expensive at this point. Your processor is actually fine. I mean, it might hold you back from getting say, framerates over 150FPS,in situations where the graphics cards are asking for "More!", but in graphically intensive workloads, it'll give you solid performance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 3:18:43 PM

Yes your CPU will limit two 6870s in some situations especially if you game below 1080p. Even so it will be a good increase in performance over a single card so I say go for it. You may want to upgrade your PSU though.
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2012 3:34:09 PM

Xenturion said:
To be honest, I'm more concerned about your chipset. The 970 and specifically that board may have 2 identical card slots. But the bottom slot only has 4 PCIe lanes to work with. There are benchmark results here that indicate a fairly significant decrease in performance for having a card on an x4 slot. nVidia doesn't even enable SLI on the board because they it's a detriment to performance. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pcie-geforce-gtx-48... 990FX motherboards aren't too expensive at this point. Your processor is actually fine. I mean, it might hold you back from getting say, framerates over 150FPS,in situations where the graphics cards are asking for "More!", but in graphically intensive workloads, it'll give you solid performance.

Thanks for your reply i honestly dont know if im ready to upgrade this yet but its nice to know what i need to do when i upgade. Its also nice to know my cpu isn't horrible because after i bought it ive been hearing all this stuff about how horrible amd has been this gen.
m
l
February 21, 2012 3:34:28 PM

Yes, I recommend upgrading your PSU to at least 700 watts from a reputable brand such as Antec, Corsair, or Seasonic. All PSUs are not created equal.

After that, I would upgrade your motherboard to 2 16x slots or 2 8x slots.

After that, there's not much more you can do with your CPU. It's pretty decent for AMD, especially overclocked. But you're not going to see a significant performance boost unless you switch to Intel. So if you're up for doing that at the same time you upgrade your motherboard, do it, and get the i5-2500k.
m
l
February 21, 2012 3:55:38 PM

I would be way more concerned about your PSU than anything else. 550W will not cut it. I would go 750W minimum and make sure its a reputable manufacturer like Antec or Corsair.

Along those lines the 6870 takes two (2) 6-pin 75W PCI-E power plugs...per card! So you will need four (4) 6-pin PCI-E power connectors total. Most PSUs will only have two integrated PCI-E power plugs. You will probably then have to use a molex to PCI-E power plug adapter for your second 6870 (most new-in-box video cards will include one though).

I have a similar setup with one 6870 and was considering CF'ing a second but right now I dont play any games higher than 1080p (or any games made in the last 4-5 years...I'm old and takes me a while to finish). Also, the microstutter (as I found it was called) I got from my previous 4850 CF setup really caused me to second guess the CF benefits and technology.
m
l
February 21, 2012 4:11:13 PM

old_newbie said:
I would be way more concerned about your PSU than anything else. 550W will not cut it. I would go 750W minimum and make sure its a reputable manufacturer like Antec or Corsair.

Along those lines the 6870 takes two (2) 6-pin 75W PCI-E power plugs...per card! So you will need four (4) 6-pin PCI-E power connectors total. Most PSUs will only have two integrated PCI-E power plugs. You will probably then have to use a molex to PCI-E power plug adapter for your second 6870 (most new-in-box video cards will include one though).

I have a similar setup with one 6870 and was considering CF'ing a second but right now I dont play any games higher than 1080p (or any games made in the last 4-5 years...I'm old and takes me a while to finish). Also, the microstutter (as I found it was called) I got from my previous 4850 CF setup really caused me to second guess the CF benefits and technology.

Hmmm i'll have to read up on this micro stutter.
m
l
February 21, 2012 4:30:23 PM

tiop said:
Hmmm i'll have to read up on this micro stutter.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

I bought a 2 16x mobo specifically so I could crossfire, but after hearing about the micro-stuttering, I'm going to upgrade to a better single card sometime in the future.

I game at 1920x1080 and my 6870 rarely has any problem at all with anything I've thrown at it.
m
l
February 21, 2012 4:51:26 PM

Its borderline on the CPU... but honestly in this case, your Power Supply will be more of a limiting factor. If ure hellbent on upping the graphix in that rig without upgrading to a sandy-bridge PC, or better, consider Amd's New 7950... better performance then Xfire in your particular board, and out of only 1 card too.

Rumors abound that these cards are also very decently overclock-able... should be to the point to where you could bottleneck your CPU with just one card.
m
l
February 21, 2012 11:32:48 PM

old_newbie said:

I have an extra 500w psu laying around do you think it would be possible to use that to power another 6870? I know it sounds stupid but...
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2012 7:20:08 PM

You can do that, use dual PSUs, but please don't. As I said you may be able to power both cards IF you have a quality PSU

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1445/17/

Even so I'd be a bit uncomfortable not upgrading that PSU, but that's just me. One thing I forgot to notice before is that your board offers 16x/4x CF rather than 8x/8x so it's really not ideal.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2012 7:21:49 PM

Of course the effect of lopsided CF on AMD CPUs depends on the game. Newer Intel setups do not seem to suffer the negative effects of that to the same degree, but part of that is low latency of the on die PCI-E controller as well as the fast link to the southbridge that provides the 4x slot.
m
l
March 1, 2012 11:05:00 PM

megamanx00 said:
Of course the effect of lopsided CF on AMD CPUs depends on the game. Newer Intel setups do not seem to suffer the negative effects of that to the same degree, but part of that is low latency of the on die PCI-E controller as well as the fast link to the southbridge that provides the 4x slot.

Just wondering how does that 955 fare with you 5870's
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 2, 2012 3:09:38 AM

Pretty good for the most part. It's certainly faster than a single 5870, though admittedly a single card is more than enough for most of the games I play. I don't get the same results reviewers with an OC i7 get on their 5870s CF, but like I said it's still better than running a single card and the 955 is enough for me right now. I am thinking of going LGA 2011 in the summer though :D 
March 9, 2012 1:45:43 PM

Best answer selected by Tiop.
m
l
!