I5 has slow transer rates?

dev909

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
This has been going on since christmas, and its only now im asking about it:

I have an i5 2500K installed and I was hoping it would be much faster than my old athlon x2 for transer files across folders, zipping/unzipping, and just computing like that. Before, my x2 would transer files at about 10mbs+, and my i5 only does around 200kbs-1.5mbs (if im lucky). Even my brothers old crappy laptop can haul in about 5-6mbs. Why is this happening and is there anyway to fix it?

Might be something else going on with the computer, but if you expect any kind of useful advice it might help by posting the entire specs of your system, but no Transferring files from folder to folder or to another drive barely engages the CPU, if at all.

Now if you're talking about archiving files with winrar, or winzip or something like that, yes that is a CPU workload. And if the speeds are bad, there is something going on.

See here. I'm running this transfer now between my 2 hard drives, my CPU usage hasn't gone above 15 percent in the last 5 minutes.

filetransfer.jpg

On another note, you might try 7z. This is one archiving software that does use multi-core. Not all of them support multi-core. I don't think the default zipping built into Windows7 does, but I'm not 100 percent positive.

This one for sure is mult-core enabled
http://www.7-zip.org/

dev909

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
i5 2500k
16GB vengeance ram
xfx 5770 hd radeon
msi p67a-gd65
640gb hdd....i do not know the rpms of it, it was just stock

But I use winrar as long as I can remember, and it just feels weird how suddenly a new cpu gets weaker speeds

It is odd, but I will say 640GB is a rather oddball number, so I'd assume its an older hard drive (That tends to be the case when you see oddball numbers). My guess is still going to be that using a more modern HDD would resolve the issue, barring any issues with drivers, or malware.

dev909

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Its only 3 years old. I remember before that, I still had quicker speeds than my i5. Also as a side note, I did have to reinstall windows from a BSOD, and since then it also claims my pc does not have a legit version of windows(sigh). Would this be a factor to consider?

TRENDING THREADS