Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade or new? please read and help :/

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2012 4:57:21 AM

So i been trying to figure out exactly what to do for a little while now with my dell inspiron, basically I WANT A GAMING COMPUTER, THAT I CAN PLAY ALL THE GAMES ON HIGH-ULTRA SETTINGS, and not have to worry about it. After all my searching around I have just been back and forth with saving up to build one or upgrading my dell inspiron 570. So far I upgraded to 6 gigs of ram and a new video card. After I went to go buy a new exhaust cooling fan today and it wouldn't fit because my system doesn't have a free 4 prong cord that I could of plugged it into, after that I was like uhhh what do I do :/  Is it honestly worth it to upgrade part by part to get a good gaming rig? or is it better to just save up and build one. I'm kinda a newb to the computer thing, I mean I know a decent amount so far but not about what to do first, or how to go part by part

I know there are a lot of topics about upgrading this but I feel like mines a little different, considering I don't have the cash to upgrade everything right away I gotta go part by part and I don't have the money to go and buy a brand new gaming PC I'd havta save up

More about : upgrade read

April 29, 2012 8:57:19 AM

tell us the specs of your computer
m
l
April 29, 2012 3:11:36 PM

If these are your specs then you have a 300W PSU, AMD 785G chipset, one of these processors: AMD® Sempron, Athlon™ II X2/X3/X4, AMD Phenom™ II X2/X3/X4

Please post your budget and your actual specs CPU, memory, current video, drives, etc.

Assuming large budget, upgrade VIDEO to HD6870 or better, the 300 watt PSU needs to be replaced with something solid at 450w or better. The CPU may be good enough or may need to be replaced.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insp560mt...
m
l
Related resources
April 29, 2012 4:35:33 PM

I don't have a budget like I said, either If I upgrade or buy new I will needs to save up for it.

Dell Inspiron 570
300W power supply
Asus radeon HD 6670
6 gigs ram
And Athlon II 250 processor 3.00GHz
m
l
April 29, 2012 5:27:22 PM

Not a bad system, video is the next thing to upgrade. On the last page this article has a table of video cards organized in tiers. Look for a video card that will be at least three tiers higher than your current 6670. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

As you plan your purchase, plan having about 150W max available for video without upgrading your 300w power supply. Your CPU is low power - Thermal Design Power (TDP): 65W. 150W lets you get some nice cards. To find the power of a video card roughly google the name and TDP. For example, google " hd6850 TDP " without the quotes.

If you go over 150W for video, no problem. You'll need to replace the power supply. A quality 450w to 500w PSU is $50-70. Make sure you get a quality PSU, post for suggestions when you are ready to buy. A bad PSU will make you miserable.
m
l
April 29, 2012 9:17:31 PM

i just upgraded the video card to the 6670, i like it it runs games on high-ultra... but i just want more outa the computer.... if i upgrade do i just get the best power supply, CPU, graphics card, and good fans? i mean nothing else really needs to be touched for gaming right?
m
l
April 29, 2012 10:23:52 PM

"if i upgrade do i just get the best power supply, CPU, graphics card, and good fans? "

Question is: If I spent $300 on parts am I better off with $200 on video and $100 on CPU? Answer, no put all $300 into video card.

Check out the builds for low cost gaming. They put every penny into video.

Decide how much you want to spend. The see what cards are available from the ref above (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...) then see if you need a new power supply. Everything else is secondary. Once your video is great then you can worry about CPU/MB upgrades.
m
l
April 29, 2012 11:59:03 PM

Well I can't put all the money into the video card if it was that easy I woulda done that but I need a better processor and CPU for a better GPU...
m
l
April 30, 2012 1:39:20 AM

michaelxps said:
Well I can't put all the money into the video card if it was that easy I woulda done that but I need a better processor and CPU for a better GPU...

k, good. And when you are done check your frame rates against this build.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-gaming-pc-ove...

m
l
!