How do I set up multiple drive sharing with a Filezilla Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Hey guys, I'm at the end of my rope. I've googled extensively, etc, and I am still lost, and very frusturated. I just can't seem to understand how FTP works. At this point, I am very close - I have set up a filezilla server, and connected to it, and was able to access my files in the main drive (C:/), but at this point the unsolvable problem for me has to do with being able to access multiple drives wirelessly.

Filezilla's FAQ says it has to do with aliases, etc, but when I tried this, my main drive dissappeared and I was only able to access the alias drive. I have no idea now.....this is very confusing for me. Almost all google searches I run end up coming up with instructions on how to access ftp for the purposes of web dev, but that's not what I'm trying to do.

All I wanted to do was back my Android's content up to my computer. From what I understand, FTP is a good way to do this. Let me ask you something....is it possible to upload stuff to my computer's ftp server even without being connected to the same wifi network? That's another confusing thing for me.

I'd really appreciate some help here...I'm an ftp noob, and I'm about to give up...very discouraged and frusturated. Also, if you have suggestions for a better way to do this, let me know. I tried dropbox sync with titanium media sync, but the problem here is it can't take files over 300mb....SUCKS.

thanks

stevezoob_01

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Add the alias like the wiki says from the Client log in as normal then in the Remote Site box put in your alias and hit Enter! ex. My alias is /P2P I type that into the box for Remote Site and the drive shows up as folder in the list of the Home Directory. If you no longer want to see that drive simply change the Remote Site back to / and hit Enter. Took me a while to find enough online and piece it together. Have fun!

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

FileZilla is a little confusing to set up
I will try to explain it.
Ok first you make a root folder, this folder will be empty, you can put it anywhere you want on your computer, in this example I will put it in a folder called FTP on the c drive. so the folder path would be c:\FTP\root
Now add that folder to your user under shared folder in FZ, and make it your home directory. You home directory is what will be open to when you log in to you FTP server.
Ok now we need to add what folder you want to in your FTP to that root folder, in FZ this is where the Aliases come in.
Lets say this folder is calls documents, it is located on the c:\users\username\documents. But we want it in the Root folder You need to add the folder to FZ, Then right click on them and go to Edit Aliases, now we want this folder in the root folder. So we put a path like it is in the root folder. So the path will be "c:\FTP\root\documents" (By the way you may call this folder anything you want, for example instead of documents you could call it "work documents") This way you can change it on the FTP but not mess with anything on your local computer.
To be able to access it from the out side you will need to port forward port 20 and 21.

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Dear Catsrules
I thank you deep from my heart, for quick and the easiest ever explanation and how-to on this matter. I printed your guide and pinned it to the wall, as an example. Live long and prosper!

Status
Not open for further replies.