$200 upgrades for 2007 compaq :/

Cpu, mobo ram and maybe psu under $200 I would probably later on get a gtx 550 ti (:/ ) Maybe run BF3 on high If "possibru"

My pc is a Compaq Sr5123wm. I have Win 7 32 bit but il upgrade to 64 bit

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c01059782&lc=en&product=3443290


I was gonna rage while attempting to sign in with my iPod touch lol it's glitchy
20 answers Last reply
More about upgrades 2007 compaq
  1. Il stick with this CPU and mobo I guess but what about ram and psu for gtx 550ti and a case!!!!!!
  2. Should I stick with my CPU and mobo and get a little more ram, psu and CPU fan lol and attemp over clock for first time and get a nice case
  3. DDR2 RAM is incredibly expensive, so I don't suggest it. You can't overclock that CPU I believe. The easiest is to just get a new CPU/MOBO. Save up some money and buy a new case as well, the airflow on that is pretty abysmal.
  4. I guess il save $150 more for this used gaming pc. I'm 14 and it's difficult to get money lol it has a 5870 and 1000w psu and athlon II X4 620 oced to 3.7GHz my dad dosnt want to get it for me because we "don't" have $ but we do have $ to give to my 30yo sis for her birthday lol (little personal )
  5. guerrero said:
    I guess il save $150 more for this used gaming pc. I'm 14 and it's difficult to get money lol it has a 5870 and 1000w psu and athlon II X4 620 oced to 3.7GHz my dad dosnt want to get it for me because we "don't" have $ but we do have $ to give to my 30yo sis for her birthday lol (little personal )


    just save up to $500 and you can get a decent tower.
  6. akamrcrack said:
    just save up to $500 and you can get a decent tower.



    What do you mean? Like a new computer it case?
  7. guerrero said:
    What do you mean? Like a new computer it case?


    I mean case/cpu/mobo/gpu/psu/ram/hdd/dvd burner
  8. Alternative thoughts,

    1. for $150 you can stick an HD7770 in your current system without changing a thing. If you are still on the stock integrated graphics you will be stunned by how much better the system performs. 7770 is very low power (80w TDP) and will work with your current 250w PSU. You current CPU (AMD 4000+) can game.
    2. Stay with 32 bit windows. Save the $100. Win 8 is coming soon.
    3. Get a 3-5 hour/week job somewhere. Shock the old man. Try the Library. Minimum wage, $20/week but shows you care about money. Bet you have the system you want in a year or two from your own $$ if you hoard them or from your dad.
    4. If your dad sending $$ to your 30 year old sister then there may be trouble somewhere. (Or your dad maybe jsut didn't find the right gift) Support your dad, tell him he's doing good.
  9. That 4000+ and a 7770 oughta be able to play most newer games, like BF3, on medium. It's not going to floor you with quality but it's capability is there and far beyond what you're used to.

    Ask around, perhaps a friend has upgraded recently and has some spare DDR2 laying around you can get for $20. You want a minimum of 4GB, but I wouldn't buy brand new.... it's too pricey.

    Even after upgrading to 4GB of RAM I couldn't justify jumping to 64-bit anything. The difference is negligible and you won't notice any performance difference on an older system like that because you happened to free up 512mb of RAM from the onboard video. Stick with 32-bit, save yourself the 2-hour reformatting/reinstalling headache.
  10. nbelote said:
    That 4000+ and a 7770 oughta be able to play most newer games, like BF3, on medium. It's not going to floor you with quality but it's capability is there and far beyond what you're used to.

    Ask around, perhaps a friend has upgraded recently and has some spare DDR2 laying around you can get for $20. You want a minimum of 4GB, but I wouldn't buy brand new.... it's too pricey.

    Even after upgrading to 4GB of RAM I couldn't justify jumping to 64-bit anything. The difference is negligible and you won't notice any performance difference on an older system like that because you happened to free up 512mb of RAM from the onboard video. Stick with 32-bit, save yourself the 2-hour reformatting/reinstalling headache.


    Il maybe check on Craigslist for some DDR2 ram (i have noticed that its pricey) and Do you think I will be able to run BF3 on high 30+ fps?
  11. Not a chance, unfortunately, not without a better CPU.
  12. If you end up getting 1GB of DDR2 vs. 2GB you'll actually be getting roughly teh same thing. Your 32bit win will only see 3.2 GB of memory. No problem having 4GB physical, but only 3.2 will be used.
  13. nbelote said:
    Not a chance, unfortunately, not without a better CPU.



    Yeah im looking for AM2 cpu's that "would" give "better" performance then this one
  14. guerrero said:
    Yeah im looking for AM2 cpu's that "would" give "better" performance then this one


    Check the Hp/compaq web site to see the strongest CPU you can add. Make sure you update the BIOS before you switch CPUs, the BIOS you have may not support the CPU you are adding.

    Last time I looked at prices for upgrading AM2 MB CPUs the upgrade made no sense vs. getting a new MB/CPU/Memory. (I have some 500+and 5200+ systems running as media servers. They used to be gaming systems then got switched out.) Maybe you will find a good deal. Do not drop $80 into a CPU that will not really show an improvement.
  15. tsnor said:
    Check the Hp/compaq web site to see the strongest CPU you can add. Make sure you update the BIOS before you switch CPUs, the BIOS you have may not support the CPU you are adding.

    Last time I looked at prices for upgrading AM2 MB CPUs the upgrade made no sense vs. getting a new MB/CPU/Memory. (I have some 500+and 5200+ systems running as media servers. They used to be gaming systems then got switched out.) Maybe you will find a good deal. Do not drop $80 into a CPU that will not really show an improvement.



    This is what I found Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)

    Athlon 64 less than 4000+

    Sempron less than 3800+


    and I found this CPU

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0016P7GSM/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&storeAttribute=pc&submit.see-all-buying-options=see-all-buying-options&condition=used
  16. guerrero said:
    This is what I found Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)

    Athlon 64 less than 4000+

    Sempron less than 3800+


    and I found this CPU

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0016P7GSM/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&storeAttribute=pc&submit.see-all-buying-options=see-all-buying-options&condition=used


    The Amazon CPU is a "Athlon 64 X2 4400+" and you have currently a "4000+" ? That's not a noticeable difference. Look for 5600+ CPUs. That where you jump to $80 for cpus and it doesn't make sense. 5200+ is cheaper, but you're getting too close to what you already have to make the upgrade make sense.

    When you do find a CPU you want to try, get some ARTIC SILVER and follow the instructions when you put on the heatsink. That era processor did not protect itself against frying with the heatsink off, and it will fry in a few seconds. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100017
  17. Aside AMD 64 4000+ vs. AMD X2 4400+. The 4000+ has one fast core. The 4400+ has two slower cores that together are slightly faster than the 4000+ for workloads that can use more than one core.
  18. 5200+ $40

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Athlon-64-X2-2-6GHz-5200-CPU-ADA5200IAA6CS-/110856579250?pt=CPUs&hash=item19cf9128b2#ht_1435wt_1185


    Fairly cheap DDR2 ram on Ebay but im not sure what are the specs for my current "rams"
  19. My ram specs are DDR2-SDRAM PC2-5300 (333MHz)
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Battlefield Compaq Systems Product