Will AMD Radeon 6850 bottleneck my computer...

Will the AMD Radeon 6850 Saphire bottleneck my computer? A friend is offering to sell me an unused card for $100 and I know it's a little more expensive then that so I was thinking about it...

System:
* AMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual-Core Processor (2.8 GHz, 2MB Cache, 4000 MHz System Bus)
* 3GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM memory (1x1024MB and 1x2048MB) (expandable to 4GB)
* 500GB Serial ATA hard drive
* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with 256MB integrated shared graphics memory. Up to 1407MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows 7

Am I going to blow up my computer putting this card into it?
13 answers Last reply
More about will radeon 6850 bottleneck computer
  1. Its will be a big improvement for your gaming experience. What power supply do you have ?
  2. Just bought a new corsair 550w the other day.
  3. No problem as long as your PSU has the extra PCIE connectors. Might not be able to use 100% of the graphics speed - but it will work fine and be much faster for games.
  4. awolfe63 said:
    No problem as long as your PSU has the extra PCIE connectors. Might not be able to use 100% of the graphics speed - but it will work fine and be much faster for games.

It does have the PCI-E connectors and actually, it's a 600W PSU if that makes any kind of difference. I actually got the card in the computer right now and it seems to be running pretty sweet. We shall see!

Thanks!
  5. So your Corsair 550w is ACTUALLY a 600w psu? Interesting.
  6. I run a 6850 off an Antec 400w. You'll be fine
  7. Keep in mind your CPU bottleneck it in more CPU intensive games.
  8. buy it its a good pair for your cpu.
  9. I don't think you'll see any bottlenecking, it's a good match for your cpu.
  10. Do you for sure know you have pcie slots? Sometimes those cheaper boards only have PCI and a x4 pcie slot.
  11. I'm still trying to figure out how a Corsair 550 can be actually 600w.

The problem with being a liar, is you have to remember your lies.
  12. geekapproved said:
    I'm still trying to figure out how a Corsair 550 can be actually 600w.

The problem with being a liar, is you have to remember your lies.

?

I made a mistake when I wrote down what I bought?
  13. Well if its working well now you know you're answer. Like someone else said your motherboard may just be a x4 slot which would cause a bottleneck but im assuming its a x16 pcie slot since you said it was working well. Enjoy your new GPU! ( I love my 6850)
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Bottleneck AMD Computer Graphics