CPU for Photo editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldberry

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Want to upgrade my older Dell and am looking to get a build done.

Most use of the PC will be surfing and some photo editing no gaming, I do open lots of large picture files but not sure how much cpu they would use. Mainly colour and lighting correction of raw and jpg's. Need fairly good colour reproduction as most photos are of my wife's artwork.

Looking down the road a bit so want a build that will not be outdated quickly.

From my reading I was leaning towards either i5 3450 or the i5 3570K. Would either of these be a good choice? Is an i5 overkill for my requirements is their an i3 that I could look at. I like my PC to run quiet and reasonably cool so was trying to avoid a GPU and go with a good integrated card.

Totally open to advise and suggestions. No real budget could spend $7-800 but prefer to keep cost reasonable need a new laptop soon.

Solution
i5 3570K is much better choice, since it can be overclocked : )

I am a photographer/videographer myself.

With your budget, its possible to get all.

goldberry

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

Currently Have Photoshop Lightroom, DPP (Canon's software) & FS viewer for the photo editing. The usual Office programs and lots of stuff I seldom use.

can you check if photoshop lightroom can use 'gpu acceleration' and if it does you need to consider how important that extra speed is to you?

if you are doing 100's of edits per day, or bulk edits then perhaps you do, if you are doing this in an hour of an evening and only doing 10's of edits then perhaps you do, but less than that or in a more relaxed fashion maybe not.

goldberry

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

No it doesn't and for what I do if my old Dell dual core 1.6ghz is passable but slow for what I do I imagine anything from an i3 up will be a huge improvement. Unless I can save quite a bit say $100. its just better IMO to go with i5 probably. The key being which CPU will be best. I am not techie but I read that the 3570K has the best integrated graphics

It does have the best i graphics, but thats mainly for 3d rendering speed, not anything you'll notice. The difference in speed between the quads is minimal, but then so is the cost. I'd go for the 3570k, you'll get the quad cores, you'll get the best igpu (even if you don't use it), and you get the fastest clock speed for not much more than the slowest i5. I would stay away from a dual core, even if its just for responsiveness reasons. If you are looking to save any components from your current build, make sure that the mobo you buy has IDE if you are intending you use your current HDD's (assuming they are ide of course), as most only have sata.

personally i'd go for a low-mid range atx mobo (not matx, so you have 4 ram slots), reuse your case, get a new psu (just in case), new HDD (x2, one from OS one for Data/backup of images, store each image on two HDD's), new OS (64bit win7), 2x4GB of ram (maybe 16GB as its cheap), and the 3570K.

goldberry

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

Sounds ideal. I am planning on paying NCIX her $50.00 and let them build and set Win, I would sooner let someone else deal with drivers etc and all the updates.

As my existing Computer will stay as is and used as a back up I will probably just go with one drive and network all my back up images to the old company in case something went wrong. Any suggestions on what mobo to pair the 3570K with. Any point in getting a case with some USB3.0 on? Is 3.0 used with anything.

Here's what I had been thinking. I picked that mobo because NCIX here have it bundled with the 3570k for $349.99 with a $20 mail in rebate.

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/ekhp

Status
Not open for further replies.