Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need Help. SLI MSI NGTX560-TI Twin Frozr or 1 $400 GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2012 5:30:21 PM

Hey all,

Need some help figuring out what do as i'm having trouble playing skyrim on ultra and I should be getting BF3 in in the mail soon. So i'm either going SLI 560-TI or selling my single 560-TI and purchasing one single $400 GPU.

My PC:
i7-2600k(overclocked to 4.4)
Antec Kuhler H20 620
ASROCK Z68 Ext4 Gen3 MoBo
MSI GTX560-TI Twin Frozr 2
8GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600
ThermaltakeTR2 RX750W PSU
WD 2.0TB HDD

What would be the best thing to do? I don't even know what card to look at if I decide to sell my 560-TI!
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2012 5:48:19 PM

Wait for kepler. u can play BF3 on a 560 ti for now fine. Then when kepler comes out get a 400$ card. I was in your same situation a month ago. I winded up SLI'ing my 560 ti. But i will be getting a kepler and put one of the old 560 ti's in a home theater PC. and have the other 560 ti as a spare or maybe Physx if i even got a bigger power supply
Score
February 21, 2012 6:16:26 PM

The problem with me is impatience lol. I got myself in this situation because of it.
Score
Related resources
February 21, 2012 6:39:26 PM

Also, my screen res is 1080p on my samsung tv.
Score
February 21, 2012 6:52:35 PM

I keep reading about the complications that arise from SLI, but at no point yet have I ready what those complications are. Can you help me understand?
Score
February 21, 2012 8:12:44 PM

Thanks. I'll note the problems but I think I can deal with it. Seems like less hassle to just spend another $200 to do SLI and have better performance than a single 580(per toms article). Talking about performance, would my SLI GTX560-ti TF2's really be better performers than a single 580? I've read so much about people taking a single GPU over SLI/CF that it makes me wonder! I mean if you ae two cards at a better price and better performance, than it's worth it right?
Score

Best solution

a c 271 U Graphics card
February 21, 2012 8:21:56 PM

beaveroner said:
Thanks. I'll note the problems but I think I can deal with it. Seems like less hassle to just spend another $200 to do SLI and have better performance than a single 580(per toms article). Talking about performance, would my SLI GTX560-ti TF2's really be better performers than a single 580? I've read so much about people taking a single GPU over SLI/CF that it makes me wonder! I mean if you ae two cards at a better price and better performance, than it's worth it right?

A while back I had the chance to test this out for myself when a customer wanted a rig near on identical to mine but with a single GTX580 instead of SLi'd GTX560Ti's and after building that rig I was able to bench them together which is why I know that the SLi'd 560's are the faster option, the only game that I have seen in the last few years that didn't support SLi from the get go is Alan Wake so again I would argue that it's not a case of "lots of games don't support SLi" as this is the first one that I'm aware of in a long time that hasn't.
February 21, 2012 11:07:11 PM

So I was able to find a matching GTX560-TI TF2 for $180 on EBAY. I've also searched for GPU's that would cost me $400 ou the door. Not seeing much other than 570, and it doesn't make much sense to do that since SLI 560-ti out perform even a 580.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2012 11:37:38 PM

Mousemonkey said:
A while back I had the chance to test this out for myself when a customer wanted a rig near on identical to mine but with a single GTX580 instead of SLi'd GTX560Ti's and after building that rig I was able to bench them together which is why I know that the SLi'd 560's are the faster option, the only game that I have seen in the last few years that didn't support SLi from the get go is Alan Wake so again I would argue that it's not a case of "lots of games don't support SLi" as this is the first one that I'm aware of in a long time that hasn't.

Second this. Love my 560 Ti's in SLI. I can run Ultra everything with 16x AA and still get 60+ fps. Reference coolers are indeed noisy, but there are solutions to that problem (aftermarket coolers and custom coolers from vendors such as MSI). Other than heat, I've had no issues with SLI that would ever prevent me from buying another SLI setup.

Also, add StarCraft II to the list of lame-o-games that didn't support SLI initially
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 21, 2012 11:44:22 PM

87ninefiveone said:
Second this. Love my 560 Ti's in SLI. I can run Ultra everything with 16x AA and still get 60+ fps. Reference coolers are indeed noisy, but there are solutions to that problem (aftermarket coolers and custom coolers from vendors such as MSI). Other than heat, I've had no issues with SLI that would ever prevent me from buying another SLI setup.

Also, add StarCraft II to the list of lame-o-games that didn't support SLI initially

Well Alan Wake is an AMD title so it's not too surprising that SLi has been nobbled! [:mousemonkey]
Dunno about SCII though.
Score
a c 230 U Graphics card
February 22, 2012 12:26:15 AM

Quote:
I keep reading about the complications that arise from SLI, but at no point yet have I ready what those complications are. Can you help me understand?

It's almost like one of those my cousin has a friend who knows someone who lived next door to someone who had an issue kinda things ..... I see lotsa people who read about micro stuttering but few (with > $200 cards) who say "this is what I saw on my screen and it bothered me because......".

Yes there are issues with bottom market cards in SLI and CF....and there are issues with bottom -> mid market cards in CF (See THG micro stuttering article). And it's a "given" that ya gonna wait little while longer for driver updates for CF when new games go out because of the way the Catalyst drivers are constructed. See any Guru3D CF review.

Yes, there's more heat and a bit more noise......but with proper system design, these are a non issue. See below:

I have built seven SLI boxes since November using twin 900MHz 560 Ti's. Each one of them was overclocked to over 1000 Mhz.....some I tweaked back a bit because I didn't trust the user to keep on top of things but all were stable at the OC. None of the users (all neighborhood acquaintances of my sons) has reported any complication or issues with their builds. I did one twin 6870 build and have heard no lasting issues about that build either.

I'll echo MouseMonkey....have two boxes at home....

1. Son No. 2 - EVGA Reference GTX 580 w/ Dell 24" IPS Monitor

2. Son No. 3 - Twin Asus TOP (900MHz) 560 Ti's w/ Asus 23.6" 120Hz monitor .... GFX cards originally OC'd to 1020 Hz, dropped to 980 Mhz for additional cooling (<80C) as plenty of fps available in all games.

The twin 560's are in an Antec DF-85 which sits right next to the monitor. All case fans are on lowest setting. All temps are < 80C. You can not hear any noise coming outta that case. Squeeze that all in an Antec 300 and yes, heat and noise will eb an issue.

The 560's toast the 580 by 40 % and we have yet to observe any of these purported "complications". The only issue I have seen is when BF3 Demo came out SLI could not be enabled.....with each driver release it improved and after BF3's retail release single player does just fine.....gotta drop from ultra to high in multi player but I think this has as much to do with CPU limitations as anything else.

Batman Arkham City on the twin 560 Ti's in 3D w/ nVidia glasses on the 120Hz monitor was a real ..... if ya excuse the pun ...... "eye opener". I expected little and was surprised out how much I was impressed by the visual experience.

I was shocked by the above where guy was trading twin 560 Ti's (@ 862 fps in Guru3D's game test suite) to 603 fps w/ a 7970.....a 30% performance hit while paying more money, I certainly can't understand that trade in.
Score
February 22, 2012 1:10:17 AM

Did I start something I shouldn't have......
Score
February 22, 2012 1:41:25 AM

Thank you guys for all the help! I'm going to go with what I think is the best option, buying another 560-TI. This should do the job for atleast another tax season or two.
Score
February 22, 2012 1:42:34 AM

Best answer selected by beaveroner.
Score
!