Sign in with
Your question

I need help removing this...

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2012 8:13:37 AM

Hello THG. I have decided to take out one of the hard drive cages from my Corsair 500R but have run into a problem. Even after removing all the screws securing the cage in place, I can't seem to take the cage out. It won't budge at all. What should I do? Is there a guide out there for removing the Hard Drive Cages from the 500R? Thanks!

EDIT: Doesn't anyone know? I really want to remove the hard drive cage so I can optimize my airflow!

More about : removing

April 29, 2012 9:13:15 AM

It has been one hour. 8 other topics have been replied to but mine. How come whenever I ask a question, no one answers???
m
l
Related resources
April 29, 2012 9:49:43 AM

I didn't go that far, but I did try to use a screwdriver to budge the screw holes.
m
l
April 29, 2012 9:59:04 AM

the second link states a push/pull method to remove the cage....
m
l
April 29, 2012 11:27:13 AM

Please be patient for answers Azeem,
remember that this forum isn't a call centre with professionals on call 24-7, its populaced by normal people like you who maybe check in for ten minutes at a time :) 
If you have definitely removed all the rivets/screws then yes a bit of wiggling seems in order,
but at least that second link shows both cages in and out of the cage, bear with it and don't be afraid to use a little muscle to get them out :) 
Moto
m
l
April 29, 2012 12:07:34 PM

also, azeem a word of advice. getting a topid replied to quickly relies mainly on three things. 1. title is everything, some titles that ask the same thing will get a lot more interest
2. time of posting, sometimes the majority of the people that look at like, every thread on teh forums, just arent online, so there is less people that can post on your threads.
3. your question, some stuff, very few people kno wthe answer to anyway,

and also, hard drive cages are DIFFERENT on pretty much all cases, i had a little hp case that it swiveled out when you unscrewed it and it took me 10 minuted just to figure out i had to simply rip it out (after removing the screws ofc) and other cases ust have one little screw to take out. yours probably just has a screw or two and then you just slide it out in whatever direction it goes.
m
l
April 29, 2012 2:07:07 PM

Because starting a topic with a line like "I need help removing this" is a terrible way to go about asking for help. Start your topic with a line that is short and direct to the point. The other thing, your question is something that cannot immediately be answered by most people. First you have to run across someone who has your type of case, and who has needed to remove the HDD cage. And third, you are the one sitting right in front of the machine with the cage in place, why cannot YOU figure out what is holding it in? Can you not enlist the help of a friend who can also sit there with the thing right in front of you and figure it out? This isn't rocket science. Persistence my friend!
m
l
April 29, 2012 7:33:29 PM

^ well said. but still usually there is one screw on the side of the cage and then a clip/rail that holds the other side in, remove the screw and pull either back towards the back of the case, or towards you, or if it is on a swivel, it may be more complicated.
m
l
April 29, 2012 8:28:50 PM

At night, I tend to get impatient. I should have asked in the afternoon. :p 

I just gave up on trying to remove it. 2 hours and it didn't budge at all.
m
l
April 29, 2012 11:26:50 PM

did u undo any screws? one may have been on the far side, also you may have needed to take out the top 5.25" tray as well and then detach the lower one. maybe post a pic of ur case?
m
l
April 29, 2012 11:33:06 PM

i looked at closeups of the case, there is two thumb screws between each 3.5" bay set, undo these, and pull teh cage back toward the back end of the case, where the power supply is, there may be two more on the opposite side of the cage, in which case you would need to remove the right side panel as well, there should be a small hole for a screw driver over the screws on the otrher side (if there is any i couldnt see) if there is, remove those too. then pull either towards the back of the case or towards you, the left side.
m
l
June 10, 2012 5:43:55 AM

azeem40 said:
Hello THG. I have decided to take out one of the hard drive cages from my Corsair 500R but have run into a problem. Even after removing all the screws securing the cage in place, I can't seem to take the cage out. It won't budge at all. What should I do? Is there a guide out there for removing the Hard Drive Cages from the 500R? Thanks!

EDIT: Doesn't anyone know? I really want to remove the hard drive cage so I can optimize my airflow!

Just got the case yesterday and was having the same problem with the bays. Removed the two thumb screws from the one side of the bracket, and I couldn't remove the bays. Just decided to check the other side of the case and found that each bay has it's own thumb screw to remove on the opposing side. Removed the screw, and the cage slid out.
m
l
June 10, 2012 5:54:44 AM

willyj73 said:
Just got the case yesterday and was having the same problem with the bays. Removed the two thumb screws from the one side of the bracket, and I couldn't remove the bays. Just decided to check the other side of the case and found that each bay has it's own thumb screw to remove on the opposing side. Removed the screw, and the cage slid out.

You should tell him how to make the case fans work too
m
l
June 10, 2012 6:03:00 AM

Outlander_04 said:
You should tell him how to make the case fans work too

Well, it's my first build and I don't have everything up and running yet, but I'm assuming you just plug them into the mobo. And plug the Molex(?) connector from the case to a molex on the PSU. Also, case has a male attatchment for another case fan. I believe that this is so you can use the fan control from the case on another fan of your choice.
m
l
June 10, 2012 6:19:44 AM

Most case fans are set up to plug directly in to a molex on the psu . There are connectors on some mb's and some of those are connectors that let the fan change speed [if its a pwm fan ] when things get a bit hotter .
But Ive never found a reason to get more complicated than using the molex connectors
m
l
June 10, 2012 6:50:10 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Most case fans are set up to plug directly in to a molex on the psu . There are connectors on some mb's and some of those are connectors that let the fan change speed [if its a pwm fan ] when things get a bit hotter .
But Ive never found a reason to get more complicated than using the molex connectors

The 500R has two 120mm case fans in front which--I believe--are conrolled by a fan speed controller built into the case. And, I'm assuming the molex supplies the power to these. Also has a three pin male connector which I believe allows the user to attatch one more fan to be controlled from the case.
m
l
June 10, 2012 11:10:11 PM

I dont know the details of the 500R but that all seems reasonable

And as a bonus Azeem now knows how to take the hard drive cage out of his computer
m
l
!