Sign in with
Your question

2K gaming build/first time build frustrations

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2012 8:30:26 AM

OK. I hope no one here is from any of my other boards or they're bound to be aggrevated with me at this point. Anyway, I'm trying to build a PC for 2K here, not sure if I should include the OS in that price or not.

So here's what I've got so far:

Purchase Date: Up in the air.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Certain about this. No need to spend more or less, unless I need more power to run Fraps while gaming (I doubt that). Intel warranties for boxed processors are three years right? No need to extend that. Apparently I also get a free copy of Rage too, which makes me feel like I'm saving cash since I want that game anyway.

CASE: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's a good case. I like it. But if I'm going to use it I suppose I need a good Idea of what's going into it.

PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3-US 1200W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Probably don't need this wattage. Even if I did I'd need a dedicated circuit, which I do not have anywhere in this house apparently. I'm just wondering what kind of power I'll need for SLI, if I ever use it, but it also depends on the card I guess. 1000W models tend to be crappy in general though.

GPU: Well I'd like to have a 7970. I'll Probably end up with a 7870 or 580 though.
Er... I was decided on this before but some new ones were released so now it's up in the air again... I want to pay Skyrim, A LOT, except I'll probably be using allot of mods which add more demands on the GPU, and there are other more demanding games I'd play, Metal Gear Rising looks like it will be demanding. The 7970 is bit cheaper than the 680 and benchmarks show it performing mostly better on just about every game I want to play, but reviews for all of them have been sub-par, lots of coil-whine issues. Still I'm not sure if I can afford either if I can't budget other parts better. Quality control and prices will hopefully get better within short-order.

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Never a big deal as I've been told, so long as I'm at least using 1600DDR3 I'll be fine... I think. It will change depending on the motherboard anyway. Speaking of which...

MOBO: I HAVE NO IDEA!!! Every time I try to figure this out it's one step forward and two steps back! I need something that will do what I need it to do without too much effort and will not break real easy, preferably not expensive or fancy in any way as those break REAL easy. Still SLI would be nice.

SSD: Something that's solid and won't fail. All I need is 30GB or so for the OS but I also want space enough for family photos and video storage, y'know the important stuff.

HDD: 1TB no less I'm afraid. I need space for those insanely huge FRAPS video files. Probably just a typical WD Caviar Black.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, anything outside of the tower itself.

Overclocking: I have zero experience so no. I will not even think about it until after warranty ends.

SLI or Crossfire: As I said it "would be nice" for later that is. But not a necessity.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, I'd rather keep my order on the same site.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (my TV)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video editing, home entertainment, possible 3D modeling.

Additional comments: I can go above 2K. I REALLY, REALLY DO NOT WANT TO! But I can. What's really important on these parts is the warranty. Not just the service plans but actual experience dealing with them would help, as I have shoddy luck and chances are SOMETHING will be DOA. Oh yeah, it's my first time building too SO BARE WITH ME HERE. :??: 
April 29, 2012 1:52:19 PM

VicVegas said:
OK. I hope no one here is from any of my other boards or they're bound to be aggrevated with me at this point. Anyway, I'm trying to build a PC for 2K here, not sure if I should include the OS in that price or not.

So here's what I've got so far:

Purchase Date: Up in the air.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Certain about this. No need to spend more or less, unless I need more power to run Fraps while gaming (I doubt that). Intel warranties for boxed processors are three years right? No need to extend that. Apparently I also get a free copy of Rage too, which makes me feel like I'm saving cash since I want that game anyway.

CASE: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's a good case. I like it. But if I'm going to use it I suppose I need a good Idea of what's going into it.

PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3-US 1200W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Probably don't need this wattage. Even if I did I'd need a dedicated circuit, which I do not have anywhere in this house apparently. I'm just wondering what kind of power I'll need for SLI, if I ever use it, but it also depends on the card I guess. 1000W models tend to be crappy in general though.

GPU: Well I'd like to have a 7970. I'll Probably end up with a 7870 or 580 though.
Er... I was decided on this before but some new ones were released so now it's up in the air again... I want to pay Skyrim, A LOT, except I'll probably be using allot of mods which add more demands on the GPU, and there are other more demanding games I'd play, Metal Gear Rising looks like it will be demanding. The 7970 is bit cheaper than the 680 and benchmarks show it performing mostly better on just about every game I want to play, but reviews for all of them have been sub-par, lots of coil-whine issues. Still I'm not sure if I can afford either if I can't budget other parts better. Quality control and prices will hopefully get better within short-order.

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Never a big deal as I've been told, so long as I'm at least using 1600DDR3 I'll be fine... I think. It will change depending on the motherboard anyway. Speaking of which...

MOBO: I HAVE NO IDEA!!! Every time I try to figure this out it's one step forward and two steps back! I need something that will do what I need it to do without too much effort and will not break real easy, preferably not expensive or fancy in any way as those break REAL easy. Still SLI would be nice.

SSD: Something that's solid and won't fail. All I need is 30GB or so for the OS but I also want space enough for family photos and video storage, y'know the important stuff.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, I'd rather keep my order on the same site.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video editing, home entertainment, possible 3D modeling.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5GHz ($309.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 CAS9 1.5V BLS2KIT4G3D1339DS1S00 ($39.96 @ B&H)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB 2.5" ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB ($449.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair AX 850W ($175.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1605.89
Total (on Newegg): $1658.91
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-04-29 09:42 EDT-0400)

The only difference between the i7-2600K and the i7-2700K is a 100mhz increase in frequency, which is insignificant, only if the price difference is insignificant should you go for the 2700K.

For dual cards you rarely need more than 850W.
1000W models don't tend to be crappy... there are loads of really good class leading 1000W units that I can think of.

The Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold series generally has very high ripple and noise, but still in spec on the 12V and 5V rails on full load.
Corsair are always praised for their support, so that adds up to two reasons to change the PSU.

That RAM is overpriced (spending more than $50 on 8GB of DDR3 RAM seems wrong to me) and Corsair have recently been criticised for their lack of reliability on their RAM. Tall heatspreaders are not useful on DDR3 RAM these days and just interfere with aftermarket CPU coolers, if you ever decide to install one, so multiple reasons to change that.
If you are worried about warranties you should also be aware that Intel might not honour their warranty if they find out that you have 'overclocked' your RAM above 1066/1333MHz when using a Sandy Bridge CPU.
For video editing and 3D modeling you might consider going up to 16GB if you have money left in the budget.

Intel spent so long testing their Sandforce based 520 series SSDs that they came out many months after other Sandforce based SSDs from other brands.
m
l
April 30, 2012 8:04:49 AM

CPU: Price difference is 15 bucks on newegg. That's a hole lot of "do not care". But on Best buy it's cheaper either way. Maybe I'll try saving a few bucks, but I'd still rather get it all at the same place. Then again I really hate the hole "mail in rebate" thing...

PSU: I have corsair in my current PC and prefer to use them. But would you recommend a Rosewill? It's actually cheaper than Corsair's 850W. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Rosewill's warranty page isn't wery specific though.

RAM: Okay I admit the RAM was stupid. I never pay much mind of the cheapest part either way. Still, 1333MHz? Eh probably won't make a difference.

SSD: If cost actually means quality, I'm game.

GPU: Is anyone aware as to whether problems I've been reading about the 7970s are hardware or driver issues? Also, I know little of Powercolor, their warranties are only 2 years which is a little bothersome.

I will not overclock. Not until all my warranties are up.
m
l
!