With a x4x16 GPU slot motherboard should i get one high gpu or 2 mediu

bcr1231

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
hey guys i have a situation

I have a motherboard with x4x16 gpu slots. it is crossfire compatable.

I was wondering what would be the cheapest way to run eyeinfinity in games such as wow, swtor etc at at least medium settings.

right now i have a gts 450

should i just get one high end 3 vga output card or should i get two medium cards and go crossfire but keep in mind its 16x4x which probally will lead to less power for the second card

also when i get my video card/s i will most likly be buying either the 27 inch ranged tvs or the 24 inch monitors depending on price drops

thank you in advance for any advice

G

i am not sure that x4 slot would not be over saturated.
i did find an article with a single card solution using an adapter.
http://www.overclock.net/t/712021/mals-eyefinity-project-info-pics-vids-using-passive-dp-to-vga-adapter
though its almost two years old (4/14/10) it may help.
quote:
So what's this costing?
I picked up three X233H Acer LCD's for $150 each, so $450. (Though I had them already, as I do a lot of productivity work.)
I picked up a Saphire HD5850 for $280.
I picked up an HP DP to VGA adapter for $30.
Initial Eyefinity Investment Cost: $760

You paid $280 for a 5850......?? Wow I would have sold you mine for $150 w/lifetime warranty. lol

How exactly does your 5850 run with a 550ti?

bcr1231

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
ok so could i use my gts 450 (which has 2 dvi slots and one mini hd) and just buy an adapter for the mini hd slot and ill use the nvida 3d surround or is that not possible?

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
First off if you want three monitors your stuck with nvidia SLI unless you run an AMD card since the vast majority of nvida cards can't drive three monitors (exceptions are rare but do exist). i.e. there might be three outputs on your GTS 450 but it's limited to two of them being active at a time. So, given your motherboard limitations it seems the smart buy is single high end AMD Radeon card.

G

it doesn't run with a 550 ti unless i wanna waste it for physX :p

that was a quote from a two year old thread:
"though its almost two years old (4/14/10) it may help.
quote:"

sorry if my formatting was confusing you.

G

full review including eyeinfinity benchmarks:
http://www.techwarelabs.com/sapphire-radeon-hd-6970-2gb-gddr5-dual-fan/