Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading Old Rig

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2012 9:23:15 AM

My computer slows when running multiple programs/tabs. Video is sometimes choppy too. Would this upgrade do the trick? http://oi46.tinypic.com/1zptuf6.jpg

More about : upgrading rig

April 29, 2012 9:29:15 AM

From what I saw, those upgrade isn't good at all.. you could only surf and play really old games and that's mostly it.. best if you go with a faster computer for $300...
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
April 29, 2012 9:31:26 AM

A computer with an A6 3650
+ that motherboard
+ 2 x2 gig of 1600 MHz DDR3 would be a solid improvement

Your main issue with your current pc is RAM/ memory . You have 1 gig installed . If you can find a 2 x1 gig kit of DDR2 cheaply that will cure the lagging problem you are having
m
l
Related resources
April 29, 2012 9:36:23 AM

I forgot to mention I don't need a gaming rig. Just run basic programs simultaneously like Word, Firefox, Excel, & Adobe Reader, etc.

Quote:
Your main issue with your current pc is RAM/ memory . You have 1 gig installed . If you can find a 2 x1 gig kit of DDR2 cheaply that will cure the lagging problem you are having

Ah, ok. What about the gpu? Isn't it too hot? Will video still be choppy with new ram? Also, you don't think I should just upgrade the mobo to get ddr3 ram? Is there a big difference between ddr3 and ddr2? Would the newer cpu make a difference for what I'm doing?

Thank you both for your help.
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
April 29, 2012 10:04:02 AM

Upgrading cpu/mb/ram is a better option . It also costs more which is why I mentioned the other option .
DDR2 vs DDR3 makes no speed difference to a computer , but having 4 gig instead of 1 certainly will .
And so will having a quad core processor which will multitask much better
m
l
April 29, 2012 11:03:25 AM

Okay. You think these components' prices will go down much in another year? You think I might be able to sell my old mobo, etc. on ebay for much anything?
m
l
!