Mini ITX build CM elite 120 or Silverstone SG05

I am planning a new budget mini itx build. Asus h77 board, i3-2105, gtx 660ti or HD 7950. I am wanting to keep the price down and have narrowed my case options to the Cooler Master elite 120 with a Corsair CX600 PSU or Silverston SG05BB-450 which comes with a 450W PSU. Price wise these are almost identical I like the fact that I can fit a couple 3.5in. HDDs in the CM Elite but after reading the Anandtech review I am a little hesitant. My main concern is keeping my temps down. I have seen plenty of builds with the SG05, I don't like the slim drive as I already have a 5.25 BD drive.

Anyway enough rambling... Anyone have experience with either case? Which is the better choice to keep a i3 cpu and 660ti or 7950 cool?
2 answers Last reply
More about mini build elite silverstone sg05
  1. anyone out there with a Cooler Mater Elite 120??
  2. scotthulbs said:
    I am planning a new budget mini itx build. Asus h77 board, i3-2105, gtx 660ti or HD 7950. I am wanting to keep the price down and have narrowed my case options to the Cooler Master elite 120 with a Corsair CX600 PSU or Silverston SG05BB-450 which comes with a 450W PSU. Price wise these are almost identical I like the fact that I can fit a couple 3.5in. HDDs in the CM Elite but after reading the Anandtech review I am a little hesitant. My main concern is keeping my temps down. I have seen plenty of builds with the SG05, I don't like the slim drive as I already have a 5.25 BD drive.

Anyway enough rambling... Anyone have experience with either case? Which is the better choice to keep a i3 cpu and 660ti or 7950 cool?

- sg05 is much smaller than elite120.
    - most important, sg05 is 27cm long, and 40cm long for elite120. from that dimensions, you'll know what kind of graphic card that will fit in both case.
    hd6870 is the max length for sg05 imho.

- sg05 use sfx psu, and elite120 use atx psu. sg05 can fit atx psu if you mod it.

- sg05 use slim odd, elite120 use normal odd.
    - sg05 can only fit 2hdd (2.5 or 3.5), elite 120 hdd cage can accept 3 hdd 3.5" OR 6 ssd (2.5"). From its 5.25" you can buy vantec ez swap f4, it converts 1x5.25" into 4 ssd's.

both cases cpu temps arent great.
    both cases using positive airflow.
    both cases need a good cpu cooler.
    both cases have cpu coolers height restriction due to its psu location.

you can mod both case to use watercooling like corsair h60/h80 and place it at front. for elite120 you can remove its hdd cage for water cooling. and use its odd bay for hdd. and for sg05, you have to mod your case to fit a hdd if you want to use watercooling.

for air cooling, elite120 should only fit its proc stock cooler. because imho, at that height (65mm) the only hsf you can buy just from scythe, and their cooling performance are much the same as stock cooler. (shuriken family, kozuti)
    i dont know what about sg05. maybe around 80mm.

and i believe that most 1155 itx mainboard are really a pain in the as* when it come to cpu coolers choice.

btw, why dont you pick an ivy? does your mainboard come with a pcie gen 3.0?
    if its so, then you should pick ivy proc to achieve its gen 3.0 pcie. (for hd7xxx and 660ti)
    if you choose sandy, than hd 7xxx or 660ti will run at pcie 2.1, not pcie 3.0.

for the mainboard, you may reconsider to use z77. you can go with asus or asrock.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Silverstone Elite Build Components Product