Mrsquirreleo

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
I found an old sound card from days yonder and im wondering if it will improve the sound quaility over the onboard audio.

Its a very old Sound Blaster PCI 128

1283339230_creative-sound-blaster-pci-128.jpg

I believe that its from the Windows 98 era so even if it would improve the quality of the sound I have a bad feeling that it would not work very well with windows 7.

What do you guys think

Mrsquirreleo

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012

Well I was able to find a driver update for windows xp but I don't know how well that would work with 7 plus I would still have to find the original driver to update it

nna2

Distinguished

it might work, but i've only had issues trying to get XP things to work in 7

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Nope it would actually have worse sound quality. I would be surprised if it even had 48khz 16bit audio. All onboard audio made in the last 5 years has 24 bit audio which is a huge step above a 1995 sound blaster about 10x better than the sound blaster.

Mrsquirreleo

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
I found the manual online and it turns out it only is at max 16bit

So I guess it sucks sound wise, but I does have that port on the back for an midi device or and old joystick which could come in handy considering I like to collect old computer stuff

Mrsquirreleo

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012

They have adapters for those old things? Could you post me a link to one?, I have no clue what you call those old ports so I would have a hard time finding whatever its called

nna2

Distinguished
0.0 i wish i knew viewing american newegg links was as easy as clearing my cache...

im kind of suprised how expensive such a simple looking cord is

Mrsquirreleo

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
I was actually looking after you linked that link and I found that windows 7 has no support for a gameport (thats their common name) so basically if I wanted to use a game port I would most likely have to boot into windows xp (maybe even 98) so maybe I'll just build a pc with the specs of a 98 computer, should be really cheap (floppy drive and all)