Seeing no FPS increase when enabling SLI

Ph0enix33

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Hello all,

As the title says, I have run into an issue regarding my GPUs. While playing WoW or SWToR, I have noticed that turning SLI on does little to nothing to boost my FPS. Vsync is off, so I am not merely capping at 60. In cities I get around 40 FPS with SLI disabled, and 44 or so with it on, which seems very low for 2 570's in SLI accompanied with a 2700k processor, and get as low as 20 FPS in 25 man raids. To me, this performance is simply unacceptable for having such high end items. I am using the latest drivers for everything, mobo, GPU etc, but nothing has changed my FPS aside from overclocking my CPU, which should be able to handle WoW with no trouble even at stock speeds. I have tried using both cards independently, so I know neither card is broken, and Blizzard has issued an official statement saying WoW fully supports SLI, so that is not the problem either. I have reseated both cards and the SLI bridge. If anyone has any suggestions or explanation as to why this is the case, please post!

System Specs:
Win 7 64 bit HP
2x GTX 570
16GB 1600 RAM
Corsair H100 Cooler
1050W PSU

Ph0enix33

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Well, as the OP mentions, my goal here is not only to increase FPS, but also understand exactly why SLI is doing next to nothing for my frame rate. I will give the HT a try, but in the mean time, I am really wanting to sort through the whole SLI problem.
Thanks

rshillshooter81

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
It's very possible that the gpu's are cpu limited.

I run much higher end stuff then you and I see no benefit at all running sli in WoW...

Why don't you try doing some other tests with and without the sli enabled , 3dmark ect.

I have heard that SLI does not work great (well it works fine, it just don't do a whole lot) in WOW, and I have also heard to go into the nVidia Control Panel and changed Preferred Method to Alternate Frame rendering 2 and it helps. WOW is mostly a CPU bound game, does not require a lot of GPU power, it likes more cores and a fast CPU.

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
SLI is currently broken for SWTOR, you can fix it by doing the following:

This issue could be fixed at any time and may already be fixed at the time of this post. You will also need to re-do this fix any time you update your driver until the issue has been resolved. A new driver is out today (2/21/12) not sure if this issue was resolved or not.

First DL and install the latest Nvidia BETA driver here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Next DL NvidiaInspector. You can find it easy with a Google search.

Extract, and run the program.

**use caution and ONLY make the changes listed below or you can really mess up the driver**

Right click and "View Image" for full size pics

Click the button circled below.
59316451.png

Click the Drop down menu.
(Ignore any of the other settings or data you see in these pics as they may be different for your card)
58905067.png

Find "Star Wars: The Old Republic" like pictured below from the massive list of games. There are a few games with similar titles, make sure you get that exact one.
81110063.png

Click the "Add application to current profile" button circled below, Navigate to the "Launcher.exe" file underlined below located in your SWTOR folder and click open.
16627959.png

You should now see "Launcher.exe,swtor.exe," as circled below.
38576256.png

Click the "Apply Changes" button circled below.
97003054.png

Use the drop down menu again and locate "WRC 2011" or something like that, its a soccer game and I think it was the last game in the "W's". Once that profile is selected click the "Delete Current Profile" button circled below. Click confirm, or yes if any box pops up asking if you want to delete. This profile needs to be removed because it also contains a "Launcher.exe" file and it will cause a conflict with SWTOR if left in. (Ignore the fact that this pic shows the SWTOR profile as I didn't have the WRC 2011 profile anymore to take a pic of)
83720820.png

Click "Apply Changes" again if needed and close the program. SLI should now work properly for SWTOR. If you screwed something up by accident along the way you can either use the restore button or uninstall and reinstall the driver again to reset back to default.
97003054.png

Enjoy!

That can also be done from the NV control panel, so does NvidiaInspector work any differently?