Sign in with
Your question

Problem with power.

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2012 1:25:25 PM

Ok here is my problem, just happened today.

I started my PC up and all was fine, about a min later I heard a very faint pop and all the power went out.
Started it up and didn't even get to post and then I heard a pop and power went out.

So now I know something evil is afoot, so I get on the floor, take the side off, turn it on,
Pop & power goes out.

First thing I thought of was the PSU.
So I turn off all my case fans to hear better, but still cant
figure out where the pop is comming from.

I tried placing my hand on various spots to see if I could feel any kind of vibration, but didn't.
(was wondering if it was a mechanical problem)

So I finally have it going. So far so good, no more pops.

Any Idea what it could be?

If it's a PSU problem thats ok, but if my CPU is going out i'll be upset because I just got another 4 GB of ram
that will be here monday or tuesday.

I built my system the beginning of 2010 so it's till newish.

MY system:

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz

Mobo: ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i

Ram: x2 CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (currently only one set installed as the other set it still on its way.)

* Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black w/ a Scythe SY1225SL12SH 120mm fan installed and X2 Scythe KM02-BK 5.25" Bay Fan Controller to control all the fans.

GPU: EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

CPU cooler: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler.

So there is the rundown.
Anyone got any Ideas?
Thanks,
David

Edit: The * denotes it's brand new, less then one month old.

More about : problem power

a b B Homebuilt system
April 29, 2012 4:24:38 PM

both the power supply and motherboard have capacitors. if one of the capacitors pop you will need to replace the part. make sure the motherboard is not shorting out on anything like one of the metal stands where there is not a mounting hole on the motherboard.
m
l
!