Folder password protection

Hello,
I am using Windows XP professional on my laptop and I am always worried
about my laptop gets stolen and I am wondering if its possible that I can
apply password protection on a windows folder? Any hints or suggestions
will be appreciated. Thank you.
3 answers Last reply
More about folder password protection

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

    HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874 "

    To password protect your account:

    .. Select the Control Panel from the Start Menu
    .. Click on User Accounts
    .. Click on Change an Account
    .. Click on the User's Account for which you want to create the password
    .. Click on Create a Password
    .. Type in the new Password
    .. Confirm the new Password by typing it in a second time (the two must match for the
    password to created)
    .. Create a password hint
    .. Click on Create Password

    To change your password, follow the same procedure as above except select Change
    Password.

    or
    You can password protect a branch of folders, such as your personal account on a
    computer used by multiple people but you cannot apply a password to a folder or a
    file.

    You can however compress or ZIP the file or folder you want to password protect and
    then you can apply a password to the Compressed Folder or ZIP file.

    To do this:-

    1. Open a folder, such as the My Documents folder.
    2. Choose File>New>Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    3. Type the folder's name and press the Enter key.
    Make sure you add the ZIP extension if you've set Windows to display filename
    extensions.
    4. Copy some files into the Compressed Folder.
    5. Open the Compressed Folder
    6. Choose File>Add Password
    7. Enter the Password.
    8. Type the password again to confirm.
    9. Click OK.

    Note: Do not forget the password or you're screwed.

    If you try to open/extract a file from the Compressed Folder, you'll be prompted for
    the password.

    "Alex Martinez" <alex_martinez@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I am using Windows XP professional on my laptop and I am always worried about my
    > laptop gets stolen and I am wondering if its possible that I can apply password
    > protection on a windows folder? Any hints or suggestions will be appreciated.
    > Thank you.

    Is it possible to password or otherwise protect an entire hard drive, or at
    least a folder on it. My computer itself is secure (as much as it can be)
    from unwanted access, but what about the secondary drive if it's removed and
    placed into another computer?

    "Taurarian" wrote:

    > HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418
    >
    > HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419
    >
    > HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874 "
    >
    > To password protect your account:
    >
    > .. Select the Control Panel from the Start Menu
    > .. Click on User Accounts
    > .. Click on Change an Account
    > .. Click on the User's Account for which you want to create the password
    > .. Click on Create a Password
    > .. Type in the new Password
    > .. Confirm the new Password by typing it in a second time (the two must match for the
    > password to created)
    > .. Create a password hint
    > .. Click on Create Password
    >
    > To change your password, follow the same procedure as above except select Change
    > Password.
    >
    > or
    > You can password protect a branch of folders, such as your personal account on a
    > computer used by multiple people but you cannot apply a password to a folder or a
    > file.
    >
    > You can however compress or ZIP the file or folder you want to password protect and
    > then you can apply a password to the Compressed Folder or ZIP file.
    >
    > To do this:-
    >
    > 1. Open a folder, such as the My Documents folder.
    > 2. Choose File>New>Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    > 3. Type the folder's name and press the Enter key.
    > Make sure you add the ZIP extension if you've set Windows to display filename
    > extensions.
    > 4. Copy some files into the Compressed Folder.
    > 5. Open the Compressed Folder
    > 6. Choose File>Add Password
    > 7. Enter the Password.
    > 8. Type the password again to confirm.
    > 9. Click OK.
    >
    > Note: Do not forget the password or you're screwed.
    >
    > If you try to open/extract a file from the Compressed Folder, you'll be prompted for
    > the password.
    >

    > "Alex Martinez" <alex_martinez@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > > I am using Windows XP professional on my laptop and I am always worried about my
    > > laptop gets stolen and I am wondering if its possible that I can apply password
    > > protection on a windows folder? Any hints or suggestions will be appreciated.
    > > Thank you.

    Password Protect lets you protect folders on the hard drive, external
    and removable drives:
    http://www.password-protect-software.com/

    --
    Tuborg

Configuration Laptops Customization Windows XP