How do you resize digital images for printing?

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 27, 2005 1:55:39 PM

I take pictures with Sony T1 P&S camera (5.1 MP) and images are then
downloaded onto HD.
All images are in jpg format. I use Photoshop v. 7 for resizing pictures
for printing.
All pictures taken with Sony T1 camera came out to be 6 x 4.5 ratio.
The paper size is 6" x 4", which is one of the most popular size for
printing.
So I must crop out about 0.5 inch to fit to the paper size.
Cropping is very inconvenient when dealing with lots of images.
Is there anyway automatically resize all images to 6 x 4 ratio from 6 x 4.5
ratio? Satoshi
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 4:32:07 PM

Hi Satoshi!
If you do any cropping, better see first what you crop. On certain pictures,
you might want to keep the left / upper /right... side (whatever), but I
doubt you want to crop every image the same way.
A thought
Marcel

"Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 9p8gk$fid$1@reader2.nmix.net...
> I take pictures with Sony T1 P&S camera (5.1 MP) and images are then
> downloaded onto HD.
> All images are in jpg format. I use Photoshop v. 7 for resizing pictures
> for printing.
> All pictures taken with Sony T1 camera came out to be 6 x 4.5 ratio.
> The paper size is 6" x 4", which is one of the most popular size for
> printing.
> So I must crop out about 0.5 inch to fit to the paper size.
> Cropping is very inconvenient when dealing with lots of images.
> Is there anyway automatically resize all images to 6 x 4 ratio from 6 x
4.5
> ratio? Satoshi

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 6:03:54 PM

To add to the other responses: If your cam is 3:4 ratio then printing
to a standard 5x7 size print crops very little off the long side.
This means you don't have to crop too much out of your otherwise
well-composed pic, or if you order/make "zoomed" prints so there is no
white border on the short edge then there is little lost ... and, it's
nice having a larger print, too :)
June 27, 2005 6:03:55 PM

I just looked at the manual for the Sony camera.
I now found that there are two choices for 5M images size:
5M (2592 x 1944): factory default setting.
3:2 (2592 x 1728).

It is now clear that by choosing 3:2 setting, no mess with resizing.
All are now wet.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Satoshi

"Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
> To add to the other responses: If your cam is 3:4 ratio then printing to
> a standard 5x7 size print crops very little off the long side. This means
> you don't have to crop too much out of your otherwise well-composed pic,
> or if you order/make "zoomed" prints so there is no white border on the
> short edge then there is little lost ... and, it's nice having a larger
> print, too :)
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 8:14:14 PM

"Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:D 9p8gk$fid$1@reader2.nmix.net...
>I take pictures with Sony T1 P&S camera (5.1 MP) and images are then downloaded onto HD.
> All images are in jpg format. I use Photoshop v. 7 for resizing pictures for printing.
> All pictures taken with Sony T1 camera came out to be 6 x 4.5 ratio.
> The paper size is 6" x 4", which is one of the most popular size for printing.
> So I must crop out about 0.5 inch to fit to the paper size.
> Cropping is very inconvenient when dealing with lots of images.
> Is there anyway automatically resize all images to 6 x 4 ratio from 6 x 4.5 ratio?
> Satoshi

I usually print from Irfanview. It has an option called "Best fit to page"
that will automatically print whitespace on top and bottom, or left
and right, as needed to print the whole image. However that won't be
what you want if you want to fill the entire 6x4 field.

Alan
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 8:39:12 PM

>Is there anyway automatically resize all images to 6 x 4 ratio from 6 x 4.5
>ratio? Satoshi
If you resize 6x4.5 down to 6 x 4 you will distort the final pic.
They must be croped.
With resize you are pushing 4.5 into 4.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 8:39:13 PM

I don't push 4.5" into 4".
I simply crop 0.5" from either top or bottom area.

My question is how I should print 6 x 4.5 image to 6 x 4 paper size without
cropping.
Sony camera seems to have an inherent design problem.

Satoshi

<London@am2ma.eu> wrote in message
> >Is there anyway automatically resize all images to 6 x 4 ratio from 6 x
> >4.5
>>ratio? Satoshi
> If you resize 6x4.5 down to 6 x 4 you will distort the final pic.
> They must be croped.
> With resize you are pushing 4.5 into 4.

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:45:32 PM

On 6/27/05 12:16 PM, in article d9pd85$hlo$1@reader2.nmix.net, "Satoshi"
<machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't push 4.5" into 4".
> I simply crop 0.5" from either top or bottom area.
>
> My question is how I should print 6 x 4.5 image to 6 x 4 paper size without
> cropping.
> Sony camera seems to have an inherent design problem.
>
> Satoshi

The way to do this in Photoshop is to size your original image to something
slightly smaller than 6x4. For example resize 5.5x4. That way your whole
image will fit on a 6x4 paper size without cropping.
When printing you then have two choices: Center your image on a selected
paper size of 6x4 OR create a 6x4 canvas size in PS and paste your slightly
smaller image onto the 6x4 canvas. That way your total picture size is 6x4
while maintaining the aspect ratio or your original uncropped image.
As stated below, any other method of resizing without cropping will distort
your original image.
Chuck

> <London@am2ma.eu> wrote in message
>>> Is there anyway automatically resize all images to 6 x 4 ratio from 6 x
>>> 4.5
>>> ratio? Satoshi
>> If you resize 6x4.5 down to 6 x 4 you will distort the final pic.
>> They must be croped.
>> With resize you are pushing 4.5 into 4.

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:21:31 PM

In addition to resizing or cropping the image you have to take into account
the minimum border your printer requires, i.e. the area in which it cannot
print as this is not always symmetric around all 4 sides of the paper. If
your printer can print borderless this may help you achieve whatever you are
trying to do.
June 28, 2005 2:34:03 AM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:21:31 GMT, "bmoag" <aemd@verizon.net> wrote:

>In addition to resizing or cropping the image you have to take into account
>the minimum border your printer requires, i.e. the area in which it cannot
>print as this is not always symmetric around all 4 sides of the paper. If
>your printer can print borderless this may help you achieve whatever you are
>trying to do.

I always make sure I have a border around the non-print areas so that I wouldn't
have a problem, but the program still said that there were areas that wouldn't
print, which wasn't true.

Then I realized that the software wasn't looking for data in those areas, it was
just going by size!
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 3:16:35 AM

"Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:D 9pd85$hlo$1@reader2.nmix.net:

> I don't push 4.5" into 4".
> I simply crop 0.5" from either top or bottom area.
>
> My question is how I should print 6 x 4.5 image to 6 x 4 paper size
> without cropping.
> Sony camera seems to have an inherent design problem.

Why do you say that? Many digitals use the 4:3 aspect ratio. It simply
doesn't fit the 6:4 ratio, which became popular because it matches 35 mm
negatives. If you wanted a 5x7 print, your digital would be a slightly
better match than you get with 35 mm, and if you wanted 8x10, the digital
would be much better. Does 35 mm have an inherent design problem?

--
Steve Gray
sgray2@cfl.rr.com